Optimus 323 Rider

Discussion in 'Optimus No:323' started by Doc Mark, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, All,

Yesterday, I found two stoves, one of which was an Optimus 323 Rider, with it's box, and instructions. After stopping in to see a friend, from whom I'd bought stoves and parts before, I noticed the Optimus 323 sitting on his work desk. I asked if I could see it, and found it near new in condition. In fact, it appears only to have been fired once, or twice, and never really used for cooking. I asked if he wanted to sell it, and he said, "Sure, I'll sell it to you". When I asked his price, he said, "How about $20"? I said, "SOLD"!, and had my money out of the wallet in super quick time!! ;) 8) :lol: :lol:

So, here is the little Opti I bought yesterday:

1422295013-DSCN5108.JPG

1422295061-DSCN5109.JPG

1422295075-DSCN5110.JPG

1422295091-DSCN5111.JPG

1422295109-DSCN5112.JPG

1422295128-DSCN5113.JPG

1422295145-DSCN5114.JPG

1422295169-DSCN5115.JPG

1422295221-DSCN5116.JPG

1422295240-DSCN5117.JPG

1422295263-DSCN5118.JPG

Though this model is not a favorite of mine, how could I pass up getting a nice one for display, especially for the excellent price?! I do have one or two of these to actually use, but would probably use the updated version of this stove, the 324 Rider, which is easier to use, and less prone to knob melting, and knuckle burner. But, in truth, though I believe the Rider stoves were created to compete with the fantastic Coleman Model 400, there is NO comparison, and the M400 SMOKES the Rider stoves, hands down, in all ways possible!! Still, it's fun to own the Riders and that is reason enough to buy them, if you can find a good deal, as I did yesterday!! Thanks for checking this new stove out, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. My apologies for the "photo studio setup". I am taking photos of Sweet Bride's work, and decided to stick the 323 in there, too, just because I was already setup for photos.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Odd

Great catch my friend!
    /Odd

3. Sparky

Sigh....all my friends cook on Sterno Stoves....

4. itchy

Nice one Doc, and good pics. I have long been curious about them, so it is interesting to hear your comments as well.

I hear you Sparky. I need to upgrade my friends.

5. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

That's excellent Doc. One of your photos shows off the 'stick-shift' quicklighter control to great effect.

You're right that it's not always the obvious choice on functionality alone that induces us to fire up and use a more temperamental alternative. Fun, as you say (short of getting a scorched knuckle that is).

John

6. OMC

OMC Subscriber

Hi Doc,
    An excellent example and buy indeed, congats! As you said "the M400 SMOKES the Rider stoves, hands down, in all ways possible!!"
    I agree, and might add the 323 often smoked itself out of competition followed by a melt down.

The fact that so many have melted makes it rare AND yours such an EXCELLENT complete contribution you so nicely shared.
    Odd how some unexpected examples become the more rare /collectible items. I happened across said "melted 323 example" cheap and quickly
    let it go cheap in-trade.
    I was surprised to see fuel capacity on box at only 7 oz.
    Do you think that is one proper fill (hopefully not total tank size? "capacity" is often a tank's size).
    If you get the chance and have other updates could you share what the next entry is below the 7 oz? I can't make it out. thx omc

7. Jeopardy

Jeopardy Subscriber

Nice score, Doc.
    Glad it's not just me that was thinking Coleman 400. To my untrained eye there are just too many similarities for it not to be an attempt to compete.
    Regards
    John

8. jenspetter 123

Hi

Great find and just 20 Dollars!!!! Could it be better? They are still out there. But you have to be at the right place at the right time. :thumbup:

BR

jenspetter

9. dsk

Congratulations Doc!
    Never seen one of those for real, whats told here in the thread, its probably far from the workhorse 111, but still interesting. I guess that melt down depends on the user.

dsk

10. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator, R.I.P. Subscriber

As usual, Doc, bargains just seem to throw themselves at you.
    I know nothing much about the Rider stoves and don't think I have seen one in the flesh.
    Your observations about trying to compete with the Coleman 400 are interesting and I can certainly see the resemblance.

Just one question at the moment, is the tank steel?

11. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

So that is what my 323 is supposed to look like.
    I think the one I have should be relegated to the parts bin.

Good deal Doc, you do get out and about some, don't you?

Ken in NC

12. 111T

111T Subscriber

Cool score!

13. Garth

I have the 324 model and while. It's a good looking thing .Optimus missed the mark with easy to use.they work very well when they want to but the makers should have stuck to the 8 r formula I just dusted mine off and used it and have re discovered it's quirks.that o ring pump is struggling to do its job and the quick lighter isn't the best I normally give up and pre heat with meths once they are running however they do put out a lot of heat

14. Garth

Keep it unused that top section discolours and rusts very badly when you actually cook on them