Optimus 111 Boxes

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Neal, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Neal

Neal United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello everyone

Please bear with me (I will get to the point eventually I promise!)

I'm very new to the world of classic stoves but very quickly I seem to have been 'infected' with the bug and have now subscribed to CCS!

So first, greetings to you all ☺

It started only a week or so ago when I discovered an Optimus Hiker Plus hidden away in a small boat I bought from someone and had tried to clean it up a bit to use it but sadly the burner turned out to be broken (actually came apart in my hands upon removal)

Anyway.... I've been reading a lot of the posts on CCS and decided that what I'd really like to do is get a 111t (I'd like the option to be able to burn petroleum based and alcohol based fuels) and do that up as a nice little project to use on my boat in place of the broken Hiker Plus that was there before.

Now. .. being a beginner I'm possibly. .. no almost certainly. .. gong to end up making stupid gullible decisions about what is and isn't a good buy because I'm fairly clueless about what to expect for my money and unaware of the pitfalls.
    It also seems 111t's are thin on the ground or at least thin on the web anyway. But I found ONE here...

111T Optimus Stove (T017) – Kite Lamp

....I'm assured its been tested and it fires up ok and I'm hoping that anything beyond that I can figure out how to deal with with help from the good folks here.

So... in a foolish moment of impulsive, reckless madness I bought it. I won't be in the least bit surprised or offended if you all tell me I've paid WAY too much for it given the fact that it looks pretty beaten up and was clearly a lot of money as you can see (or seemed a lot to me anyway) but now it's done in any case and money aside I'm quite excited about getting it and lavishing some TLC (Tender Loving Care) on it.

And finely... this brings me to the main point of my (lengthy, sorry everyone) post.

I have a broken Hiker Plus in a good case and will soon take delivery of a working 111t in a poor condition case.

Do you think I will be able to transfer the 111t components over to the Hiker Plus case or are the sizes/designs too different.
    It may also be sacrilege to even think of doing that from an ethical perspective.

If that isn't feasible (or ethically acceptable) how could I best go about renovating that (pretty bad) looking case?

Thanks in advance for any comments (positive or negative) about my daft decisions and hair brained ideas.

Neal

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. Afterburner

I think that box/case swap in not working too easily... Control shaft is on different side and if I remember correctly boxes were a bit different size (I am not 100% sure about size difference).

Your 111T looks to be a bit dirty (=soot) and some minor rust. I would just clean it and use it as it is. My 111T is about in same condition and works very well. If you want to re-condition your 111T box there are many posts about that in Fettling section.

3. Neal

Hi Afterburner. Thanks for your reply. Yes I'd completely missed the fact that the control shafts are on different sides. That does make it a bit of a non starter unless I cut a new hole in the Hiker Plus case which would spoil it having an unused hole on one side.

I've read some posts about cleaning up the boxes but is not clear what specific substances to use. Any advice there please anyone?

The electrolysis idea looks great but the guy I saw doing that had an old battery charger (before they started putting intelligent electronics into then). My modern one wouldn't be any good for that I don't think.

Neal

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

One option would be powder coating, which I've had done a couple of times on small items.

They'll clean.up the case before doing it and can be quick if you don't mind what colour it is.

Time and elbow grease if you have the patience.

5. itchy

@Neal

First of all I think what you paid was close to or only a little more (and/or less) than what we see these stoves go for today -- you will always see better deals once you've bought one, but that's just life.

Always hard to tell by a picture but to me that 111 stove case looks to be pretty solid. A good cleaning may be all it would take to give you a good working stove that you should be happy with. Certainly it would be less work to fix it up, if needed, than converting the other case. In addition to the left to right handed difference, the magnet bracket in the base of the Hiker+ would have to be removed and, while probably doable, it would likely create a mess.

Finally, if you want to post some pictures of your broken Hiker+ a few folks here may have some suggestions. Plus, some members and former members are true wizards at repairs.

6. Neal

Thanks very much guys for your ideas, and thanks for your encouraging comments itchy about the price I've paid for it.

Although I'll need to wait until the stove has arrived to be certain, I agree with you all that it will be better to concentrate on cleaning up 111t's own case and just getting that lookng as good as I can.
    I've sourced an old-style battery charger on ebay for £5 which I might have a go at electrolyting the crud off with if I get sufficiently organised. I read some excellent articles here on CCS about how to do it. For a fiver it seemed worth a go.

