Optimus 100

Discussion in 'Optimus No:100' started by coolerman, Oct 13, 2010.

1. coolerman

Hello everyone. Got referred here from the Coleman Collectors Forum.

I'm not an avid stove collector, but the bug is biting. ;) I love old technology that works. On this note, I was on vacation last week and saw this in an antique store for $30. (I did NOT buy it! Still there...)

From scanning through this forum it appears to be a Optimus 100 missing a few of parts, including the legs? Would this be a good first project?
    Would the missing parts be impossible to find? I don't want to build a shelf queen, I want a stove to actually USE... Thanks for any help.
    1286985327-IMG_3156W.jpg 1286985346-IMG_3155W.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. RonPH

Welcome coolerman. It looks like its got a lipstick burner you have there and its missing the flame spreader and yes, the legs. The legs may be available from our sponsors or from some of our members who will be giving you useful advise shortly. Nice acquisition :thumbup:

Ron

3. rafael1633

Hi Coolerman, wellcome!

For the administrator: maybe this post would have to be transfered to stove forum or fettling forum.

Well, sounds like you want to know if this stove is or is not a lost case. To me, the pictures show a stove in excelent conditions, just tarnished and dirty. With the techniques (like vineager or citric acid bath) you can find here in the forum, I think you'll be able to turn the stove back to almost original condition.

You're right, there are parts missing. The legs are easy: you can make your own and have them soft soldered to the tank. If you want to go the original way, you can make the bottom part of the legs with brass (or copper) tube and the upper part of the legs of iron rod (so the upper part can be took off to storage). Is even possible that there are original replacement parts available in places like www.base-camp.co.uk.

The flame spreader is also missing. Here, it's more dificult to make your own or have it made for you. But the good news is that this part is more likely to be found in spares retailers like basecamp. Also, you can buy a donor stove in Ebay: it doesn't have to be identical, it could be other stove with the same burnerhead (wich is pretty common).

You'll probably have also to change gaskets and seals, including the NRV seal. The NRV is the non-returning valve wich lies in the end of the pump tube and serves to let the pressure in and not letting it out. Replacing the NRV seal is easy as long as you have the right tool to remove it. The good news is that is easy to make a removal tool. Tha bad news is that in some worst cases, the NRV does not want do come out, so you'd have to unsolder the pump tube... Well, it's possible that the NRV is still working, so you don't have to mess with it (just put some pressure and then a bit of soapy water inside the tube to check it).

Also it's almost certain that the pump leather cup is missing or dead. But again is easy to make yourself a new pump cup, or have it ordered. Search here in the forum and you'll find out how it's done.

At last, you have to check if there is a brass gaze rolled inside the burner tube. It'll probably need some cleaning (again with citric acid) for it's possible to be clogged with kerosene residues. Don't mess with the tiny hole up in the burnertube, you'll don't want to enlarge it, because it would make the flame yellowish and sotty, rathar than blue and clean.

Like you see, you'll have to do a bunch of things, but neither is hard. Even in the worst cases, if you really unlucky, there are always solutions. Here you can find stories about cracked tanks beeing fixed... so this stove is not in such bad shape at all.

Hope this would help,

Rafael

4. itchy

It could be a good project if you already have a bucket of parts, but I think leaving that one on the shelf was the right thing to do. By the time you bought a flame spreader, legs and fashioned some leg holders(?, tubes, whatever), and then fixed the not so obvious stuff, you would have spent well more than than that $30. You should be able to find a complete stove to work on for that much. And, if you keep looking you'll see more like this for a lot less. Just an opinion, of course.

5. rafael1633

Ah, I didn't look for the value point of view... of course. It's not so difficult that you find great complete stoves for the same $30,00 or even just a few bucks even in Ebay.

And it seemed to me you want to get into the fixing (fettling) thing. For me, one of the best part is enjoying the labour restoring it, so you have to decide if this is also your case.

So you'll have to decide if $30,00 is already too much (cause it can cost you even another $30 if you have to order all the spare parts), and if the labour envolved is or is not enjoyable to you (because this will require some hours...).

Rafael

6. coolerman

Wasn't quite sure where to post my first post but figured the subject should match the area I put it. :lol:

I like tinkering with things so making the legs and such would not be that difficult. I was browsing the store mentioned and it appears there are some parts available for this model.

A term was mentioned I am not familiar with? Soft soldering? I am an electronics tech so know about the soft tin/lead solders and have soldered my share of copper water pipes. I also know about silver soldering used on high pressure pipes like air conditioning compressors. Which method to use on the fount to attach the legs?

I think I will call the place back and ask if they will ship the No 100 to me. It being my first find and all. (I was actually looking for old Coleman lanterns and stoves when I ran across the Optimus.)

Thanks for the welcome and the information!

7. rafael1633

In my opinion, coleman are great stoves, but the swedish ones... So to me you're in the right way.

Eletronic solder is a type of soft solder (I think, I'm not expert). I found that the solder used in stoves has more lead than common eletronics solder (like 50% tin, 50% lead). Is more common to use a separate flux (instead of the eletronics solder with flux inside). Also you have to have a torch (even those mini kitchen torches would do the job), so the soldering iron perhaps would not work.

Soft solder (tin/lead) is enough for soldered parts that are not exposed to heat, like legs, pump tube, cap assembly. Silver solder is more heat resistant, so is required when the solder will be near or directly exposed to the flame. In your case, silver soldering will not be necessary at all, because your type of burner head is composed of loose parts assembled together (not soldered, like on other types of burners).

Rafael

8. coolerman

I figured that if it worked for copper plumbing pipes under pressure, the same solder/flux would work for the leg tubes. :smile:

Coleman does make great stuff, especially the old lanterns and lamps. I posted this over in the Coleman forum: My middle name is Coman and yes my mother did in fact name me after all the Coleman camping equipment my dad owned at the time... Parents... :roll: :lol:

9. pshaw

Offer them $20.00

10. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

Coleman is a GREAT name... look at it this way; They could have named you after a lot of other less palatable brand names! "Beatrice" comes to mind...
    Sunbeam, Sears, Wards, Arlans, Aladdin... SEE? It could be a LOT worse! ;) ;) :lol:

OH, and what PSHAW said; Offer 'em twenty!!!
    Best and Welcome!
    Randy

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. coolerman

On the advice here I offered them $20 for the stove and the owner wouldn't budge. On top of that he would not ship it to me!

So... I trolled E-Bay for a few days and came across another 100 with the legs still attached but it was missing the pump assembly. Figured a pump was easier to obtain than fabricating legs and holders so I bid on it. I was the only bidder until 30 seconds left and someone tried to snipe it out from under me! I was ready though, and with just 6 seconds left, upped my bid and got it! Should be here in a couple of days. At that time I can figure out what all it will need. I'll post pics when I have it...