OPTIMUS 22 - who can restore my stove to mint-looking condition?

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by REN, Apr 24, 2019.

1. REN United States

CD01FA20-72C1-4588-9F2F-1DB56CE1FF42.jpeg

A935EBD1-3AFE-4F8C-8980-204C9AE68EB8.jpeg

A9ACF638-B048-4657-89CA-116B09437C04.jpeg

7EDAF574-DADB-4BB0-ADC0-505D19B54871.jpeg

50CBD655-978A-407B-B2D9-0B70F9C45534.jpeg

2F3B5450-6F5F-47B4-BEBF-21AF7AC39F80.jpeg

56468D89-2CD7-44B4-9717-B31F27D0A767.jpeg

Is there anybody out there who specializes in restoring Optimus alcohol stoves? I attached some photos of my stove. I have seen some fabulously restored Optimus stoves on this forum and would appreciate if I could find someone willing to do this job.

2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

You should do it yourself. That's half the fun of owning one of these stoves. Trust me it would be worth it.

Alex

3. REN United States

Here are some pictures of the inside. Normally I would agree with you but I don’t have the first clue as to how to go about it and I don’t want to damage my stove, so I’m looking for a skilled person to do it for me.

45016B8F-9B33-4146-8438-11B671810D7B.jpeg

CC0B064E-918C-4432-AA75-E8D8E8252F20.jpeg

CA523F5B-7D3C-47EC-8ABD-A40C6387A44D.jpeg

D92CBA0F-88BF-4A89-9D8D-D526B36EFCAB.jpeg

1CF5FEAE-9274-42AC-8C03-65498E9E1D37.jpeg

4. HunterStovie

HunterStovie United States Subscriber

Looks like the alcohol only version and I have not seen too many of them. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it. It looks like a lot of work, just take your time, read a lot from this website and eventually you will have a functional and cleaner stove that looks better than it does but I doubt it will ever look a like factory new stove..

5. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

I don't see the three piece burner caps required for this stove. Those are rare and almost unobtanium.

6. Marc

Marc Subscriber

Berniedawg might do it.

Bluewater Stove Restoration

No affiliation, only experience I have is that Mr. Dawg has been cordial in emails with me.

7. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

You can ask someone else. Like buying a vintage car and paying someone to restore it so you can drive it. What do you then know about what can go wrong?

This is a site that informs us on what and how to do the work you desire. The time to do it is well spent.

At least clean it up and learn how to do the regular maintenance.

8. itchy

I am assuming there is a story behind that stove that makes having it restored important.

If you are willing to spend big $$ to have someone else do it, you might want to look for a professional restoration outfit that handles antique appliances, and such. Getting the stove working, once you have the burner parts, is relatively easy compared with restoring the case -- at least that is my point of view for what its worth.

9. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Yes, what is the story behind the stove?

10. Jim Lukowski United States

@REN If you chose to do it yourself, or at least start it yourself, I think you'll find that cleanup is not as bad as you're imagining. In addition, the fine folks here will gladly provide guidance.

11. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

You should sell it to me rather than restore it. [-o<

Ben

12. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hello REN from Brooklyn,
    Welcome, thanks for the question. imo "... mint-looking conditionfabulously restored ..." takes it to a more challenging level (and may limit responses) .

Anyway above Marc has answered your OP... are we done?
    Itchy being familiar w/stoves views getting it functional maybe the easier portion.
    FYI, In the US, I'm unaware of anyone that " … specializes in restoring Optimus alcohol stoves" .
    A&H has not been mentioned, although they were an Optimus parts/repair agent years ago (& do dabble in alky stoves)… it may be telling they've not been suggested here?

If your request has not progressed as it is, a few suggestions:
    1. This is a tall order imo, if you can't see doing the work but want a restored stove, you may want to buy a restored stove , read-on, (clearly you can sell yours once replaced). **As compact as the 22 is, I can't suggest other models to consider. Nice 22s (w/flame shot) are few and far between and will run you $275+, today's market imo.
    2. Would you consider asking as a 1st step to repair yours to safe functional stove? I don't know if responses might improve here but may be worth a try. There are 2 skill sets involved, getting it to function vs getting it to look good (the latter is not exclusive to camp stoves).
    3A Re "restore" restoration... consider subscribing to this site, it allows you to research your model, to ID it's parts etc.
    3B In this case, I don't think the 22 was offered with alcohol burners so, "restoration" (to like original) may not interest you. Which iirc restores it to burn either white gas or kerosene. This is a problematic, likely expensive, option if original burners can't be sourced (which is probably the case).

4. Life goes on "maybe" out with the old, in with the newlet it go to *someone in a position to make good use of it. *Note Ben's in a wet suit and he may like alcohol burners?, original or not.
    **If slightly bigger footprint and not in a case is an option there are MANY nice 2 burner (marine) alcohol stoves to consider. IE galley or table top, I can't think of anything as compact as a 22.
    thanks omc. with limited access today
    @REN @z1ulike

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  13. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

@REN I agree.

14. threedots New Zealand

I think there was an Optimus 22 Alcohol stove produced by the factory. I seem to remember seeing one somewhere. It could have been here on this site. Possibly quiet rare as I don't think many were made.
    Cheers, John

15. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Ah yes!!! Thank you John that's my something new learned today.

Chances are good REN was aware of that as well, I'm sorry for making an inaccurate comment, I goofed.
    There are 2 in the gallery.
    One has "Optimus" embossed on case (early thin Optimus knobs) the other a Primus 22 (made by Optimus) with round Primus sticker and later knobs w/"Primus".
    REN's may also be a Primus for that matter.
    All 3 with the two straight bars for grate.

I did not (yet) see an alcohol version in catalogs I looked at,
    but expect one day we may see "paper" offering this version and we have that to look forward to.
    We can recognize (and service) that type of Optimus alcohol burner. If one might agree that it is a fairly rare burner... the R & L versions would be all the more rare. thx again omc
    @REN @threedots

16. threedots New Zealand

No need to be sorry at all @OMC . We value your your knowledgeable input.
    We all learn something almost daily on this site.

I agree that those burners would be hard to source as they appear different at the base to the usual Optimus Alcohol burners. The parts that are fitted to the usual type may possibly be the same for these burners.
    Cheers, John