Optimus 45

Discussion in 'Optimus No:45' started by Rick b, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Rick b

I believe this is similar to Kerophile's '62 stove. This is my first kerosene stove, I got it after I joined CCS in Nov 2008. It has been a challenge to say the least, however today, I got it to run (I think like it should). I had to replace the nrv, the jet was leaking and I had Base camp ship me the Monitor spares kit with the swivel jet tool, that made all the difference and was a great deal too! I put a new jet in and got it tight enough so it no longer leaked. The washers that came with the kit fell apart so I used some exhaust manifold gasket material from the local auto parts store to make one. The washer below the spirt cup kept falling apart so I stuck a nitrile oring there. The lead washer below the fuel tube is fashioned out of an old lead weight that I pulled out of a tackle box (I had read where someone on this site had done that). There is a #7 (I think or maybe an L) on the bottom of the fount and a #1 on the end of the pump handle, not sure what that means if anything. I would like to do some more work on the brass at some point. But just getting it to run :D/

1234046400-Optimus_45_001_opt.jpg 1234046427-Optimus_45_002_opt.jpg 1234046451-Optimus_45_003_opt.jpg 1234046587-Optimus_45_005_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Rick, your Op.45 stove is looking good.

Unfortunately Optimus did not date-code their excellent stoves, so you are left looking for dates on accompanying instructions, or consulting catalogues to try to date small design changes etc.

I am glad that you eventually got seals made and fitted. Have you seen this post on Heat-resistant washers?

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/8382

I think that your lead washer between the tank and riser-tube might be rather big. The original would have been fairly thin lead washer (Part 289)fully contained within the riser-tube, where it sits in its own machined groove.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/9292

Are you sure it is still not there? They can become very discoloured and dull as the lead oxidises.
    If you do need to replace it I will check the dimensions later today so that you may make one.

Nice Fettle.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  3. Rick b

Hello Kerophile, Thank you for all of the information and kind words. How do I go about ordering a set of your heat proof packing (set of 5)? I thought when I received the Moniter spares kit that I would be able to use the ones that came with it, however, as you read in my post they basically fell apart. I knew the size of the lead packing at the bottom of the riser tube was probably incorrect, but when I received the lead packing I had ordered from Base Camp, they were way too small (they must have been for the nrv), so I left it as is for now, if you have the dimensions I will try to make another or try ordering again from Base Camp. I had looked at all of the instruction manuals etc, when I started to fettle the stove, what throws me off a bit is the spirit cup which has the dimple. Maybe, who ever owned the stove before me had replaced the cup with another.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Rick, I can supply DB heat-resistant washers for both 1.75/2 pint stoves and the 1 pint size, at the moment.
    I will send you a PM.

If you are buying Heat-resistant washers I can send a lead washer at the same time.
    The dimpled spirit-cup is not an original for this stove, being somewhat earlier. However it is very useful and better than the later style in my opinion.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

5. FireIsCool

I love this thread, it's going to be useful to me as I get my own 45 going, which I got with a Sea Swing, it will be great to see a nice clean blue flame from kerosene.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  6. shellback

Hi All,

I have an Optimus 45 stove mounted in a Sea Swing.
    It has the silent burner. I took the burner apart to clean it and am not sure it was assembled correctly. The inside part that has a tube with a sort of concave dish attached was tube up. After that there is a dome with a hole that the tube fits into. Last is the outside burner part with all the holes in it. If this is the right sequence, why does the dish part with the tube cover up the vent holes in the base of the burner.
    Whomever had the stove before me had the preheat cup upside down and the Sea Swing base on the wrong side of the nut on the bottom extension riser. I've since corrected this, but I still need to correct an air leak btw. the extension and burner riser. I may also have a leak at the regulator valve as I saw some flames licking at where the stem goes into the valve. Any help showing the correct sequence of assembly of the burner would be a big help.

Ken

7. Murph

Murph United States Subscriber

You've gotta see this stove, Ken got himself one bleep of a deal! :clap:

No dents or dings, pump leathers were in very decent condition, NRV's up to the job, but when he came by the hardware store where I'm working, we looked at it compared to my BD minicap, and the way it's set up, and we both felt something's not quite kosher. :-k

One he gets that and the kero leak in the extension dealt with, he'll one dame nice stove!!

Good seeing you today, Ken! :)

Murph