Optimus 199 Ranger steel pan option?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by olive, May 17, 2019.

1. olive

I recently found a like new 199 Ranger and was wondering if anyone knows of a steel top replacement pan that would swap out with the original aluminum one? The cook pan is in new condition, but I'm not super excited about eating or boiling off bare aluminum. Even during my service in the Army they told us not to use our aluminum mess kit they issued us unless in dire need(war time). Has anyone figured out an alternate pan system for their 199? Of course keeping the weight as low as you can and compact for backpacking. Thanks

2. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

My concern for aluminum is that I machined alot of it, and thus probably got a lifetime worth through my skin.
    But, for the times I cook on camp stoves with aluminum, camping, I just go ahead and do it. It is not like every day. I use cast iron daily.
    But, that is me.

3. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

I'm not an alumiphobe either, and I too prefer cast iron.
    But this may be a solution to Olive's problem... Get a Dutch Army surplus mess tin made of stainless steel, and build your Optimus 199 inside. There is the issue of the original handles. They may have to be cut off with a grinder. But the dimensions lend themselves to this sort of transfer.
    These mess kits were patterned after the British Army's WWII nesting pans.

DSC00344.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

DSC00346.JPG

DSC00347.JPG

DSC00348.JPG

DSC00349.JPG

British soldiers called them 'Dixies', I hear. [IDKY]. Other allies copied them, and I know the Dutch also made some in SS. Possibly Denmark too.

Here's my Optimus 99 with my Dutch Dixie. Mess tin was less than $15 USD. Also a great companion for any square Optimus stove w/o modification.

DSC00344.JPG

DSC00345.JPG

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

While you're buying I would suggest getting a second set, you'll find the 96 is a perfect fit in them as well.

5. SveaSizzler

Brilliant.
    Although I don't have any kerosene-based equipment, my stovie career is still young.

6. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

Coleman peak stove top box fit the 99 or 199?
    @kerophile

7. JP2

JP2 Subscriber

8. SveaSizzler

Yes, it does, I see from older posts, but the OP wanted a Non-Aluminum pot/cover. Recently I saw a Coleman Peak 1 case, NIB [w/USMC, Government Property markings] on evil bay with bidding starting at $45 USD and no stove, so they ain't cheap anymore.

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

10. SveaSizzler

@kerophile Good to know. I guess not all of them are that expensive as the Marine one. The companion MSR fuel bottle had an Eagle Globe and Anchor stencilled on it, so that made it more a collectable set.
    I don't have a Peak 1. Last summer, I bought a 502 Sportster with similarly configured case, but about 2 quart capacity to fit the bigger stove. I'm still trying to get the red rust ring off the bottom, as I bought it from a thrift store and it had been stored in a neglectful manner. I also have yet to fettle the 502. I'm still playing around with my 425F double-burner suitcase model.
    [I made a decent Cioppino on it last night, Using an Italian M54 Gammelo. Too hungry for a photo shoot, sorry.]

However the OP wasn't fazed by the size of the Optimus 99/199 pan rig, the OP was wary of Aluminum contacting food, and wanted Stainless Steel, as per the Dutch Dixies.
    [And I wonder why Load Up won't ship to Florida?]

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  11. kerophile

12. SveaSizzler

Thanks, I'll look into it. I tried CLR, a nostrum indicated against calcium, lime and rust. [Wikipedia assures me it's composed of Lactic Acid, Gluconic Acid and Lauramine 0xide diluted in a lot of water.]
    It was only mildly effective. My next option was to be steel wool and elbow grease.

13. olive

Thanks. I found a source on ebay for the Dutch kit, but the seller doesn't have a perfect rating, which I'm not normally fickle about, but the seller is in Lithuania and many past buyers had enough complaints. Not sure if I need the worries. I'll keep looking though. I'm not a fan of eating off of bare aluminum. That is why I replaced my Sievert Svea 123 cup with a Snowpeak titanium mug. The whole svea stove fits in it perfectly (700m/l) mug and weighs just a couple of ounces. It would be nice if someone made a square titanium box to replace the 199 Ranger aluminum one, but I'll settle for steel. Otherwise maybe there is a source that will anodize the 199 Ranger pan, sort of like the newer Trangia pans?

14. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

15. SveaSizzler

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I have not done it, but understand that you can anodize easily at home.

17. SveaSizzler

Sportsman's Guide is out of stock.
    Coleman's Army Navy* [Coleman's Military Surplus and Army Surplus Store] shows it in their online catalog as not in stock, but you can put it on your ''wishlist'' and they'll notify you (if and) when they are back in stock.
    "Dutch Military Stasainless Steel Mess Kit.... $14.95''

* No relation to ''The Sunshine of the Night'' people.

18. olive

Well, I went ahead and ordered the $30 Dutch s/s square pans from Lithuania anyway. It only took 16 days to get them. As of today they only have one left in stock. I think a seller in Poland has a couple as well on ebay for $30 at the moment. Otherwise no one else online has them in my search. I paid the extra $3 to get a tracking code. They are very nice pans. My only complaint is that the handles are a bit overkill (heavy) for the thin pan metal, but that's just me being a gram counting weenie. Thank you all for suggesting them. I really like them.

19. SveaSizzler

Hi Olive. Happy to help. I would suggest you cut off the wire handles with a grinder or hack saw. They would get in the way of closing over the guts of a 99 or 8R anyway. Replace their function with a pair of MSR potgrippers with all the swisscheese-holes. Trim an inch off the ends of that if needed.
    I chased down Kerophile's lead on Load-up.com and bought an aluminum Coleman Peak One case for $17 USD. It was never used, true, but pretty battered in storage. It could be straightened out with a hardwood hammer handle and a rubber mallet, if done skillfully. Tempted to cut it down and fit a stray late-model Optimus 8R inside for a 99-like clone, as described in earlier posts, but I'm not sure I need that level of complexity now. I may have gotten their last one, too. The Coleman case is very close to the Optimus 99's size. Just fractions off. The Coleman top fits tightly over the Opti's lower. But it's a softer alloy.
    Load-up.com also had a neat deal on some blue flightjackets. I got one [XL] for $26 bucks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  20. kerophile