Optimus 111 Cleaning Needle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by HWW, Feb 10, 2019.

1. HWW

HWW United Kingdom Subscriber

How did you set the timing of the cleaning needle, I’m having all kinds of issuses with the burner leaking. I watched a few vids & understand the 3-5 clicks & all that but i can get it to click! Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@HWW
    Welcome to CCS.

If I understand your query.

Hold the cleaning needle with the pricker stuck in a pencil eraser.
    Place the cleaning needle on the gear/spindle, cleaning needle teeth left, with the jet removed, and the valve is fully closed.

The weight of the pencil and the cleaning needle, with the spindle now turning CCW, anti-clockwise. Each time the gear tooth 'clicks' the cleaning needle you should feel it.
    That is the 'click' that is meant.

After the number of clicks is achieved you turn the spindle CW all the way, the cleaning needle should drop down into the vaporizer, pull off the eraser, replace the jet and check the setting.
    Try 3, then 4, then 5.

You want the valve to shut off when CW all the way and the needle to poke through the jet when CCW all the way.

I hope that helps.

Ken in NC

3. HWW

I’ve seen that on vids but as the burner cup is fixed on a 111 (not B D or T) you can’t get any purchase on the needle rack to get the clicks?

4. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi and welcome
    The Optimus 111 will work without a cleaning needle and because it has others issues, I think it is a good idea to fix them first then finalize with the cleaning needle.
    What are your others issues?
    N/B- Pictures are always welcome

Welcome again

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Then I would watch it jump and count the jumps as clicks.

6. HWW

Brilliant...I sort of thought that after watching a video on YouTube where the chap used a cotton bud, but I wasn’t sure as I a Bernidawg vid there is an audible click. I’ll get everything cleaned up & try again. Thank you for your help.

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

You are welcome. BD is good at this fettling stuff. I am hard of hearing, so the click to me is not there.
    The jump may be subtle, so watch carefully as you turn the spindle slowly.

Oh, by the way ...
    We love photos of stoves here.

Ken in NC

8. Lennart F Norway

It seems that you may have the roarer 111 - and that burner has a slightly different needle instruction.
    This instruction seems to be the easiest to read - remember to start from closed when counting clicks.

9. HWW

Thanks for this very useful information. I will give it ago this week & report back.

10. blzeebub

Hi guys.

Firstly, thanks for all the advice already posted, it's been very helpful to read.

Secondly, I've been trying to get an Optimus 111 (paraffin/kerosene) working, and bought a new cleaning needle and graphite packing. The old cleaning needle had lost the actual needle that pokes through the jet hole, and I replaced the packing as a precaution.

Unfortunately the new cleaning needle doesn't poke through the jet hole when I set it to 4 clicks, which various sources of advice seem to suggest is about the average.

I'm reluctant to try different numbers of clicks, mainly because the jet is a nightmare to get off; with it being the paraffin/kero model, it has four burner tubes, and trying to unscrew the jet is very difficult. The tool supplied with the stove is a bit useless as it's a tiny bit too big for the jet, which exacerbates the problem.

I wondered if I'd maybe snapped a few millimetres off the new needle when I first installed it, but since I didn't measure it in the first place, I'm not sure. I tested the stove without the cleaning needle, and it worked a treat, but I really want the cleaning needle installed. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Doug

11. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @blzeebub

Something is wrong here, and patience and care is the way to fix it.

You will have to check that you haven’t bent or broke the needle. Then measure it to check if it’s short. The re-set it starting from scratch.

If the needle is bent or broken, it might be too big for the jet, so check before re-setting.

Cheers

Tony

12. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Doug , I doubt the picker has been broken. It is possible that the picker isn't long enough to go through the jet. Or the picker didn't aline with the jet and has bent over.
    Either way you will have to remove the nipple and cleaning rack to check it's condition.

Crossed with Tony's reply.

13. blzeebub

Hi Rob and Tony

Thanks for your replies.

I took out the cleaning needle and jet, held each in a different hand and inserted the needle into the underside of the jet to emulate what it would do in the stove.

When the needle is as far into the jet hole as the broader toothed section will allow, I can just see the needle in the hole, but it doesn’t protrude beyond the hole the way it should which means resetting it won’t make any difference.

I can’t see any evidence of a snapped-off bit in my work area but then again it would be hard to spot. I’ll ring the supplier later to find out what length the needle should be so I can measure it, but hoping I can avoid buying another.

Thanks again, and I’ll update with any progress I make!

Regards
    Doug

14. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    If you don’t get a response beforehand, I’ll measure one of mine tomorrow morning (while it’s not dark and below 0°C).

Cheers

Tony

15. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

16. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber SotM Winner

The needles are typically crimped into a prepared hole in the rack. I have had assemblies where the needle was slack and had been pushed into too deep a hole. I gently pulled the needle back and very carefully crimped the carrier to tightly grip the cleaning wire. But not for the faint hearted.....

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

17. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Hi, where is the original broken needle?
    INSIDE. ????????

18. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

We suspect short, not broken.

19. Garth

Early 111 and 22 have one more tooth on the rack maybe a shorter ones been fitted

20. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

On a new one that I have, the needle is 2 mm long
    IMG_20190617_182821.jpg