Optimus 11 (late 1930's)

Discussion in 'Optimus No:11' started by RSquared, Jun 18, 2017.

1. RSquared

Hi,

There are lots of stoves I keep meaning to post on here once I have fully refurbished but never seem to get round to fully refurbishing, so this one I am going to put out there without working on too much. Optimus 11 bought from a well know auction site, probably paid way too much but don’t get the time to visit car boot sales, antique/junk shops etc so have to bite the bullet.

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

I have lots of Optimus 111’s for use with Scouts but I wanted an 11 for my personal collection and thought this might be a “shelf queen” but all my stoves have to prove they work 1st in case I need them. However, this may be a regular user due to the generally good condition and robustness of the case. All I have done is rinse with clean fuel, dry pressure test for leaks and check filler cap washer – nothing needed immediate changing, the paint on the inside of the tin is pretty good but the outside has had some minor corrosion and been over painted with black paint and needs repainting.

Following are tests 1st on paraffin/kerosene:

IMG_1001.jpg

and the last flame shots are on Coleman fuel/Naptha:

IMG_1013.jpg

Stove easily lit 1st time using paraffin although windy day kept blowing out so moved to garage. On paraffin the flame is a little large and aggressive with orange tips; guessing the jet may have been slightly enlarged through lots of pricking or could be a dual fuel jet as I believe Optimus 11 is dual fuel. Running on Naptha the flame was perfect blue and just like an Optimus 8/123 etc on the same fuel and considerably smaller than with paraffin.

I am thinking late 1930’s for the stove based on the style of embossed case (but tank not bolted to front flap) and the bent fuel line. It has splayed pot stands, don’t know if these are original or from a different stove?

When I get the tin repainted and the stove cleaned up I will add those pictures. Reckon I may fit a wind shield and use a control knob from a 111 so I don’t lose this one (no hole for chain on 11 knob) and replace NRV pip.

Has anyone got any information on:

Is the jet likely to be dual fuel or just enlarged due lots of prickering?

Splayed out pot stands on Optimus 11 – original or from a different manufacturer?

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Mine has a nickel tank, no wrench and the pot supports are straight like a 111. My paint is better. Great running stove, I've only used paraffin. Glad you got one.
    Duane

3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

4. RSquared

Thanks Duane, Yep love the Nickel tanks but not too be in this case (I have several 8's with the Nickel tank). How do the 1st flame shot compare to yours on Kero?

5. RSquared

Thanks Jerry, How do the flame shots compare to yours on Coleman fuel?

6. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

My flame is about like yours, have not run it in about a year. Have two Campus stoves too.
    Duane

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @RSquared

Very nice No. 11! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm still on the lookout for one.

I think your kero flame is fine. The test I use is to boil some water in a clean pot. If the flame doesn't leave soot on the bottom of the pot it's fine.

I don't use gasoline in any of my 111s (except the 111B, which I only lit to see if it worked), because of the standard NRV in the pump.

Have fun with your stove.

Cheers

Tony

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Nice looking stove. Well done. I am sure you will like it.
    I use kerosene in mine.

9. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

Nothing at all wrong with your flame. My 11 is in the gallery as well if you want to compare. Cheers!

10. RSquared

Thanks guys