Optimus 22B.

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Matthew92, May 27, 2013.

1. Matthew92

Matthew92 SotM Winner Subscriber

I think this is the last stove I have to post today. :lol: The condition isn't too bad, but I think it needs a bit of a spruce up. Has anyone tried with any success, burning paraffin in a 22B, or would changing the burners for paraffin ones be the only way to do this? I'd like to use it but I'm not crazy about it being petrol. For £25 I wasn't going to leave it and wait for another to come along though. :lol:

1369679481-Opti_22_a.jpg
    1369679487-Opti_22_b.jpg
    1369679494-Opti_22_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Shed-man

Shed-man R.I.P.

Matt, I think that some Opti 22B's were configured for paraffin. Anyway, there is no danger in trying it with kero, rather than the other way round! (petrol in a kero :shock: :shock: ) Fettle it and give it a go mate :) Steve.

3. alnl1996

Wow! You would have been kicking yourself for letting that deal go. Good score. We need some flame shots please.

4. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

We don't see many of these on our side of the Atlantic. I always thought the 22B had the same burner as the 111B burning white gas/petrol only. Can you take off the windscreen and show a burner close up?

Ray

5. Matthew92

Yeh really pleased with this, glad I didn't leave it there. I think the burners are the same as the 111B but I don't have one to check against, so I'll take some pics when I get chance, if someone doesn't chip in and answer this question in the meantime. :D

6. Dutch_Peter

You lucky :D :D That's a great find !!

I like the 22B very much because it's easy to light (and for many other reasons of course)! Add meths, pump, add a squirt of petrol and light. Whoush, there she goes! I've had occasions whereby the flame jumped to the other burner after lighting the first and having prepared the second .... :D

Anyone mentioning safety?

7. Ed Winskill

Ed Winskill United States Subscriber

When you locate a supply of the left burners, let us know! 8)

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

£25 is about $60NZ and far better condition than ones that sell here for twice that price. Did you tell the seller there were bits missing? A good clean and lick of paint and it will be good as new. I have a feeling those burners with 3 tubes can burn kero

9. cazna

I have one and when i got it the tank smelled of kero?? My runs great on kero?? I thought they were kero?? Maybe its petrol?? Mmm, Im confused.

10. cazna

Actually hang on, Ignore my last post, I just checked and its a 22, not a 22B.

Here's some pics. I paid $60 for it and it was a mess so I got it sandblasted and painted. I did my 41 case as well and my Hurlock tin. All the same colour.

OK so I'm guessing the 22 is kero?? 22B is petrol??
    1369723909-DSCF3855_opt.jpg 1369723926-DSCF3856_opt.jpg

11. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Yes, 'B' is Benzin i.e. petrol, gasoline etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  12. theyellowdog

Hi Colin Your stoves look great, good paint work. I wish my 22 looked half as good.

13. Mikko S

That paint looks really nice...

I need to paint my 22 and repaint couple of other stoves this summer. I practiced on my car last weekend, so now I'm good enough to paint my stoves... ;)

14. Matthew92

Ok so I tried kero in it tonight, and I did get some nice blue flame and a really good loud sound as well, but there was also quite a bit of yellow flame and any slight lose in heat to the burner and there was some serious flare ups. 8-[ I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the jets are going to have a bigger orifice due to the fact that they are designed for petrol, which can't be helping matters. I have a spare jet lying around that I bought for a no.12 which I think will fit so I'll swap that out, remove the pricker and have another go. I'll keep you all updated with my progress. :D

15. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

kero uses a smaller jet

16. theyellowdog

22b will not burn kero because the pipes that lead up to the burner are dummies. No fuel flows through them, therefore there is not enough heat to vapourise the kero.

Kero jets are generally smaller than white fuel jets, however a 22 , not 22b, burns kero or white fuel with the same jet ( the same jet as an 8r). On a 22 the fuel flows through the burner head and this provides better vaporisation.

17. Dutch_Peter

Do you have pictures of the 22B running on kero with or without the kerojet?

18. Matthew92

Here are some pics of it trying to run on kero. It's not the worst burn I've ever seen but by no means the best. I'll try one last time with the other jet I have and see where that takes me but I won't go much further than that at the moment. To me it just has the looks of an over fuelling burner, fixed by a new jet but perhaps not. :-k :-s

1369857973-opti_22_1.jpg
    1369857981-opti_22_2.jpg