Optimus 22B

Discussion in 'Other Models' started by ken160, Dec 25, 2020.

1. ken160 South Africa

Here's my 22b that i will overall shortly.
    This looks like the business cooking wise,but i will need quite a bit of guidance to make her do that :D.
    (Everything's there,only i'm afraid to fire her.)

IMG_20201223_183150.jpg IMG_20201223_183218.jpg IMG_20201223_183233.jpg IMG_20201223_183242.jpg IMG_20201223_183300.jpg

2. The Warrior

The Warrior United States Subscriber

Looks to be in nice shape, congrats.

3. ken160 South Africa

Please move to the right thread,sorry i missed that.

4. ken160 South Africa

Thank you Warrior

5. Duck

Duck United States Subscriber

Don’t be scared If all the seals are good ...fire it.

6. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx SotM Winner Subscriber

Looks to be in good shape. Great stoves and for what it is worth IMHO pound for pound the best two burner ever made. The only thing you probably won't like is that the two bar grate isn't the best for balancing small pots on. Other than that, yes do the seals and it will be an absolute joy to fire and use.

Alex

7. joshua

joshua Subscriber

Zeer mooie brander. Have the same on my truck with this corona.the most restaurants are close.

8. Robert Radcliffe

Robert Radcliffe United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

A really great stove, though my preference is always for the paraffin burning versions. Personally I tend to opt the Coleman twin burners for petrol, as the check valve arrangement is much safer than an NRV.
    Rob.

9. ken160 South Africa

Thank you kindly everybody,
    Berniedawgs' restoration of a 111b on Youtube explains the process very good.
    Some info reg parts needed for a service would be most welcome [-o<
    (One of the cleaning needles are also broken off.)
    @joshua Baie dankie,geniet jou brander!

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Good Morning, @ken160 ,

Welcome to CCS!! Your 22B is a wonderful stove, and a coveted favorite here! Don't be afraid to use it with Coleman Fuel. BUT, do replace all gaskets, seals, pips, and such, before firing it up! You can get a rebuild kit from The Fettle Box, right here at CCS, and it will have all the parts you need to replace all those items. I don't know if the kit has a new cleaning needle, but you can ask Ross, the owner of The Fettle Box, and this site, if he offers them for your 22B burners. If not, then check Basecamp, out of the UK, and Mike will most certainly have them for you. I have three 22B's, one (or two) 22's, and also a fairly rare 22B Meths version. Great stoves, all!! We've used the 22B's the most, as we've owned them the longest. Once backpacked one in Yosemite National Park, including carrying it up behind Half Dome, where we made our camp. We climbed up the back side of Half Dome, the next day, and it was great to have the 22B in camp, so we could fire it up, and cook a nice dinner, after our climb!! Made bacon and eggs, and also pancakes, with the 22B on that trip, and it worked a treat! Yes, it was a tad heavy to carry, but we thought it was worth every ounce, when we were enjoying the meals it provided for us!!

The comments about Coleman stoves being safer with gasoline (Coleman Fuel) are true, BUT, with proper regular maintenance, the 22B is a very safe stove, and should give you many years of faithful service!! Be super careful about keeping the left burner safe, and free from damage, as that burner is VERY, VERY, VERY hard to find, if you break yours in some way!!! Good luck, take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

PS - on another trip to Yosemite, we carried one of our 111B's, and it, too, worked perfectly, and was totally safe!

11. ken160 South Africa

Great stuff,thank you so much Doc Mark for sharing,
    Apologies,i'm a stove newbie and very curious to the left burner comment.
    Is it a pressure scenario?
    Regards,

12. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

HI, Ken,

No, not at all. The burner is strong and reliable. BUT, should something happen to it, it's very hard, if not impossible, to find a new replacement! That lesson was brought home to me, when one of my 22's, which had been abused by a former owner, would NOT respond to my fettling attempts! I was almost ready to scrap the whole project, until I finally found some parts that were slightly oversized, and worked perfectly in that left burner!! Thank God for that blessing. Others, here at CCS, have also learned to treat that left burner like it is made of gold, because it will take a lot of "gold" to replace it!! Just a word to the wise.

Doc