Optimus 182

Discussion in 'Optimus No:182' started by Funfundfunfzig, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Funfundfunfzig

This body of this stove is painted in a pale green hammered finish with nickel plated tanks and trivets. The replacement Hipolito regulated burners and control knobs are not original but work perfectly well.

The two separate tanks each have a fuel level indicator consisting of a cork on the end of a pivoting arm with sight glass for viewing the position of the "needle".

The fuel caps have a central SRV built-in and lugs to assist in tightening and removal.

The tanks have the ornate Optimus script and globe symbol.

Priming tubes run from each front corner of the frame to the burner cups allowing for easy priming.

The combination of regulated burners, priming tubes, fuel level indicators and ergonomic caps suggest this was a stove designed for ease of use! IMG_1828.JPG IMG_1831.JPG IMG_1835.JPG

2. Afterburner

Nice stove. :thumbup: Those feed tubes for spirit cups is very nice feature on those type Optimus stoves.

3. threedots New Zealand

They are a very good stove and being a double tank one makes it more dependable than any single tank 2 burner stove.
    The colour of your stove is similar if not the same paint as was used on the kerosene Optimus Nr:22 and Nr:111 from the 1950's.
    Cheers, John

4. Funfundfunfzig

@threedots
    I'm not sure of the age but it had a 1976 newspaper in the bottom of the tatty old cardboard box that it came in so it's at least 40!

I think the green paint is what is referred to as a "Jappanned" finish. I'm still cleaning it up but suspect it will be very "useable"!
    Steve

5. Funfundfunfzig

Some "work in progress" pictures on the 182 clean up. The nickel plated tanks shine up very nicely and the detail of the Optimus script is bright and clear! The side-by-side images give an indication of the "before" and "after" condition.

Burners were given an ultrasonic bath in detergent and citic acid solution. They still looked a bit patchy which would not polish out.

Flushed the tank and fitted a new NRV pip and lead washer. Yet again the "red hot jet spanner on the valve" technique saw the NRV break free very easily. A new pump cup was fitted and half a tank of fuel added.

The first firing was flawless!

Nice flame range and no leaks from anywhere including the gauge and filler cap that had received a new viton SRV pip and cap washer (punched from 2mm sheet).

I think those fuel level indicators will be very handy!

Steve
    IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1866.JPG IMG_1867.JPG IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869.JPG IMG_1871.JPG

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  7. Funfundfunfzig

Thanks Tony
    I'm very impressed with the Hipolito burners! Excellent control and a very high full heat. The 182 tank set up allows for a good pressurisation. I'm hoping that new SRV pip is working as it's supposed to but when fitted in the stove I don't think thermal feedback will be a problem.