Optimus 22B (Green Case)

Discussion in 'Optimus No:22 (all variants)' started by snwcmpr, May 16, 2014.

1. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I got this a few weeks ago, and with the price of the 22 stove lately, I am fortunate to have one. :thumbup:
    All in all this stove was in sad shape. :-({|= I took it apart and cleaned with soap and water, with BBs in the tank. I soaked the windscreens in 50/50 white vinegar and water for about 6 hours, then used a brass wire brush and 0000 steel wool.

The NRV came out quite easily, but the pip that was in there was stuck at the bottom of the small tube, it was too big, or had swollen. I replaced it with one of Stu's buckets and a pip from Fettle Box. I replaced the filler cap gasket with one from Fettle Box as well.
    A bit of bending and tapping to straighten the mangled spirit cups, as well as some bending of the burner tubes of the right burner. That burner must have been 'banged' somehow. I annealed the burner with a torch and very carefully bent it upright. The flame spreader holders were improperly positioned also. they needed to be 'put straight' also.

I replaced the pump cup with one from Sefa, and replaced the plain old 'NUT', that was used as a pump knob, with a pump knob from a kero burner that isn't working. (I do not recall the model).

I cannot find any Optimus 22 stoves with this color of a box. The Optimus decal tells me it 'should be' the original color. The embossing indicates it is somewhat old, but the self-cleaning needles tell me it isn't that old.

It is missing the pot stand, so I will have to acquire one, or make something that will work. Any ideas??? ](*,) :?:

Here are photos.
    Note the left burner has a section on the left of its flame that is 'missing' some of the flame. If I reduce the flame it will burn evenly. The left needle seems to have a lot more movement than the right needle. I can feel a bit of the cog when turning the left valve. If I had a tool to remove the jets, I would reset the needle. The right burner burns very well, and the flame spreader gets very red very soon. The left flame spreader does not get red on the left side. [-(

Oh, I did not remove the valve stems, as I would like to have the jets out when I do that.

Thanks for looking,
    Ken in NC

1400246506-Optimus22B_015.JPG
    1400246521-Optimus22B_001.JPG
    1400246533-Optimus22B_006.JPG
    1400246546-Optimus22B_007.JPG
    1400246562-Optimus22B_008.JPG
    1400246576-Optimus22B_013.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. itchy

Nice find Ken.

I've never seen the pot stands for these for sale. I don't know for sure, but they look all the world like long 111 pot stands to me. If you don't want to try to fabricate a set from scratch, I wonder if it would be possible to "expand" a set of 111 pot stands by splicing in a rod of appropriate size. It is not something I would try, but there are a couple of folks here that certainly might.

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, Ken,

Hearty congratulations on scoring a nice 22!! Those are outstanding stoves, and like you, I am lucky and blessed to have one. The green paint on mine is a very soft green, almost "moss" in color, and not the bright green that's on your case. Makes me think that yours has been repainted, which is fairly common, me thinks. As to the decal, I have Primus 8R that was painted black at some time in it's life, and the decal is still insitu. So, it was either carefully masked, and painted around, or removed, case painted black, and decal replaced. Can't tell from just looking.

In any case (no pun intended) ;) :D it's grand that you have a nice 22 now, and I think you will like it very much. As to pot stands, I can measure mine, and send that info to you, if it would help. I have both types of pot stands, the straight rails, and the "flower" type. Straight rails would be easier, if that's what you choose to do.

Again, well done on getting a 22, and many thanks for sharing your good fortune here at CCS!! Huzzah!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

4. BernieDawg Banned

Nice stove, Ken. Burning well.
    Your 22B would have been fitted with the flower style supports originally. You can tell by the pair of holes on the upper edge of the lower box pan where the support ends would have been inserted. Also indicative, there are no sockets stamped into the sides of the lower box pan that will take the straight supports. That lack would make situating refabbed straight supports difficult if not impossible.
    I suppose you could just fab up some sort of stand that could act as a pot support arrangement. :-k

5. Pinky

Pinky Subscriber

WOOHOO!!!

Congrats on the 22B Ken!!! :D/

And I agree with Gary. Flower petal pot supports.
    With the thick plastic knobs, this one would have been the last generation of the 22/22B family.

I have a spare spring-steel knob holder that Stu made to replace your missing one. I ordered two but only need one. All yours, just needs to be welded in. I'll pop it in the mail on Monday. You're also welcome to borrow my flower petal pot supports if you want to take measurements and try and reproduce them somehow.

Yay!!! Glad you were able to get it! :D/ :clap:

6. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Thanks .... PM on its way!!!!

7. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Ken,

After another look, a totally agree with Gary and Pinky. If you would like to borrow a flower petal support to use as a template, I'll gladly loan one to you. Or, if you would prefer measurements and photos, I can do that, too. Let me know if this sounds interesting, and we can go from there. Your 22 will be doing what it does best, when you get "those last few things" done to it, including cobbling together a pot support. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

P.S. Had another thought. I have two Optimus 831 gassie stoves, which use a very similar, but slightly different flower petal pot support. If the measurements are good enough for that support to be fit into your 22 case, I would happily send one your way. You would have to slightly mod your case, by drilling an extra hole, or two, I think. But, it just might work! Let me know, and I'll see if that support would fit into my 22 case.

8. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Thanks, Doc.
    Let me see what pans out. If Pinky sends his to me, maybe measurements of yours would suffice.
    It does seem to me that the 'old style' 2 bar method should work well enough to hold pots. If one of the two bars is secured with a screw through the existing holes on left and right, that may be all I need.
    Ah, more brazing is on the horizon.

Add:
    I pulled a tool from one of my 111's and used it to remove the jet and re-positioned the needle. But, that did not fix the flame on the left burner. Still at full blast it loses flame on the left side. I will look more closely later. (I suspect that the burner is bent as the right one was.)

Ken in NC

9. theyellowdog

Primus had a gas stove with the flower petal arrangement, I don't know if it is spaced correctly and is unlikely to pivot up. But one of those might be a good starting point, you might find one cheap. I saw one at the dump here the other day.

10. Dutch_Peter

Hi Ken,

Congratulations with this great stove!! You'll find that it's a great user with a lot of power and easy to use. It's also the loudest and most-paid-for stove in my collection :D :D But seriously, it's a stove well worth of finding, owning and using.

It's likely the jet that's causing the issue. It's easy to test this: Change the jet with a spare or one from the 111 or 123R/8R and see if it fixes the problem.

If the jet is the culprit indeed: Wim and hikerduane once told me to take a small drill and gently swirl it by hand (!!) over the jet opening (Link) . This will "remove any burrs that might be mis-directing the stream of vapourised fuel". It's worth a try IMHO and if it fails, then simply replace the jet 8)

Congratulations again!
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  11. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Yellowdog, was this the Primus gas stove that you had in mind?

1400279300-A_twin_hob_original_Primus_.jpg

Regards,
    Kerophile.

12. theyellowdog

Hi, Kerophile, maybe it was. I don't look closely at gas stoves. If that is what I mean then its clearly a poor match. However I do think i have seen one that resembles a 22 a little more.

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Ken,

Here are a few quick shots, of a 22B, and the 831 flower petal supports. I've taken them both at rest, and pivoted to the side, which is a little different than how the 22/22B pivots, but still might work for you. See what you think:

1400285820-DSCN4754.JPG

1400285858-DSCN4755.JPG

1400285877-DSCN4756.JPG

The supports from the 831 just "might" work, and if you are interested, I'll see how they fit my 22, or 22B, and give you a shout. Might now happen tonight, but in the next few days I can definitely do it. Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

14. loco7stove

loco7stove Subscriber

If that left hand burner is playing up have a quick look at the jet with an eye loup or good magnifying glass & :-k i think the jet hole maybe burred over on one side & this can be chamfered back with a small sharp drill bit to give a good clean exit for the vapourised fuel & this should cure that slightly uneven flame pattern :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

15. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I will look at it again this morning.

Thanks,
    Ken in NC

16. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Here are some close ups of the left jet. Two before and one after. It did fix the problem. That burner blasts!!!

Thanks Stu!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks all,
    Ken in NC

1400422603-Optimus22B_Left_Jet__1_.JPG

1400422611-Optimus22B_Left_Jet__2_.JPG

1400422620-Optimus22B_Left_Jet__3_.JPG

17. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Update:
    I made a pot support set up.
    I did not want anyone to confuse my home made pot support and I did not feel like making a set up to bend the rods to make appropriate flower pedal design supports, so I just sil-brazed some rods across the supports.
    I used 2 pins in a plate of steel, clamped to a bench, to make a few bends, by hand, and then cut to the length I wanted.
    Harris Safty-Vilv 50N, as recommended by berniedawg for use with steel and a propane torch.

There are quite a few masters on this forum. I feel like a hack most of the time. But, I have learned that the only true failure is to not even try. This is the result of my work in a home shop, not a machine shop, with what I have available.
    I guess it's about time to paint it.

Ken in NC

1424366904-001.JPG
    1424366916-002.JPG
    1424366928-003.JPG
    1424366950-004.JPG
    1424366961-005.JPG
    1424366975-006.JPG
    1424366989-007.JPG

18. z1ulike United States SotM Winner

That looks pretty darn good to me. I think you understate your abilities. I can't even solder!

19. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Tea time ... so ... Flame shots!

Ken in NC

1424376752-Optimus22B__18_.JPG
    1424376759-Optimus22B__19_.JPG
    1424376769-Optimus22B__20_.JPG

20. monkeyboy

pretty darn cool Ken. i like a good refurb