On the cusp of a new adventure....

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by It'l Dodat, Feb 14, 2019.

1. CW

CW United States Subscriber

If you run petrol be sure it's unleaded. Leaded fumes are toxic

2. It'l Dodat

Hi Ed, No offence taken, many thanks for the advice.

Solid fuel / pressure stoves are, as this discussion is titled, "on the cusp of a new adventure", a completely new adventure for me.

I've never owned one, and this one was gifted to me from a fella who is +- 1000Km from where I live... Outshoorn to Johannesburg.

Somewhere in this adventure, someone said to me that it will work on methylated spirits... So I tried....

Ok, so there is hope, like my WW II field issue pressure stove, (which BTW I've only got this month) it's 93 octane petrol.....

So I live and learn !

3. It'l Dodat

Hi Ed.

As per the thread title, on the cusp of a new adventure, Pressure stoves are a new adveenture for me, I've never had one.

This stove was gifted to me from a fella who lives about 1000Km from where I live.

Somewhere along the journey, somebody said to me that in the absence of fuels such as CF meths would work, so I tried...

Ok so it's 93 octane petrol and is the same as my WW II Field issue petrol stove that I also got me mitts on only this month...

I'll be giving that a bash then...
    stove field petrol f windshield and instructions.jpg

4. It'l Dodat

OK, so I waffled on about a camp kitchen / chuck box for pressure stoves, that would marry nicely with pressure stoves. well I actually had a lot of success, and have gone from concept to putting just about everything in place, I've now just got to make it look homogenous and marry it too the tent I have in mind.... Anyhow here are a whol bunch of pics.

Here is one almost final layout

kestrel kitchen a overview.jpg kestrel kitchen aa packed up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2019
  5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    The fuel for this stove, in its unbranded form, is naphtha.

Using modern gasoline will rapidly ruin your stove.

Sometimes naphtha is call “white gas”.

Tony

6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

General sources for CF alternatives can be either fuel used in 4 stroke garden machinery, Aspen brand here in the UK and elsewhere, or degreasant used in car body resprayers, known as slow panel wipe.

7. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Have you got a date on that No.2 Mk2? There are a couple of postwar features there but that's not to say it hasn't been through the workshops for a clean-up over the years.

Alec.

8. It'l Dodat

Hi Tony...

Ok so I’ve done a search on the net, and I still don’t see where I can get it here in SA... I’ll try the panel shop down the road, but if the fuel is not generally available, I think I’m driving down a dead end with these pressure stoves.

Which, in itself, is a good thing as I’ve got my rheumy right eye on an unused 100 % complete, R8, but the fella wants R2500 which is around 350 USD?

So if the fuel’s not available, no sense in laying that out.

So, for now, what would the “damage consequences” be if I used petrol 93 octane?

Rangie.......... The Number 2 MK II

The fella I bought it from says that it was issued to a particular troop carrier called the “Ratel”

(Go google that piece of military hardware, and you will get the shock of your life... Bear in mind it was developed and made here during the height of sanctions... We South Africans can be quite a creative lot)....

But I wobble off topic, I’m old so I’m allowed to... ask the mod...

Anyhow, the one that was issued to the Ratel was modified to run on diesel. This one distinctly says, in the red instruction panel.... designed to run on unleaded petrol, (and it does, on 93 octain.....like a real roarer)!

So from comments ETC I’m of the opinion it is from the WW II era, but to answer your question, no dates or marks that I can see.

But I’m no expert whatsoever, and if someone could peg it for me I’d be very happy
    Hope this bunch of pics helps you.

stove field petrol n carry handle.jpg stove field petrol n upside down is right way.jpg stove field petrol m closed and secured closed.jpg stove field petrol l flame control knob.jpg stove field petrol k accessory funnel for filling.jpg stove field petrol j grid upside down perhaps.jpg stove field petrol k grid right way perhaps.jpg stove field petrol j ready to be  fuelled.jpg stove field petrol i pressure pump unlatched.jpg stove field petrol h pressure pump latched.jpg stove field petrol g burner in position.jpg stove field petrol f windshield and instructions.jpg stove field petrol e all the accesories.jpg stove field petrol d spares cover latch disengage.jpg stove field petrol c spares cover latch engaged.jpg stove field petrol b lid open.jpg stove field petrol a front ready to be opened up.jpg

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @It’l Dodat

Naphtha “Panel Wipe” that panel beaters use (not water based panel wipe) is fine.

Modern gasoline with all their additives will clog the burner eventually.

There are RSA members here and at CPL. Someone there should know where to get correct fuel. I’ll ask Phil.

Tony

10. Marc

Marc Subscriber

11. It'l Dodat

Hi Marc many taaaaaaaas, I'l give that a try.

12. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Welcome!

Do wait for someone else to verify my findings. I've no experience with SA fuels, this possibility is purely from a few minutes search of local hardware stores, brands they carried, and products those brands manufactured. It could be erroneous and while I'd probably try it in my own stove based on what I found, I'd hate for someone else to damage their equipment based on my advice.

@phaedrus42 Could you please advise?

13. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

In this thread https://classiccampstoves.com/threa...00-with-1947-seafoam-fount.34116/#post-349361 I posted about the fuel I use instead of Coleman Camp Fuel. It is called Pre-Clean, distributed by Prem Chem and is available in 5 liter plastic jugs from some auto paint outlets.

Cleaning Benzene is not recommended because, being a ring-shaped molecule, it contains fewer hydrogen atoms than straight chain molecules do and therefore releases less heat with more carbon monoxide and more soot. Also, it is carcinogenic when in contact with skin.

pre-clean.jpg

14. Marc

Marc Subscriber

15. goldwinger11

goldwinger11 United States Subscriber

South African benzine would be closer to alcohol in characteristics. It will burn warmer but is carcinogenic and will attack the nervous system. Made an excellent cleaner degreaser though. Used to be my go to solvent.