Optimus 00 Unused

Discussion in 'Optimus No:00' started by richmay, Sep 4, 2016.

1. richmay

richmay SotM Winner Subscriber

A nice example of an Optimus 00, especialy the tin, the only thing I think missing is the windshield

Cheers

007.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

0010.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

2. teckguy_58

teckguy_58 United States Subscriber

@richmay

Hi,

I have a couple of these Optimus 00 stoves. One came in it's original tin and this tin is in new condition. The windshield is also missing. I guess some just don't know what it is for and so these windshields get misplaced or discarded.
    I did take quite a few pictures, but due to a computer crash I lost all of those pictures and have neglected to take more.

The 00 is a great stove.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
    Norman

3. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

A really nice example of an unfired Optimus 00.
    I also have an unfired one but it is in a plain red tin without the logo sticker or the gold tin edging.
    Could I ask you to post a photo of the bottom of the stove to show what is stamped there?

4. richmay

@teckguy_58

Hi, This is my first 00, i was thinking of buying a brass windshield from fleabay, it would go nicely with stove.
    Cheers
    Richard

5. richmay

@shagratork

Hi Trevor, a picture of the bottom of the stove, nothing special, just "Made in Sweden"

Cheers
    Richard

0013.jpg

6. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

Hi @richmay

The bottom stamping is exactly what I expected, but it adds to the database of evidence of what is stamped into the bases of Optimus stoves.
    Primus stoves can be dated from a stamped coding system but Optimus does not have that.
    However, Optimus changed their bottom tank stampings over the years and research is being carried out to enable members to approximately date their Optimus stoves based on what is stamped on the bottom of the tanks (along with other physical stove details).

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @richmay

Optimus did not date-code their stoves

However, if you examine the top of the burner of your Op. No.00 stove it is marked OPTIMUS - PRIMUS. This indicates manufacture after the formation of the Primus Trading Company

“When the Pre PTC Optimus, Primus and Radius parts ran out the production side marked their burners, flame rings and silent caps OPTIMUS PRIMUS. These parts could only be made between 1962 and 1969 although it is improbable that many of this marking were made in the early part of the period. They were definitely available in 1964 because I bought a burner on Skye in that year with that marking”

From this post by Bryan Miller:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/the-primus-trading-company-period-of-optimus-history.24548/

So the burner (and the stove if the burner is original to this stove) dates from the period 1962 to 1969.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. richmay

Thank you @kerophile, i am amazed by your in depth research and knowledge of classic camp stoves.
    As far as i know it is the orignal burner never used.
    Kind Regards