Itchy. .. the problem with Hiker Plus was that it has been very badly looked after and when I took the burner out to try to clean it up a bit it literally came apart in my hands. Looks like it (just the burner) may have been left lying in water at some time in the past (goodness knows why) because it is rusted through.
    The rest of the stove looks as though it should be ok with a good cleanup so ill probably just order a new burner from Base Camp and fit that so that I have a decent working stove for my boat in the short term while I take my time enjoying renovating the 111t as my eventual stove.
    Then I can probably sell the Hiker Plus to recoupe a bit of money spent on the 111t.

Sounds like a plan. ..lol.

Thanks again for all your comments. I appreciate it ☺

Neal

7. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi, I think that you should concentrate on how the 111t work and not thinking that it will arrive and work well even if it is possible. By doing your homework now by open it and make sure it is alright, if something happens on one of your trip you will have know what to bring with you and what to do with your super stove if it decided to play a game. Right now, by the picture, 3 things seem to be missing to call it a complete multi stove.
    1- k .........
    2- R ..........
    3- N ............
    Lolo, who am I ?

For the old charger, make sure you have the 2 amperes options.
    Have fun !!!!!

8. Neal

Hi

Thanks for your reply. All good advice and appreciated.

I won't be taking the 111t on any trips until I've finished restoring it. I'll use my Hiker Plus in the meantime.

I can't see anything really obvious missing from the picture but if you've seen something I haven't please let me know what it is and I'll take a closer look.
    Probably there's not much I, or anyone else, can be certain of until I actually see the real thing. It has been test fired so even if it does not burn perfectly (only time will tell) it does burn reasonably ok so there can't be too much missing.

It has only the 1 jet that's installed so I'd like to get other jet(s) for different fuels but that can come later.

I'm thinking of this as a restoration project not a stove to use immediately. I'd like to try to get it really nicely setup eventually but there's no rush. The Hiker Plus will serve me in the meantime once I get a new burner for that from Base Camp.

Thanks for your advice about the 2 amp battery charger. Hopefully it will have that as it's a trickle charger only. But if it doesn't it's a relatively simple matter to reduce or increase the current with some homemade addons.

Really looking forward to getting started now!

Neal

9. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Nice
    What I mean by complete is to have all necessary tools to make it multi fuel.
    I don't have a 111T yet but I will have one for sure, it is why I did read a lot on the stove and one of the interesting thing that I have found is about the air restrictor (2). it look like that for the same model of stove, one will need more air to make it run good on alcohol than another with the same nipple (3). Later on when you will be there I will show you the link where you can make different air restrictor for your nice stove so you can find out which one is the best for you.
    The number 1 of my little game is the key to remove the nipple and adjust the spindle nut. Now because the stove has a silence burner you will probably prefer used the key to do it by the top to remove the nipple, it is so much more easier.
    Here a link where you can make yourself more comfortable on the alcohol side of your stove.
    Have a good day
    Optimus 111 T with meth air-restricter and manual

10. Neal

YES THIS !!

This is ABSOLUTELY what I want to end up with. I chose the 111t because it has such a great range of fuels if you have all the right extra parts.

I am 100% with you on the importance of getting to that stage JP2.

Thanks a lot for the link. That looks really helpful.

I'd love to get the 111t to be as 'multi fuel' as I can by adding the extra jets and restricter when/if I can do that.

First I need to clean it up and get it working properly with its 'basic' fuels.
    And even before that I need to get it here.
    Had contact from the delivery people today that it has entered the UK now so hopefully only a few days to go.

Yay !!

Neal

11. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@Doc Mark, another patient for you I think.

Too far gone to be treatable? what do you think? :)

12. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

You will be assimilated! Resistance is futile.
    Welcome Neal!

13. Neal

Lol! Thanks for the welcome Ivan ☺

Hooray!! My 111t has arrived.

The case really is a MESS :(

But the burner and tank look quite reasonable to my unskilled eye. Either that or ignorance is bliss....

As so many of you have been kind enough to take an interest with help and suggestions I thought I'd post up some better pics of it for anyone who might be curious but I really should start a new thread for that to play fair to the forum rules.
    Bear with me. ..

Neal

14. Neal

I've posted up some pictures of it here if anyone is curious ot see whatI'm getting so worked up about :)