Optimus 111

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Sparky, Apr 30, 2010.

1. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

How rare is the Optimus 111 stove? They are certainly harder to find than the 8R but I don't know if they are legitimately worth 1/3rd more money on eBay. I would like to get one, clean it up and make a working stove out of it so I don't want a museum piece.

2. Kingreddobermann

Kingreddobermann Subscriber

Be careful, Sparky. They are addictive.

3. RonPH

Hi Sparky, the 111 comes in many flavors to describe so you will have to do a search on the forums or the gallery to see the types. Basically its bigger than the 8R, more heat output, and the T-model (with the correct jets) can burn kerosene, coleman gas, gasoline, alcohol and similar derivatives as some countries have different terminology on fuel. You still find them on Ebay from really used to new and the current pricing is still high. If you get lucky with one thats been used and serviceable or say you would want really to work on cleaning it up a bit, am sure you can find one out there.

IMHO, the 111T is my cup of tea and love it. I run it on kerosene. Am trying (unfortunately failing) to limit my stoves that run on kerosene reason being its portability and availability of fuel in other countries. Then again, it still can burn coleman fuel and alcohol (main 3 fuels).

And as Tony said, its addictive....

Ron :mrgreen:

4. Henry

Common as muck in my shed ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. itchy

For many purposes, easily. (For what an opinion is worth.)

6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Sparky, double the heat output for only one-third more....and it can use kerosene! Sounds like a real bargain ot me.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. Henry

The standard Kerosene roarer burner model is my stove of choice for most occasions.
    Bullet proof, never lets you down, easy to fettle.

Most of the time it's just a new filler cap gasket and a pump cup that's needed.
    I have several that I picked up that have been around the block, do the above and they're as good as new.
    I've fettled several up to 'shop bought' standard but they don't work any better than the tatty ones.

They come up on eBay UK a lot but they are starting to fetch silly money these days, normally 30 to 40 quid and upwards :frown:

Be careful though, as Tony said, they're addictive.

8. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

All, thank your for your opinions. Although the 8R has a certain "cuteness", it is a bit slow. the 111 has a similar appeal with the added benefit of some additional BTU's. Uh Huh...I can quit buying stoves anytime I want....... 8-[

9. Knight84

It really depends on your needs.

The 8r is lighter and better suited to one or two people. Where the 111 can handle larger pots and therefore cook for more people.

The 111T would be my choice. Silent fast and cool looking!

Cheers,
    Jeff

10. dsk

The 111 has been the military stove in Norway since the 50'ies. The Norwegian made Fuhrmeister no 8 was used in a shorter periode in the early 50'ies.

In 1996 the Norwegian forces started the development of a new stove in a project "soldier 2000" together with some "skilled" research institutions, the project was klosed down in about 2002 with no better stove. they still use the 111's.

The value of an 111 as a sales object varies from NOK 300 for an old used stove to Nearly 1900 for the hiker + brand new.

dsk

11. ajvuik

ajvuik Subscriber

Hey all,

Ah, yes the infamous Optimus 111. If there is one praised 'new classic' stove I guess it's the Optimus 111 in any variation. As Henry said, the old ones are indeed bullet proof but I also like the B's and upwards, although the B's need special attention since they are advertised as a Petrol/Gas/Coleman stove they are essentially paraffin tech. So a dodgy NRV is a disaster waiting to happen.

But other then that I like them.

ps. I have 4 of them, but I keep the separated because I think that when you keep them together they multiply!!! 8-[ :o :o 8)

12. rik_uk3

Standard 111 kerosene is as Henry said a great stove, that and the humble No5 are my two top stoves :)

13. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

OK, help me with the jargon: NRV? ____Regulator Valve? Just a guess.

14. Knight84

NRV : non return valve. There is one in the bottom of the pump tube/shaft. Allows air into the tank but not out. But can and will fail and with gas/white gas/Coleman fuel that can be dangerous.

Check out this Post for a picture of a NRV

Cheers,
    Jeff

15. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Thanks, that was my next guess... :whistle: I would also call it a check valve. So if one buys an old stove, even with little use, should this valve be checked before use?

16. Knight84

Yes it should be checked. 9 times out of 10 it will need a new rubber seal.
    It is a check valve but it relies on the rubber being soft and the spring being good.

Compared to what most Coleman stoves/lanterns use it is primitive but works well with kerosene.

Cheers,
    Jeff

17. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

Thanks again, if I win the overpriced stove on ebay, I will take it apart and check it out. No pun intended.

18. Knight84

What 111 are you looking for?

Good deals come up on ebay.com from time to time.

Jeff

19. RonPH

Well if your gonna take it apart perhaps a good used one comes up cheap on ebay occasionally. They are good work horses :thumbup:

Ron

20. Sparky

Sparky Subscriber

I am working on a 111 with silent burner on eBay right now. The auction ends tomorrow so we will see if it is a bargain or not. Ever since I re-habbed my 8R I am reluctant to fire it up but I hope to actually use this in camp.