Optimus 00

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Colin Geer, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

I acquired this little gem in a recent swap and I'm very pleased.

I always wanted one of the small Optimus or Primus brassies and now I've got one! It had a faulty NRV and dribbled fuel whenever I tried to run it so I had to make myself a removal tool which I'll post about separately.

IMG_20190820_174112_7.jpg

IMG_20190820_174124_8.jpg

IMG_20190820_174147_8.jpg

I don't think the burner is original as it's unmarked and it seems to be worn as the vaporised fuel sprays over to one side. I've cleaned the jet but it still ends up burning out of one side. Still, it's a cute little stove.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Colin Geer ,

Congrats on getting your first 00!! They ARE great little stoves, and I know you will love having and using yours!! If you look around, on the bay of evil, you can very probably fine an OEM (original) Optimus 00 burner. I'm sure that would cure your problem, and hey, it's always fun to see "Optimus" on the burner plate, don't you think?!!!! But, in the meantime, just enjoy using it, and hearty congrats on scoring your neat little powerhouse!! The Optimus 00 was SB's and my very first kerosene stove, and once we got used to it, we've never looked back!! HUZZAH!!!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

It was a 00 that brought me here originally. A pair became the mainstay of our camping kitchen for quite a few years.

I always thought they had better 'lines' than the 210 for some reason.

4. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

My avatar, and the stove I use most after the Svea/Sigg. Have had it out in the woods countless times over the last 12 years.

We inaugurated it in the Spring of 2007 at Ipsut Creek on the Carbon River at Mt. Rainier:

[​IMG]

And that's where it all started! You will love your 00.
    Same trip:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  5. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

My favorite also! Welcome to the brotherhood. Secret handshake to come.:whistle::D/

6. Haggis

Cool find! Congrats...

I finally bid for an Optimus 00 on Evilbay last night,,, it should be here in a few days,,, supposedly never used and from a collection. The person had an Optimus 00 and Primus 210 up for auction at the same time,,, I chose the 00. Cost less then taking Herself out to wine and a nice restaurant once or twice, and it’ll last longer than a meal I reckon.

Primus 210 stoves have a connection Hillary’s climb of Everest, and the Optimus 00 was canoeist Bill Mason’s recommendation for a camp stove,,, I canoe camp, so the Bill Mason stove it was... To my untrained and uneducated eye there’s not a lot of size or functional differences between the two stoves any way...

7. Ed Winskill

There is indeed no size or functional difference between the 210 and the 00. The only difference is that the 00 has a distinctly 'rounded' appearance at what I would call the 'shoulder' of the fount, in contrast to the 210, and, indeed, to several other 1-pinters.

8. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

As others have said, I like the lines of the 00... kind of sexy in my opinion! Once I get a new jet and some prickers It'll be well away and I'll post some action shots.

9. Afterburner

00 is also my favorite. All different variants are interesting and it is just perfect for one/two trekker/camper.

10. Ed Winskill

Now, as I've often said here, my 'user' 00 is one of those that was rebadged as a Primus 210 when Optimus bought them (or however it worked). But, it is still an 00 and I ignore the purported rebranding.
    You can see that here as the as-yet unlit stove was photographed on that Ipsut Creek hike:[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  11. afoton

The threads of the connection between the riser and the tank is different. Primus used tappered threads from sometimes in the thirties to Optimus took over. So a riser from a 210 from that era ,will not fit a tank from a 00 and vica versa. My experience is that a riser from one 210 will not necessarily work well on a tank from another 210.

Myself prefer the self sealing threads of 210. But for a dual burner stove (switchable between roar and silent burner) where I need two risers for the same tank, I prefer 00.

12. dogface

dogface United States Subscriber

Just wait for her to get heated up, really hot, she will be hard to handle at that point.

I began the madness with the 00, and still like them the best.

13. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

Some flame shots after fitting the new jet...

IMG_20190823_180951_3.jpg
    IMG_20190823_181008_9.jpg
    IMG_20190823_181106_3.jpg

It's such a cute little stove!

14. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Hej Colin Geer!

What is the diameter of the jet hole? The flame is pretty blue but could be little larger (imo).

Ciso, Bastian

15. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Sternenlicht, Bastian in my book that is a 00 working to perfection.

The jet will be a standard 0.32, unlike the probably 0.52 on the Burmos I recently acquired. You could move the pricker from side to side. :)

16. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

@Simes
    In case I didn't have other jets I used the 0.23mm jets in my 00 or similar stoves. They showed the same (small) flame. Taking a larger jet or drilling it to 0.3mm made it a little larger but without getting yellow flame tips.

Ciao, Bastian

17. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

But the visible.flame size also depends on the surrounding light, maybe the real,size just can't be seen on this picture.
    Ciao, Bastian

18. Simes

Simes Subscriber

I suspect the images probably didn't really capture the full flame, photographing with possibly a phone or tablet isn't going to give the reality.

I'm still pleasantly surprised at the huge improvement a new nipple.gives, as I'm happy to live with slightly worn ones far longer than their use by date.

Crossed posts :)

19. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

The jet had to be changed. When I originally got it, the flame only came out of one quarter of the burner!

20. Sternenlicht

Sternenlicht Subscriber

Cleaning jet jet with a pricker or heating to red and quenching in water helps a lot.
    Changing the jet is needed when the bore diameter becomes too large, resulting in yellow flames.

Ciao, Bastian