Older Coleman 2-burner Model 431

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by JoeH, Aug 20, 2010.

1. JoeH

Bit of help please? Bought this new in Canada in the 70s. Never have taken it apart but have taken good care of it & am attached to it! Use it maybe twice every year. Now, it has a fuel leak where the fuel control valve assy. connects to the fuel tank. VERY hard to find a manual or a decent parts diagram you can read! (even from Coleman). I assume it just unscrews but don't want to mess it up! I guess I should also give the stove some kind of tune up, at least clean generator tip? But have never done. Going to the Boundary Waters in 2 weeks. Thanks!

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Hey Joe (sorry!) - welcome to CCS.

Is this it here? - click on the link.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. JoeH

Well, it's a 413 instead of my 431, but it sure LOOKS like the same stove! Thanks -- maybe I just get new parts from the "A" diagram -- but if anyone else has comments on a stove tune up, would appreciate it!

4. Knight84

The 431 easi-lite. Not a stove you seen often.
    What year is yours? The date code could be on the tabs of the tank or on the stove case I believe.

So it is leaking where the valve screws into the tank? Strange. There is not seal there. It may just need another turn. The valve also needs a new oring I am sure.

Coleman Canada might have the manual for your stove.

Jeff

5. itchy

I agree with Jeff. If the connection at the tank was leaking I would expect you to loose pressure, but not necessarily fuel (I might be wrong). I have seen a small leak from the control valve cause a little pool of fuel to accumulate in the depression at the tank connection. Are you sure it is at the tank? Does it leak as soon as you pressurize the tank, or only when you open the valve? If the latter, little tightening of the compression nut may be all that is necessary.

As to a "tune up". If you have been using Coleman fuel the generator is probably ok. Other than that, oil the pump leather, check for insect or arachnid generated obstructions and add some fresh fuel, and give it a test run.

6. JoeH

Thanks so much to you two -- after looking again, seems the leak is not at the tank but at the control, and yes, it does "pool" in the depression, and does so at the beginning of the burning, and even after valve is off, but not so much during stove burning. So, pressure overall seems to be OK. I'll check the screw, ring, etc. GLAD to hear that I may not have to tune it up; frankly I can't believe it still works well; it's 37 years old at least, but I have taken good care of it. THANKS guys! I'll report back in few days!

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

HI, Joe,

Welcome to CCS! At our recent CASG4, I had a similar leak from my old Coleman 426, three-burner stove. Afraid to do too much cranking, I first checked with Flivver (Mike), one of our Coleman Guys here at CCS. He told me to clamp the control valve someway, then to gently crank the generator rod a bit tighter. VOILA, that was the solution!! Worked like a champ after that, without a single drop of fuel coming out. Easy, pleasy, pudding and pie!! Check your own generator, and see if it might need a slight tightening turn. Doesn't take much of a turn to stop the leak, either. Just beware that the control valve body is clamped tightly, so you don't blow that thing apart! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. JoeH

No date anywhere but it shows the generator part number as: 412-A 262.

No manuals in USA for the 431 & no cross-ref to a US model number; strange.

9. JoeH

Interesting! Thanks! What's best way to hold the control valve without breaking it? Should I take the plastic control knob off first? Hey, thanks much... Joe

10. Doc Mark

Hey, Joe ("...where you goin' with that stove in your hand"??!!)

There, David, I joined in with you in a walk down musical memory lane!! :thumbup: :D/ :D 8)

Sorry, Joe, got carried away.... When I tightened up my generator at CASG4, I used a large crescent wrench to hold the square block on the control valve, then took a pair of Vise-grips, and holding them up close to where the generator screws into the valve block, I slowly put some elbow grease into it, and it tightened up, just a tiny bit. That's all that was needed, and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

11. Knight84

This was the second golden age for Coleman Canada I believe. They made some great stoves, lanterns, and heaters like the Coleman 519. Though the valve designs were different they worked well.
    Canada made stoves/lanterns had different models than Coleman USA. And different model numbers for the most part during this time.

From what I can tell the 431 has no direct American stove. The 412 is close. There was a 432 (2 burner) and 433 (3 burner) also.

Jeff

12. JoeH

Thanks for info, guys. I have an update.

First, about a NEW Coleman 2-burner, model 424 that I bought spring of '09 -- it had leaked badly (bought it NEW!) but your tip re turning the gen tube worked GREAT for this stove; I turned it maybe 1/16" -- made me very happy! I bought it since my old 431 was acting up & I was going to BWCA.

Now, for the old 431: I turned the gen tube; it did not fix the leak but improved it a bit. I took the control knob off, removed the 9/16" brass nut. Wanted to use Locktite on it but could not find my Locktite so used plumbing thread tape, and replaced the nut securely -- well, it still leaks, but not as bad: only when the control knob is on the OFF position! If I unscrew the tank cap to relieve pressure, the leak stops of course.

I'll find my Locktite and see if that's better -- or if you have another idea. But otherwise, the 431 is now working BETTER THAN EVER, even though I haven't really done much of anything to it.

13. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Ok, so now that you've got it working, any chance we could see some pics of your 431? I've got a few suitcase stoves myself and have never seen a 431. Would like to see the differences from other Coleman suitcase stoves. We love pictures and lots of them!

Great to have you on the forum.

sam

14. JoeH

Sure, I can probably do today!

15. Doc Mark

Hi, Joe,

You are very welcome, Sir. I got that tip from Flivver, at our recent CASG4, and used it on one of my stoves there. Worked perfectly. Glad it worked for you, and a tip 'o the hat to Flivver, for the original idea! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  16. flivver United States

Hi all: Glad you got it fixed. I have found from working on Coleman's over the years most leaks can be fixed by "slight" tightening as Coleman fittings either have tapered thread or compression packing. Some of these fittings screw into fragile cast fittings so be sure (as Doc said: to support them when tightening). Coleman's almost "never" require and disassembly to fix a leak. Mike...

17. JoeH

Yeah, great to know that. Was busy today buying & packing food & staples & gear for a Boundary Waters (BWCA) trip for 12 people in 10 days, so will get pics of the 431 uploaded tomorrow. If you haven't been to the BWCA, I highly recommend it -- it's a tough go but you have one MILLION acres of lakes and rivers and land to navigate, with NO sign of human intervention -- peace and quiet at its best! Our license plates on our 4-Runner = "BWCA4VR" !! Some people get it...

18. JoeH

OK, so here are pics taken in basement at night with a light so not the best... I can shoot outside and with a better camera if anyone wants better quality. WELL, some of the pics were too large to download so will continue later... Thanks, Guys! Joe 1282452929-DSC01750.jpg 1282452954-DSC01752.jpg 1282452972-DSC01753.jpg 1282452987-DSC01754.jpg 1282453001-DSC01756.jpg 1282453017-DSC01757.jpg 1282453058-DSC01761.jpg 1282453079-DSC01762.jpg 1282453098-DSC01763.jpg 1282453115-DSC01764.jpg 1282453133-DSC01765.jpg 1282453158-DSC01768.jpg 1282453205-DSC01771.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  19. idahostoveguy

idahostoveguy R.I.P.

Wow! That is very different than many of the other suitcases of the same era. That fuel control knob, in particular, is very different. The other burner control is nothing like the 425s or 413s. Soooo, differnt. The two piece bottom is even more interesting, probably for air intake?

Is the tank really orange? Or is that my monitor?

Overall, it has that early 425 square edge look too it. I like it.

Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

sam

20. JoeH

The tank -- That's the lighting -- it is actually the beautiful old wonderful Coleman red. I'll do some daylight pics in next few days. It's interesting that the stove is "different" ... I don't have much to compare it to... Well, thanks for the observations!