optimus 323

Discussion in 'Optimus No:323' started by fyrwokr, May 8, 2016.

1. fyrwokr

fyrwokr Subscriber

I like this little stove:D. Wife found this at a local second hand store. I already had the 324 Rider version ](*,). A quick once over and found I will need a new fuel cap seal. Used a cap from another stove and fresh fuel. She fired right up. The knobs of course show signs of heat - a very good portion of the knobs are still there. I found that on these small "knuckle burners" the pan size has a lot to do with them getting to hot. Smaller diameter pans always work best. Let it run for almost an hour. Other than a little rust here and there to clean up - a very nice stove. I do wish it had the leather pump cup - really don't like the o-ring style. imagine it wouldn't be hard to convert. The 324 Rider on the other hand has never worked. Got it when I was new to stoves and having better knowledge now I should give it a fettle. It is in very nice shape and probably just needs new seals - if I remember right it was a pressure issue.

P1050474.JPG P1050476.JPG P1050477.JPG P1050478.JPG P1050479.JPG P1050499.JPG P1050505.JPG P1050507.JPG

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

Looks good indeed and it's encouraging to hear about a stove that's not had the best press. Absolutely fair comment about sensible choice of pot base size. Too bad someone didn't work that out themselves and scorched the controls!

When you get around to fettling the Rider, I hope you'll find my rebuild of one HERE of use.

John

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, I have no direct knowledge of the design of the pump shafr and piston of the Optimus 323 but it is possible that a leather washer adaptor could be made:

4. fyrwokr

fyrwokr Subscriber

Thanks John, I saw your post on your rebuild last night. Great detail ! Will have to dive into that 324 soon

Thanks kerophile, I will sure look into the conversion