Optimus 22 Alcohol/Meths (Date unknown)

Discussion in 'Optimus No:22 (all variants)' started by Etherman, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

2. Billyboy

Beauty.

3. jbf

jbf Subscriber

:thumbup::clap:
    Like Billy said
    John

4. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

I'm very curious as to why the burner knobs don't line up with the box and the burner.
    In picture 5 the burner control measures 2-1/8".
    In picture 6 the box opening for the adjusting knob is 1-7/8"
    Any ideas?

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Etherman,

Welcome to CCS!! I have a stove just like yours, but it's and Optimus, and has a different color case. Mine seems not to have been used, or at least not too much. But, your knobs should line up with the holes in the case, and if not, then you can loosen the nut on the errant burner, and reposition it a bit so that it aligns as it should. As to it's age, you can check in the Reference Section, where many Primus catalogs can be found. Search through them, and you should be able to get a date for your stove, within a 10 year period =/- a few years. I've never checked the dating of my own stove, but probably should, someday.....! Congrats on getting your stove, and have fun with it. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. My guess is that your stove, and mine, date to around the time that Optimus bought out Primus, or a bit after that. Maybe Kerophile, or another knowledgeable CCS member, can shed some light on that. But, I believe that the 22 and 22B were Optimus designs, originally, and that those marked "Primus" were done after the two companies became one, under Optimus. Could be wrong, of course......

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  6. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Nice stove.

The timeline for No.22 stoves has not yet been fully worked out, However there are several posts where the succession of these stoves is discussed in relation to design features.

Your stove has straight pan supports whereas later models had rather attractice "flower" shaped supports.

Earlier stoves had "cookie cutter" shape knobs on the regulators, whereas yours has the later thicker rounded knobs.

So your stove falls between the early and later models.

The picture is somewhat confused as the Optimus designed No.22 stoves was "badge engineered" in the early 1960s and also marketed under the Primus name, alongside the near identical Optimus version.

The Primus-badged Nos.22 and 22b stoves appear in their 1967 catalogue but there is no mention of the alcohol version. The illustration shows a stove with "flower" pan supports and "cookie cutter" control knobs.

The Optimus catalogue for 1972 shows both the No.22 and 22b models and also mentions the alcohol version in the spare parts listing. Their illustration shows a stove with "flower" shape pan supports and the later thicker control knobs.

Health Warning = Never rely on the illustrations in Stove Manufacturer's catalogues. They often saved money by using older illustration blocks rather than create new ones.

OK time to stick my neck out. I reckon your stove was likely made in the early to mid-1960s as an alcohol fuel version for the USA market.
    This was the early years of the Primus Trading Co. and your example shows features of both early and later forms of this excellent stove.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

7. kerophile

Hi, one other " later" feature of your stove, along with the thicker control knobs, are the "cups" which secure the burners when the stove case is closed. Earlier models of the No.22 had clips formed from steel strip.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

Hi Doc

I would love to see your stove it sounds pristine. Also would like to know if the alignment is different.

Respectfully
    Etherman

9. Etherman

Etherman Subscriber

Dear Kerophile

Your expertise on dating and identity is incredible. Thank you as you are a valuable resource.

Respectfully
    Etherman

10. kerophile

Hi, thanks for the kind remarks. The CCS Site is a great resource ad time spent in the Reference gallery and catalogue library is seldom wasted.

I would make an observation on alignment of knobs on regulated burner stoves.

It sometimes happens when installing a regulated burner in a stove, that when the burner is fully tightened the regulating control does not match-up with the hole in the case or surround.

With burners which utilise heat-resistant washers, one solution which used to be offered by the manufacturers, was washers of different thicknesses. Whereas a standard HR Washer might be 1.5 mm thick, they might also offer 1mm and 2mm HR washers.

SIMPLE...by chosing a non-standard washer or combining a pair, you can fine tune alignment and adequate tightness to get correct positioning of the control knobs.

Base Camp sells non-standard HR washers:

CTK1105 Heatproof Packing for marine stoves, thicker than 2221, used on Shipmate and similar stoves to get spindle pointing forwards. Also useful on any large stove to seal difficult burners. £ 1.35

alternatively, if you are patient you can grind-down a standard HR Washer using wet and dry abrasive paper (used wet) and supported on a glass sheet to give a flat surface.

Another option is to seek out suitable size soft copper washers.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  11. blauw96

blauw96 Subscriber

My Optimus 22 (green color) is an alcohol version equipped with butterfly shaped pan support, but it is not possible to close the lid. The burners are too high for this kind of pan support. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this the right support?
    Thanks in advance.

Rien

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0765.JPG

12. Retro Camper

I didn't know such a thing existed (an alcohol fuelled 22). That's another stove added to my wish list!

13. shueilung.2008

shueilung.2008 Subscriber

Seeing the notches in the side of the case, I'm affraid that the correct pan supports would be the paralel bars...

Nice stove!

Cheers

Enrique

14. Jeff1234 United States

I have the same stove! It's a little rougher than yours and yes I've wondered why the control knob shafts on not go thru those holes??? I don't use it much any more and should probably sell it.
    Finally found out some info about its age and history.
    Thanks,
    Jeff