Optimus 111B-should I bite?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Blueflame, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Blueflame

Blueflame Canada Subscriber

I saw a used Optimus 111B at a thrift shop.It is priced at $99.CDN ($75.USD). Needs some cleaning up but I wonder if there is some item to look for that may be usually missing in an old stove. From what I can see most is there, even the key for disassembly. Embossed model number, blue tin.

2. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Only you can answer that.

I personally would pass. That may or may not be a fantastic deal on a 111B in that condition, but I'm saving my pennies at the moment and unless it was for a specific aspirational stove that I'd had my eye on for a long time, $75 is well beyond my "casual purchase" limit. Obviously you'll be in a different position than me, maybe that's a stove you've been looking for for a long time, maybe $75 is casual spending money for you, or both. Buy it, enjoy it.

Along those lines, if anyone has a number 12 diesel cooker for sale for $75, please PM me. :mrgreen:

3. BradB

BradB United States Subscriber

Much cheaper than ebay.

4. SimonFoxxx

SimonFoxxx Subscriber

Ask to see it working, maybe. If that is possible. Stand back, in case something happens :content:.

Cheers
    Simon Foxxx

5. itchy

Tool, flame ring, control knob, and one or more of the pot stands, are the parts most likely to be missing. I'd remove the pump rod/leather and inspect it. Turn control knob ccw to make sure needle pokes up. Pump it up to see if it holds pressure and the NRV is good (and if not? make a lower offer?).
    Seems like a fair price if the stove is in decent shape. But only if you want a white-gas stove rather than the more versatile 111 (personal opinion).
    The embossed case is a plus in my book and I don't mind the extra caution necessary for white gas.

6. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, @Blueflame ,

Can you take a few photos of it, and post them here? It would be good to see what you are considering.

Regarding the price, for a solid 111B, the days of finding them for $20, or less, at the swap meet, seem to be mostly over. And I have used 111B’s, and 22B’s for decades, with out a single problem. Maintain them properly, and regularly, and you will have a safe, reliable, powerful, and nicely simmering stove!!

Having said all that, I would consider $75 US to be a fairly good deal. But, that’s just me. I’ve paid more, and I’ve most certainly paid FAR less. If you want a 111B, and it’s complete, and solid, I’d say, go for it. Post photos if you can, and otherwise, best of luck, and have fun!! God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

7. Timothy Epp

You can always clean it up and resell on eBay if you decide you don't want it.

8. Odd

And the 'B uses its internal fuel for priming if you so decide. No unconditional need for priming alcohol (as it is with the kerosene versions)… If you've got the money and it's complete - go for it.

9. anlrolfe

anlrolfe Subscriber

Safety NRV is the week link. Change the valve pip with a high quality rubber and you'll get years of use. Always watch the pump rod for telltale signs of leakage. Once you've got the major workings, you could always keep an eye open for a kerosene roarer or silent burner.