Optimus 45 Sea Swing in small boat

Discussion in 'Optimus No:45' started by christine_b_1967, Jul 10, 2014.

1. christine_b_1967

Optimus 45 with a Sea Swing installed in a Sparrow 16 sailboat. Perfect solution for a boat with no unused flat surfaces on which to place a stove.

1404961044-HPIM1763_c.JPG

1404961076-HPIM1767_c.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Ahhh, Sea Swings hold a special place in my heart. In 1974 I sailed from Oxnard, CA to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico on a 30' Rawson. Being able to make coffee on an Optimus 45 in a Sea Swing while heeled over on night watch is a fond memory. Your Sea Swing mounted to a sailboat parked in a forest might be overkill though. Just kidding, thanks for sharing.

3. itchy

Thanks for the pictures Christine. Very neat setup. Nice to see one being used on a boat instead of a workbench.

Will you be keeping your boat in Washington for a while?

4. geneislucky

Great to see a seaswing in situ. Thanks for the photo

5. christine_b_1967

Itchy,

I keep my boat at home on its trailer in North Idaho (Moscow, ID to be specific). I try to get over to Puget Sound or the San Juan Islands (in western Washington) at least once a year.

I've been very happy with using the stove on my boat. When I was considering stoves, I realized a gimbaled one would get around the problem of no counter-space to put one in my small boat. With the selection limited to gimbaled stoves, I was either looking at LP (liquid propane) or kerosene (paraffin). For safety I chose the kero at the cost of having to also bring along alcohol for the pre-heating.

My understanding was that the original purpose of these stoves (as noted above) was to have a stove that could be used while underway. I would never do that with my little boat, it could be way to rocky even with the gimbal mount. While I'm moving on the water, I secure the Sea Swing to the compression post with a bungee cord with a boat cushion between the stove and post.

Everyone: Thanks for the nice comments. Although I am quite the science nerd-girl, I have an appreciation of, and often find more useful, older time-proven technologies! :content:

Christine

6. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Christine,

Kerosene and propane are not your only options for a gimbled stove. There's also alcohol and Sterno (jellied alcohol). The Optimus 45s used in Sea Swings were often fitted with 209 alcohol burners like this one:

1405022086-45A_Burner_Side_View.JPG

They also came with a chimney that could be used with a can of Sterno like this:

1405021988-Sterno_Chimney_Side_View.JPG

Alcohol fires can be doused with water which is an attractive safety feature considering how readily available water is to someone floating on it. You'd also be surprised by how well these Sea Swings do while underway even in bumpy conditions. The hard part is not spilling the hot liquid all over yourself after removing the pot from the stove.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  7. christine_b_1967

Ben,

Yes, after I committed to and had purchased the kero version of my stove I learned of the alcohol and even Sterno versions.

When I purchased my Sea Swing sans stove, it came with a Sterno chimney has you described. I carry a Sterno can as a back-up.

As for the fuel, since I had already purchased the stove the choice was already made. However, I learned to appreciate the advantages of alcohol (easy to put out with water, only needing one fuel). On the other hand, I also was reassured that the energy content of the kerosene was much larger which negated any buyer's remorse. ;)

Alcohol versus kerosene??? In the final calculation, I could have gone either way and been happy. :) :)

Thanks for the comments and information.

Fair Winds!

Christine

8. Pitsligo

(Late to the thread, I know.)

Well done, Christine! Glad to see you got it up and running.

I'll second z1ulike's assertion that even in bumpy seas, the sea-swings are very useable. My sloop is only 19', so we can get tossed around quite a bit, but I haven't yet had any trouble.

Fair winds,
    Alex