Optimus 1S, L from 1930s.

Discussion in 'Optimus No:1(inc. S & J)' started by kerophile, Feb 15, 2007.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, here are some images of an Optimus 1S,L stove I am working on at present. This particular model dates from the 1930s and is a 2 pint, kerosene-fuelled, collapsible stove, fitted with a roarer burner.

1355093977-DSCN0001_edited-15.jpg

The storage box has had a hard life but I have at least neutralised the rust.

1355093971-DSCN0002_edited-11.jpg 1355093984-DSCN0003_edited-12.jpg

The "reserve" cap is parked on the pump knob when not required on the tank.

1355093993-DSCN0004_edited-7.jpg

The stove is fitted with ornate "claw" feet:

1355094003-DSCN0005_edited-5.jpg

As with many early stoves the quality of the lettering is excellent:

1355094012-DSCN0009_edited-3.jpg

Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Lance

Absolutly lovely. One just has to love the quality of workmanship of the early stoves. Pity that they are not still in production, with this quality today. Your own workmanship shows well here. A lovely polish to show off the high quality of the maker. Well done lad. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

I wonder if they were so highly polished when made new?????

lance

3. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

once again high quality work :D
    but whats with the claw feet??..i would think a break-down stove would appeal
    to the outdoors man but the feet are more for the parlor, tea time ladys..pehaps
    made for sale in the East??

4. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Kerophile,

What a gem of a stove you have there, and as usual, your work on it has been top notch!!! I love the claw feet! They remind me of the feet that Coleman used on their early US-made Solus stoves. Very lovely, all around! Did the reserve tank lid come with the stove, or is that one of Exeter Yak's wonderful lids? I just received several from him, as well as some of the special riser tubes, and his work is outstanding. Again, a great job, and thanks, very much, for sharing it with us! (However, between you, Doug, and Trevor, I'm beginning to be a little embarrassed at the condition of my own stove collection!!! Mine look like yesterday's garbage, compared to the ones you three have undertaken to clean and polish!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: ;) 8) :lol: :lol:)
    Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

5. kerophile

Hi Lance, I certainly agree with you about the workmanship. These Swedes certainly knew their business!
    Regarding the original finish on stoves ( and lamps);
    I believe that they were highly polished and lacquered before they left the factory.
    I have a few "Mint" stoves in their original wrapping and you can see the high polish under a layer of sometimes slightly darkened lacquer. I think they might have used tinted clear lacquers, such as "Antique Gold" colour to "damp-down" some of the brightness of freshly polished brass.
    The appearance of the stoves would have been a big selling point and Traders and shops would want them to look their best when put on display. The lacquer would hopefully have protected the factory shine during transit and storage.

I hope that this particular Optimus stove feels that it is the best it has looked in the past 70 years, or so!
    Regards,
    Kerophile

6. kerophile

Hi Dave and Doc, Thanks for your kind comments.

I think that some of those tough outdoorsmen might have had a (hidden) softer side to their nature, hankering after the pleasures of the drawing room whilst out there on the lonely trail.

There can be no doubt that the inspiration for "claw" feet came from classic furniture design:

This is one of the feet on my dining-room table:

1220784470-P1000667_edited.jpg

Other stove manufacturers besides Optimus used similar ideas. I have a Phoebus 2-pint collapsible stove, with similar feet ( no photo available yet), and even Hipolito got into the act much later on, with one of their 2-pint stoves;

1220784495-P1000101_edited-1.jpg

Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  7. exeter_yak

Hi George, and all others,
    It's a lovely stove and George you are lucky to have a tin for it. I have one from Canada that still needs work and is missing the tin and potlegs.

I think this stove was intended for dual purrpose use such as in a small cabin or cottage. Maybe it has lion's feet to dress it up to help the man talk his wife into purchasing it. This stove shows up in the Optimus 1939 catalog (possibly elsewhere) and appears as a combination unit of a stove for use in summer and for winter:
    1. pg 10 a lamp model 250
    2. pg 20 a heater model 700

I am now tempted to work on the one I have.
    Nice polish and pics George.
    Regards,
    Doug

8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Think of it as maintaining a supply of workpieces for future generations of Brasso-heads. It works for me. :D

Nice work, as ever, George!

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hello, Ian,

Spot on!!! Now, I feel MUCH better!!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

10. kerophile

Hi, It is a depressing Fact of Life that if it is a stove, and it comes in a box, the chances are that Ross already has it, and that his is in far better condition.... The Optimus 1S, L is no exception. Please see attached link:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/9015

I am comforted by the fact that, from the appearance of his stove, Ross sniffs Brasso too!

On the topic of "Claw" footed stoves, I have just photographed one of the feet of a Phoebus No 1, kerosene-fuelled, 2-pint stove from Austria:

1220784616-DSCN0002_edited-12.jpg

I have just realised that I am reflected in each dimple of the claw!

1220784642-DSCN0001_edited-16.jpg

You can see that "claw" feet were obviously very fashionable at one time.... although I cannot recall ever having seen claw feet on an Primus stove.

Regards,
    Kerophile

P.S. To answer an earlier question: the reserve cap is original on this stove although Doug makes equally good, if not better versions.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  11. kerophile

Hi Guys, That loud sucking noise you just heard was me taking my big foot out of my mouth.

Of course Primus made a claw footed stove/ heater;

The Primus 110.

The really embarrassing part is that I have one, with a stuck NRV, which I am soaking in releasing fluid at the moment.

Stoves are fascinating!
    Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. Ian

Ian Subscriber

Well I never ...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  13. bajabum

bajabum R.I.P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  14. DougR

Kerophile, have you - or anyone else - a date for lacquer first appearing on stoves?

The reason I ask is that in the Vintage sax world - 1920s instruments were quite commonly not lacquered - and there were some fabulous finishes available.

15. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

the only stove i have that has a nice Brasso polish job is one i bought from Ross a few years ago ---my excuse is that i'm saving the rest for retirment projects ;) thinking about the claw feet again i can almost see them as part of that English "dressing for dinner in the jungle" life style..

16. kerophile

Hi Steve, Everyone knows that highly polished convex surfaces act like distorting Fairground mirrors. I don't look a bit like C3PO.... More like R2D2.

Best Regards

Kerophile.

17. kerophile

Hi Doug, I have certainly seen full lacquer cover on an un-used 1939 Primus stove I own. I have seen areas of residual lacquer ( usually on the base of the tank) of earlier stoves... 1920s and 30s. It is possible, however, that lacquers, based on natural substances, rather than man-made polymers were available and used from the very early days of stove and lamp production.

Regards,

Kerophile.

18. kerophile

Hi, here are some photos of the top of the burner head showing the lettering:

1383749680-St.124.-Op.1S-Burner-1.jpg 1383749706-St.124.-Op.1S-Burner-2.jpg

The Cyrillic lettering is of the "old", pre-1918 form, and has the "hard" symbol

Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  19. kerophile

Hi, Primus also used decorative feet on their Primus No.110 model:

Primus 110 *

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

20. Staffan Rönn

Staffan Rönn SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Old thread I know, but still a stunningly beautiful stove @kerophile ! The tin box has seen some rough times but just curious - is it possible to read the name of the tin box manufacturer on the back side of the lid?

And thanks for pointing out the Primus "footer".

BR
    Staffan