Optimus 1, Newbie 1st question

Discussion in 'Optimus No:1(inc. S & J)' started by Andrew29, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Andrew29

Hi Members, I just came acrossed this stove. What do you know about this particular one? Any and all info is appreciated. Age (roughly)? Maintenance? Where to get parts online? Basically anything you know about them. If you need more pics or info, just ask. No problem.
    Thanks for your time. I'll be keeping it on my boat as backup to warm up a can of whatever I find in the bilge.

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

IMG_1198.JPG

2. igh371

igh371 SotM Winner Subscriber

@Andrew29 superb early Optimus No.1:thumbup:
    This version with the through-tube external NRV pump assembly only seems to appear in catalogues up to 1915, so that gives you an idea of date. These fixed leg versions are also far less frequently encountered than the 'Traveller' versions which came with fitted tins, cost more originally but usually had less actual use. Yours example here also looks to have the original burner, unlike mine (here) which has had a replacement unit fitted at some point. Most spare parts, luckily, are common to most No.1 type stoves of any age, although the method of changing the non-return valve pip/seal is slightly different. Service parts can be had through the Fettlebox with its link from this site. Great find :D

3. Andrew29

Thanks, I picked it up from a roadside antique shop which is actually just the house shed full of stuff for tourists to maybe stop by to buy something. I like stopping for just such items.

What's the function of the screw on the other side of the pump?

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

That is the NRV.

Nice find.
    Welcome to CCS.

5. Andrew29

Thanks for the welcome. Any tips on cleaning out the inside of the burner?

6. igh371

@Andrew29 re. that extra screw cap opposite the pump, yes that is the other end of the pump tube, it goes all of the way through the tank. That plain screw cap covers the NRV (non-return valve) assembly. This photo link shows what you should see if you unscrew that cap (here). To access the NRV spring and seal/pip holder you need to unscrew that slotted inner cap - be very careful not to damage it and pray that you do not find it already in the state of the one in the photo:shock:. Some patient soaking in Plusgas or power-steering pump fluid to help ease the threads might be in order!

7. Andrew29

I've noticed that it is soft and damagable. I've tried to turn it and have already put a small knick in it from a screwdriver, so I backed off from taking it apart before I found out more about it. I've f++ked enough stuff to have learned that one, believe me. I get some pressure build up when I pump, so is it really necessary to clean it?

8. Andrew29

Do these pics help the conversation?

IMG_1205.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

9. igh371

Personally, as long as you get pressure and fuel doesn't leak back out of the pump tube, I'd leave it alone. If it's not bust why fix it?

10. Andrew29

My thoughts too. There's no rush to break it which I'm usually good at when I get curious. I'm going to visit a dealer/parts guy tomorrow with other various stuff and will take the stove too so he can take a look at it. He's been dealing with pressure lamps, stoves, and kerosene stuff for years.

11. Matthew Tydd Australia

Hello Andrew29,
    My name is Matthew Tydd and I joined about a week ago. I have an optimus number 1 which I have been reliably informed is a couple of yrs older than yours but pre 1920. My legs have small feet and the Non Return Valve (NRV As I discovered about 2 mins ago) is internal. I honestly think it would be easier to service with the NRV set up the way yours is. I have ordered a repair Kit (Kit E from the fettlebox.co.uk) but that is valves and washers. I am also resisting temptation wrt the NRV. If you did obtain a new one where did you find it? I do not believed the fettle box has them. You also appear to have an original trivet (I can get a replacement I believe but not an original) IF (and do not do it on my behalf) you need to remove the screw in the NRV I would suggest a product called lanox in Australia. Think WD40 with lanoline. I have removed rusted on tow bars etc with it easily but being ham handed is no recommendation for fine work. I hope you did not need to. All the best and your cooker is a thing of beauty. Keep it that way. If not broken! Do not fix. If fixed I would like details please.
    Matthew

12. Matthew Tydd Australia

Andrew29,
    As usual I am wrong. NRV valve replacement kits are at the fettle box. I need to type correctly. If removing with a penetrating spray give it time and a significant amount.