Optimus 00 Restoration

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Paul S-D, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Paul S-D United Kingdom

Hello to all classic stove experts.

I have just rediscovered my dad’s 1950s Optimus No 00 Stove in my mum’s loft - it has not been lit for over 40 years, yet I would love to restore it to full working order as a way of paying my respects and honouring my dad - it’s still full of fuel - could anyone please advise what I should do to start the restoration ? Thanks very much for your help. Paul S-D

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    If it has not been lit for 40 years, you will have to change the washers and seals. You can get an excellent set off The Fettle Box (link on home page).

The Optimus 00 is an excellent stove, so getting it going will be a very good thing.

You might want to keep the patine (or not), so look through here:

Stove restoration. Parts 1 to 4

This is a different stove, but might be useful:

Full fettle of a Primus No.30

Cheers

Tony

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Paul S-D welcome to CCS.

I would advise:

1. Study how one of these “roarer” burner stove works:

Stove Lighting instructions

2. Give the stove a basic clean and dispose of the existing vintage fuel.

3. Replace seals and washers, which will have deteriorated over the years. The Fettlebox, advertised on this page can sell you a washer set.

4. Add fresh kerosene fuel, prime with methylated spirits, pre-heat and get the stove operating.

5. Once you confirm everything is working well, you can make your stove look pretty and polish it if you wish.

Stove restoration. Parts 1 to 4

Good Luck and any questions, just ask.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

It's all great advice. I'd follow it after I tried to see if it would fire up as is (with a proper prime), including with the old fuel. I'd bet a buck it would. You'd also have to prick the jet.

But then, that's just me....but it would make a nice classic stove story if in fact it lit right up after 40 years. With kerosene, I see minimal risk. Outdoors.

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, @Paul S-D ,

Welcome to CCS!! I agree with the others that the 00 is a fantastic stove, and I also think @Ed Winskill Ed's idea for priming and trying it out, outside, as he recommended, is also a fun thing to go, if done safely. I'll bet it will fire right up, too! How about posting some photos of your Dad's old stove, please? We love that kind of stuff, and I'll be your Dad will be looking down and smiling with satisfaction that you're going to bring his old 00 back to life!!! WELL worth undertaking this task, Sir!!! Good luck, and please keep us posted!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. Paul S-D United Kingdom

Brilliant - thank you so much everyone - the 40-year challenge has been set - I will keep you posted on progress. Yours Paul S-D

7. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

@Paul S-D I just finished my 00 today and got it logged into the reference library. I can tell you from my experience that it was well worth the effort in the end. They are awesome stoves. Let the fettling begin !