1. burny pyromaniac Netherlands

Hi folks,

This week I received my newest acquisition: green Optimus 111 roarer with a white cookie cutter-type knob.
    It came from France and the package included a spirit can, a reserve pump leather (which is bone-dry) and: the original wiper cloth, and the user manual.
    See for yourselves
    IMG_0508.JPG IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG

The burner is marked Optimus Sweden
    The undertray is corroded, mainly on the outside/underside, but otherwise is in a a remarkable condition for a stove that dates from the mid fifties (as far as I can judge).
    Not a bad buy for EUR 50, I suppose.
    The pump leather within the pump does't do a thing, so replacement is in order. I will have a good look at is to see what else is needed to bring this beauty back to a roaring live.
    At this moment I would like to preserve the case as it is at the moment. It would be a pity to get rid of the patina. It is, no denying, more than 60 years old, why not show it?
    It will join the other two 111's (one a silent 111t from the late eighties or the early nineties, plain case, the other an earlier 111t from the eighties with a plain case and a leaking burner. I switched its burner with an older roarer. They both accompany me while camping).
    Maybe this oldie will accompany me next summer while camping in France.

Greetings, Tonio

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Excellent! That is a great example. :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

3. Simes

Simes Subscriber

As it's a 111B I'd certainly check the SRV is ok.

Although the old leather is hard it may soften up in some oil sufficiently to try a dunk test to check for leaks.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Simes

Who said it was an Op.111b?

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

5. burny pyromaniac Netherlands

Hi @Simes,
    It is not a b, it has four burnertubes and the smell from the tank is definitely paraffin. I do use that fuel in my other 111’s too.
    Greetings, Tonio

6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

@kerophile, @burny pyromaniac.

I had assumed the configuration of the burner as shown with the hole down through would suggest it's a B. There's not an image without the windshield.

I have to admit my phone browser does occasionally mess up image rendering in posts so apologies if I'm not seeing all the info.

7. kerophile

Hi @Simes the Op.111 kero burner also use a tube for feeding the priming alcohol to the spirt-cup.

Optimus 111 from 1950s

One of the “feed “ tubes is sacrificed but the remaining fuel feed tube is well able to supply the two tubes which carry fuel vapour down to the jet.

Comparing @burny pyromaniac Op. 111 with my 1950s version linked above shows that his stove is earlier than my example.

1. The carry handle on his stove has a more pronounced rectangular profile than the rounded corners on my stove. This is typical of the first Op.111 stoves.

2. His stove has both the top-feed hole in the burner for alcohol priming, and a scoop-style feed on the side of the windshield. The scoop-style feed was the earliest form of alcohol feed on Op.111, dating from the early 1950s. This could be a transition stove to the burner top-feed piming model.

3. Your stove appears to have no slot in the lower case to locate the closing clip attached to the upper case. This is also an early feature of Op.111 stoves.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 11:35 AM
  8. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Ok, I'll write out 50 times 'I must use my 111 more often'.

I'll certainly not be winning any spot the burner comps anytime soon. :(

9. trebor

It is an early model, but not the first. The hinges is a tell tell sign. Latest edition Optimus 11 case was used as the first Otimus 111.

Look at the hinges picture 3

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM
  10. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I love that combination of green tin and white control knob, i used to have one as seen here

11. Retro Camper

Retro Camper Subscriber

I wish i'd kept it.

12. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

I've got three of them "eleventy one's", but neither have the:
    May be the first version 111's?

Optimus 111_06.jpg

By the way @burny pyromaniac , what is this?
    Untitled - 1.jpg
    Is that the leather cup?
    Edit: Congratulations @burny pyromaniac , you'got one of the best an practical camping stoves... Sorry, from my point of view pals!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019 at 5:42 PM
  13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

You can soak the leather pump cup in oil to make it usable, if/when you need it.
    Nice find.

14. kerophile

Hi @shueilung.2008 . The earliest Op.111s roarer burners had “conventional” burners and priming was achieved by means of a scoop-type hole on the windshield.

Later models of Op.111 roarers used one of the 4 burner tubes as a “feed” to direct alcohol into the spirit cup and a normal windshield could be used.

The photo of your Op.111 is indeed of an early model as shown by the hinge type used. In addition it looks like there is a scoop-type hole in the windshield to allow priming.

Putting a date to Optimus 111

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

15. burny pyromaniac Netherlands

@shueilung.2008 ,
    It is the pump leather cup indeed, I will see whether it will revive with some oil.
    Thank you for your reactions, all!
    It was indeed a good find.
    @kerophile : thank you for this info, I already thought it was quite early, but you show that it is even an earlier version than I thought.
    What ‘s your opinion about the undertray? Shoukd I try to preserve it or should I repaint it?
    Greetings, Tonio

16. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

@kerophile

I've never saw the later models of 111's down here at Uruguay, may be too little "mercado"?

Typical Uruguayan from the 50's would rather make camp fire than use liquid fueled stoves...

Too small market for camping stoves, but great one for domestic stoves and ranges

My best regards to you, @kerophile

Enrique

17. kerophile

Hi @burny pyromaniac . I am sure that you should treat the rusty areas of your stove to totally remove all rust and passivate the steel surface. You can then paint the prepared surface and go on to enjoy another 70 or so years of stove use.
    I find that Phosphoric acid is an excellent rust remover/ passivator. See section No.4 of this thread:

Stove restoration. Parts 1 to 4

Hi @shueilung.2008 you seem to have some nice early Op.111 stoves

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

18. burny pyromaniac Netherlands

Wow, @kerophile
    That’s a lot of info, thanks! Time to study, I suppose. After that I will try to convince my two left hands that showing some dexterity is at order. (Maybe it helps a bit that I am left handed lol).
    Greetings, Tonio

19. kerophile

There are many examples of full and partial restorations on CCS. Here is a link to a partial one:

Optimus 111B (1961,1962)

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

20. threedots New Zealand

Hello @burny pyromaniac . That leather piece is the remains of a used leather pump cup.
    Cheers, John