1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old faithfull refurbished - Coleman #1 1923

Discussion in 'Coleman No:1' started by flivver, Oct 1, 2011.

1. flivver

flivver United States Subscriber

Hi all: Here is my old first model earliest version 1923 Coleman #1. Coleman's first stove finally refurbished. (There were two later versions of this #1 stove) Doc first posted it here in 08' for me before I was able to post photos when it was still a rust bucket. I refurbished a #1 first version about a year ago which is also posted here and was sold on E-bay. I decided it was high time to get around to my trusty but tattered #1 I have had for so many years. The final straw was the Mid-Hills Cailf. Stove Gathering about a year and a half ago when we got stormed upon, blizzard, 70 mi an hour winds and horizontal rain. Try as I did to dry my already rusty stove, the next time I opened it, she was a rusty mess. I tried to do this refurbishment in as a factory correct manner as possible. The paint is semi-gloss as original and I painted all items that were originally painted. I call this a refurbish rather than a restore as this is a user stove. and preservation not perfection was the goal. Mike...

These photos show the unique features of the first version of the 1923 Coleman #1. Here she is all refurbished.

1317506952-SANY1594_1_1_1.JPG

1317506994-SANY1595_1_1.JPG

Note first #1 features: Manual air valve above pump and patents applied for stencil.
    1317507033-SANY1596_1_1.JPG

Note unattached oven.
    1317507096-SANY1598_1_1.JPG

1317507125-SANY1599_1_1.JPG

1317507196-SANY1600_1_1_1.JPG

1317507304-SANY1601_1_1.JPG

Her cool flame photo
    1317507351-SANY1604_1_1.JPG

Her before picture. Note incorrect air valve knob was replaced.
    1317507386-Coleman__1_over_view__2__1_1.jpg

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

Great job Mike.

Like a Model T of stoves - any colour provided it's black and the precursor of a long line.

I'm tinkering with a Handy Gas Plant at the moment, so those 'slit' burners are a familiar sight.

John

3. RonPH

Mike, astounding restoration job :thumbup: may I ask if you also stensiled out the letters? Really really pro job.

Ron

4. flivver

Hi Ron: Thank you. Gary had them made for us, as no one was making the early version stencil. I don't remember who did them, it has been a while. Mike...

5. hikin_jim United States

Mike! Is that really the same stove as I saw at the Stove Gathering? Wow! What a difference. Fabulous job. :clap:

HJ

6. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy Subscriber

Hi Mike,

Straight off the show room floor! Super nice!

sam

7. Gordon United States

Gorgeous! Just frigging gorgeous!!! :D/ :D/ :D/

8. flivver

Thank you for the kind comments. My main focus was to preserve the stove and to do it in an exactly factory correct manner as possible. I hope it will be of help with future restorations. There is a restored late version of a #1 posted here that is with out doubt the most beautiful Coleman #1, or Coleman suitcase period!!!!, I have ever seen. However the restoration while awesome is not factory correct. My purpose was also to help future collectors to know the differences between the early and later versions of the Coleman #1 in the event they wished to add one to their own collection. I will be happy to answer any questions. Mike...

9. Sparky

Sparky United States Subscriber

Mike, super job! Can you share what colors and brand of paint you used? I restored a ca 1930 AGM/Sears 2-burner and could not match the paint accurately. It looked black in the shade and a very dark metallic green in the sun.

10. flivver

Hi Sparky: After some discussion on correct type paint as far as looks were concerned it was Bernie Dawg (Gary) that came up with the paint suggestion. It is "Dupli-Color" simi-gloss black engine enamel #DE1635. We wanted the correct simi-gloss look with heat, chemical resistance and overall durably. I purchased it from an auto parts store. I tested it on the other #1 I refurbished that was sold on E-Bay, it had a fair amount of use and held up well. Mike...

11. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

I recall this memorable photo of the Coleman that Flivver posted in the Action Gallery a while back

1317677236-Coleman__1.jpg

"Evening dinner"

John

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. flivver

Hi John: Thanks for bringing back the memories. That was a very pleasant evening. Got to use some of my WW1 kit too. This old stove has been my main user for smaller cookouts for around 30 yrs now. I use the Clayton & Lambert 3 burner for the big cookouts. Mike...

13. flivver

Hi all: I have been asked repeatedly to post pictures of and explain the
    Coleman method of "Hot Blast" pre-heating on early Coleman Stoves. I will go through the procedure as it pertains to the Coleman #1 in this thread. One first pumps the tank, then positions the generator over the primer cup, opens the generator valve to fill the cup with Coleman fuel, turns off the valve and lights the fuel. When fuel is almost exhausted and generator is sufficiently hot, while leaving the generator in it's present position over the primmer cup, open valve and relight. You now have the famous Coleman "Hot Blast" which is a true blow torch effect, with roaring sound caused by the vaporized fuel exiting the generator and being forced back over the generator by the concave shape formed by the rear of the primmer cup. The generator will become red hot in minutes and the burner manifold can be shifted over to the generator allowing the burners to be lighted for cooking. See photo's below. Mike...

Primmer cup aligned with generator
    1320250012-SANY1616_1_1.JPG

Fuel preheating generator
    1320250044-SANY1618_1_1.JPG

"Hot blast" in daylight
    1320250067-SANY1619_1_1.JPG

"Hot Blast" in the dark
    1320250087-SANY1620_1_1.JPG

Lighted stove
    1320250121-SANY1626_1_1.JPG

Flames in the dark
    1320250143-SANY1625_1_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  14. RonPH

Hey Mike, nice flame shots.

ATB

Ron

15. flivver

Hi All: I finally found a photo of the above stove as it looked just before refurbishment. The rusty photo in the original threat is several years old as this photo was hiding from me. Mike...

If one looks closely you can see "Patents applied for" under Coleman and dashes painted on the tank. It was very faint and this is the only photo I have that shows it well enough. If you restore a #1 please not not add "patents applied for" unless it was there in the first place as this denotes only one of the several #1 variations.

Pic.jpg

Mike

16. hikerduane

hikerduane United States Subscriber

flivver, nice job.
    Duane

17. toonsgt

Beautiful job!! I love the fact that you also USE your stove. That's the way it should be in my opinion. They will last several lifetimes if used and cared for properly, and I don't get near as much joy from a stove on a shelf. Thanks, Mike!

Mike

18. Ian

Ian United Kingdom Subscriber

Cracking job, Mike. Very nice indeed.
    Reminds me I must get my Gypsy #10 sorted...

19. Centuryhouse United States

Very cool, great restoration job!