Optimus 111B again

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by MarkG, May 26, 2020.

1. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

I can't seem to be able to undo the safety valve on the fuel filler cap to change the pip, none of my allen keys fit even with tape wrapped around them and neither will a torx t20, i put around 25 to 30 full pumps into the tank and dunk tested with no leaks anywhere but is it safe to light in this condition?
    Thanks.

2. CW

CW United States Subscriber

try heating the cap a bit with a torch or socking in a solvent, they use a form of locktight on the screw.

3. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

You’ll need a special key for that - I got mine from The Fettlebox.
    They come as square or penta shape. For the latter a tool like this is helpfull
    Optimus Fuel Cap SRV Tool wrench Pentagon / Five angle | eBay

Beware that the little brass nut rounds VERY easily and can be quite stuck —> let it soak in some penetrating oil for a day or two and then supply with a bit of heat from a pen torch like @CW suggests
    You can take a small match or rounded metal rod (a thin bicycle rod) and gently try to poke that little pip from the inside. If it moves freely and resettles fine and still is tight - I would use it.

4. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Thank you both, i will have to see about buying the tool, the T 20 was used by BernieDawg on youtube but it seems to big to fit mine,

I'll try that, i was hoping to fire it up later to test it,

Thanks.

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

IMHO it is safe to use as is.

If I recall, you have to tap the T20 into hole.

6. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Plenty of resistance to the spring and it seems to reseat properly :thumbup:

Thanks Majicwrench, you are quite possibly correct although he didn't say anything about it, i'm not keen on that though in case i do more damage than needed.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @MarkG ,

With no insult to BernieDawg, I would never use a torx wrench to remove the SRV. Get the proper "penta-wrench" and make sure to soak the SRV in a good solvent, and then heat it up, before using the "penta-wrench" to open up the SRV. I tried it another way, and broke my SRV screw into several bits!! YIKES!! Finding a proper wrench might take you a bit of time, but believe me, it's worth your efforts!! Good luck, and God Bless!

Doc

8. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

I soak mine in denatured alcohol overnight to loosen the sealants grip on the threads. I have damaged poorly made penta tools. Gonna get a good one eventually.

9. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Thanks @Doc Mark

I have spoken to Ross at the Fettlebox, he is going to check to see if he has anything left that isn't listed and will be looking into getting some more made once the lock down is over,
    I've got plenty of Acetone to soak it in but i thought it wasn't a good idea to heat something with a spring in it as the springs are meant to lose tension?

@Cookie

I've got a few litres of Isopropyl alcohol will that do the trick?

10. Cookie

Cookie United States Subscriber

@MarkG I have used isopropyl alcohol with great success also. I normally drop the cap into a shot glass, cover with alcohol, place plastic wrap over the top of the glass, and secure with a rubber band. I let it soak for 12-24hrs.

11. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Thanks @Cookie i will give that a try in future then.

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@MarkG ,

You wrote, "....I've got plenty of Acetone to soak it in but i thought it wasn't a good idea to heat something with a spring in it as the springs are meant to lose tension?" Mark, you're not heating it up that much. All you need to do, after your soaking, is the play the torch back and forth at the top of the SRV screw a few times, and then use the proper tool to remove it. Works a treat! I've never had any spring damage from doing it that way, but I've surely broken that SRV screw by NOT using that method. I learned the hard way, and have been using the soak/heat method since my failures! :doh::oops:](*,):whistle: Good luck, and God Bless!

Doc

13. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

@Doc Mark

Ah i see, thanks for that, all i need are the tools now, i could go for Simon Chantwicks version although its not showing on ebay UK only the US version but i expect i will get stung by customs, i think it was around £12 last time on something not very expensive

14. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber