Optimus 111B graphite packing

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by MarkG, May 25, 2020.

1. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Hi all. i've been fettling my 111B and although it past the dunk test, on lighting there is a flame around the gland nut and the stove is spluttering and not running well so first i need to replace the graphite packing, i did try loosening and retightening the gland nut but that didn't work, i have only got graphite sheet so do i have to remove the nipple, cleaning needle, spindle and old graphite packing or can i get away with just adding some new graphite onto the original?
    Also i don't have the original Optimus spanner if i do need to remove the nipple,
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

You can loosen the gland nut to add packing, no need to disassemble everything. May be a little bit of a bugger to get the new stuff to wrap around. See if you can clean off the spindle before adding packing.
    Duane

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Base Camp offers Op.111 tool for jet and packing gland.

2572 Spanner for jet & stuffing box stoves 5R, 8R, 99, 111, £ 4.65

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. kerophile

Hi, Regarding the spluttering of you Op.111b stove:

5. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

@hikerduane

Ok thanks, i'll give it a go then, worth a try,

@kerophile

I've just ordered one from ebay but thanks anyway,
    I can't seem to get anything up from the regarding spluttering.
    Found it, thanks.

6. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

The outside of the burner was quite dirty compared to others that i've come across so the internals may also need a clean, i may need to get the correct sized nipple then if mine is wrong or enlarged.

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Mark!

Welcome to CCS! Regarding your 111B, have you removed the mesh strainer from the burner fuel tube, and cleaned it? That may be part of your problem, if you have not done some. Another thing to consider: did you rinse out the fuel tank, and if so, what did you use to do that? If it was water, or another liquid besides Coleman fuel, you may be experiencing some residual liquid mixed with your fuel. I'm confident that you will eventually suss it all out, and your 111B will be running like a champ, soon! Again, welcome to our Merry Band of Pyro Stovies, and keep us posted as to how things go in your fettling! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

8. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Thanks Doc,

As yet no i've not, i only realised there was one after watching a youtube video earlier today, yes i've flushed the tank but i used Paraffin to flush and fuel it, i haven't tried Coleman fuel,
    Yes i'm sure i will, i was just hoping for the easy fix, either way it needs sorting,

Appreciate the extra advice,

Thanks.

9. kerophile

Hi @MarkG The Op.111b is a gasoline/petrol/Coleman fuelled stove design! There is insufficient vaporising capability to sustain operation on Kerosene. No wonder you get a spluttering flame!

Optimus 111 petrol (the burner of mystery)

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. kerophile

11. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Haha that'll be why then, strange that the other one i had ran perfectly on it though and that they also have a spirit cup although i do have a Vakus stove which is apparently petrol powered which also has a spirit cup.

I must have had the 111 previously then, thanks for the heads up, shame though as i do most of my lighting/testing in doors except the gas powered stuff which i do in the courtyard, still the weather has been fine lately.

12. kerophile

Hi, petrol pressure stoves still require a spirit cup and priming to help the fuel vaporise for initial starting. Once underway they are often self pressurising due to the thermal feedback built into the design.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

13. MarkG

MarkG Subscriber

Thanks for that,
    I've got plenty of Naptha based panel wipe so i'll have a go at adding some graphite packing, flush the Paraffin and try again soon,
    I also had trouble getting a pump leather to fit properly the one from the Fettlebox was too small even when opened out, the one from Juliands was too large which is the same size/shape as a new old stock original that i've had soaking in neatsfoot oil for quite some time and was still hard, in the end i had to trim down the nos original, not ideal but it works to a fashion.