Optimus 22

Discussion in 'Optimus No:22 (all variants)' started by BernieDawg, Feb 18, 2010.

1. BernieDawg Banned

Optimus 22 I obtained from New Zealand. I did the operational fettles (though the NRV could still use a rework). All else about the stove is as received (as if you couldn't tell). :oops: :roll: :lol:

I notice this stove has white knobs. Anyone care to comment? :-k

1266460628-IMGP1682.jpg 1266460636-IMGP1683.jpg 1266460645-IMGP1684.jpg 1266460657-IMGP1688.jpg 1266460677-IMGP1689.jpg

Enjoy,
    Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. RonPH

Nice Gary. So you don't have to use two 111's during car camping. I'll bet that will be your mainstay for outings.

Ron

3. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Yes you're a very lucky git :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I have a 111 and 111B with white knobs. I think they must have been early models due to the cases, but with Optimus who can tell? :roll:
    There must be some significance though.

btw nice stove
    there seems to be have been a lot of nice stoves in NZ :whistle: ;) :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  4. RonPH

Man! Lucky stoves, they travel halfway the globe to its new home. What logical reason would it be that there are a lot of this stoves in that part of the world? Anyone care to speculate on that?

Ron

5. Matukat

Matukat Subscriber

It's MIDDLE-EARTH!

6. RonPH

Middle Earth? Now what movie did I hear that from?

7. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

Yep, I reckon the average Kiwi/NZ'er must have been more of the outdoor type than the average person. They must have been a more discerning buying public stove-wise and on top of that I suppose they might Have needed twin burners/ranges in a domestic way. Or perhaps being a colony (pre 1954) Condrup had the market stitched up and that was the only choice they had? Dunno but they do have some great kit over there...

8. theyellowdog

That is a nice stove Gary!

Yes, that is an early model with that tin. The next model has curved burner holders and different slots for the handles and the third had the curved burner holders and the flower pot supports. There may be others but that is my understanding of the differences.

This is not one of mine but have had a couple with white handles I did not think anything of it really - just handles to me. I do have an embossed 111 with a white handle now but did not think it was anything special. I like the end the fire comes out of.

There are a lot of some types of stoves in NZ but the range is quite narrow compared to the U.K. Plus we did not make many stoves here ourselves.

9. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Dan
    just looked at the pics and i see what you mean Gary's Case has two 111 type spirit cup clips
    i hadn't noticed till you said that
    has the lid got a cut out for the latch like most 111's
    or is it a smaller round clip that just catches the edge of the case flap with no slot like this 111 below

1266467001-111whiteknob.JPG

sorry to bring 111's into a 22 thread but if it's the same type latch it's interesting to know (well it interests me)
    i have zoomed in on Gary's latch it looks like the slotted type

atb Bill

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  10. mbechtel

Nice Gary!
    Those burners are really putting out some flame. I like the differences in these stoves, it just makes each one more interesting. I like those white knobs.

11. theyellowdog

Hi Bill.

Yes they have a slot, I think, I do not have a 22 at the moment but am 99% sure. (Should have one here by Monday however.)

This info (below link) is good (and also makes what I said about the holes for the control knobs wrong)... it is not 100% correct as Matt's 22 for example has flower pot supports and an embossed case but it is good info none the less. Also I recall some 22's with the flower pot supports in the older style case. I guess there will always be cross over as things change.

It is all guess work as far as my input goes. If anyone disputes what I say, best assume they are correct!

https://classiccampstoves.com/posts/87897

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  12. parramethtrol

parramethtrol Subscriber

hi Dan
    thanks for that link, i read the whole post it should be in the ref gal like the 111 history/timeline one
    i hadn't seen it before but i would if it was in the 22 section :doh:
    where are the mods when you need them :roll: ;) :lol:

13. hydro451

Hi All,

Yo Gary, don't know much about the knobs other than they are gorgeous and the stove is a flame thrower. Good score and congrats on a super runner

Tom

14. BernieDawg Banned

Thanks gents. I know it's not pretty and I apologize for that. Especially when compared to the others posted in this section. I do plan to do more work on it to try to spiff it up a bit. I'll post redos later for the record.

I'd like to thank Matt (mbechtel) for providing the impetus to get me moving on this one by posting his lovely 22. He also was kind enough to give good advice in PT on bending the fuel feed tubes from the curves they were in back to straight. Now the spindles can actually align with the burners. That operation turned out to be relatively simple but it sure had me all bound in knots to do it. :roll: :lol: Thanks again, Matt. :thumbup:

I've looked through the catalogs posted here at CCS, and it appears to me that I'm seeing the white knobs dating the stove to the late 1950's. That's if they original to the stove, of course. I think the white looks good with the green paint. Though maybe not so practical given my perennial greasy paws. ;)

Later today I will be posting a related article in the Frankenstove section here at CCS. The feedback I've gotten from a few close stove friends I've shared with indicates that it should be of interest. :shock: :o 8) :lol:

Best,
    Gary

15. mbechtel

My pleasure Gary. I'm glad I could finally help somebody a little after all the countless pointers, good advice and some fine items obtained from all the good friends here. :D

16. BernieDawg Banned

Just a quick update on this one. This is how it looks now after a case strip and repaint.

1286233342-IMGP4777.jpg

Clearly, most everything has been polished (to excess, perhaps) as well. The original roarer burners are in the background and I still need to replace the spindle on one of them, but I have the parts. Just don't have the time at the moment.

I'm still too dazzled by all the glitter to fire it. Perhaps this winter when things are dark and dreary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  17. Knight84

Wow that is one shiny stove!!! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I want I want I want!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the update!!! :clap: :clap:

Jeff

18. toonsgt

Wow! That looks better than new! Love the double silents. If you throw away the roarers, let me know. HA!

Excellent work!

Gotta cry "foul" though. What's this about a PT for straightening those tubes? I'm very interested to know what method you used. Not bitching, just curious.

Mike

19. idahostoveguy

Whew! That looks surreal!

Very nice. The frankie fettle was worth doing!

sam

20. RonPH

Gary excessively polished alright. Hate to fire it up after such a lovely polish ;)

I like to polish too! Here lookie

1286248696-1021.jpg 1286248710-1021B.jpg 1286248710-1021B.jpg 1286248721-Cap.jpg

Sorry for the hijack :lol:

Ron

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015