optimus 199 kerosene in cap

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by peter burchell, Mar 31, 2020.

1. peter burchell Canada

I went to lite the stove the other day and after the alcohol was burned off I could see the kerosene actually pooling in the burner and the flame was orange with no blue at all I let it burn for a while but no difference . I pumped it maybe 7 times sorry complete novice here

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, @peter burchell , Peter,

Have you checked your cleaning needle, to make sure it's set properly. I usually set my 4-5 clicks down, to give the needle plenty of "throw", but will still seal when you turn the 199 off. Also, have you lubricated your Optimus mini pump with graphite? If not, you may pump until your fingers fall off, and still not be putting air into the fuel tank.. Last, make sure you are truly using a kerosene/Multifuel jet, and not the Meths jet. Also, make sure your restrictor is the proper one. Optimus have changed the number of that part, a few times, I believe, and changed it so that it would burn better. Let us know how that works out, and good luck! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. peter burchell Canada

I have another chrome piece that fits under the burner cap but I will have to get a break down so I understand the parts you speak of and can check thanks

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Photos can help with clarifying the descriptions that you give. Terminology between users can get confused.

Ken

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

@peter burchell , Peter,

I just posted to easier to read instructions for the Optimus 199, in the Stove Reference Library. Give them a look, and see if it helps you see which parts are which and what they do/ When you mentioned "another chrome piece that fits under the burner cap" It sounds like you mean a restrictor. If so, then you very well may be setup to burn Methylated Spirits (Marine Grade Alcohol). You will need to remove the restrictor, and also change the jet #2508, to one for kerosene #2509.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/optimus-199-instructions-easy-to-read.43496/#post-460149

Please study the parts and their numbers, and read the instructions a few times. Hopefully, this will help you learn more about your stove. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc