Optimus 48 from late 1950s

Discussion in 'Optimus No:48' started by kerophile, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, here are some photos of an Optimus 48 I restored two years ago. I lacquered it at that time but didn't get around to photographing the stove until this evening.

1355062510-DSCN0014_edited-1.jpg

The Op 48 is a 1.75 pint, paraffin ( kerosene), collapsible stove with a silent burner. Its sister stove the Op 45 is perhaps more common and it has a roarer burner fitted as standard.

1355062503-DSCN0001_edited-9.jpg

This particular stove is fitted with an Optimus patent "igniter", which you will see clipped onto one of the burner tubes.

1355062517-DSCN0003_edited-7.jpg 1355062525-DSCN0011_edited.jpg

As with many Swedish stoves, the graphics on this Op 48 are beautiful:

1355062533-DSCN0008_edited-6.jpg 1355062540-DSCN0009_edited-1.jpg 1355062550-DSCN0010_edited-3.jpg

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. barrabruce

:cry: :cry:
    Very sad looking stove Kerophile!!
    Think it needs a holiday to OZ.
    Sent it over and let it get a bit of Suntan on it.
    Little soot in its ears!!
    Make it happy again.

3. kerophile

Hi Bruce. I did consider ( for about 5 seconds) sending this stove to you for an Aussie holiday.
    Then I thought no ... within a couple of days he will have fitted a regulated Turbo roarer burner, fourth leg, jet and restrictor for methylated spirits...etc. etc.

Nice Try.
    Best Regards,
    George.

4. barrabruce

:(
    Yeah when that transport cap gets stuck the first time on the pump rod It would have a new battle scarr from the new razor sharp pliars teeth!!
    Could un-solder the bottom and make it into a 1 pinter!!
    just cut a bit off the bottom...
    Be a nice size then have something to post on the week-end.

If it was a silent 1 pinter I might leave....No needs one of the big burners that Magnus has got on it.
    :lol: :lol:
    Have to build a humidified "looking only" cabinet to keep it in if I had somehting pretty like that.

Waining towards the ugly battered look again.

Seemed to have wondered off the True Path 'ol master.

Grasshopper!!

5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Morning, Kerophile,

Yet another simply beautiful stove from your outstanding collection!!! Very well done, Lad!!

I, too, have an Optimus 48, and it came to me with a bit of history. Apparently, the original owner of my 48 was an avid outdoorsman, and loved to use that stove on his adventures. Then, he came down with a mysterious disease, which eventually killed him! His brother, from whom I got my stove, told me that the medical types never diagnosed exactly what disease it was, and that the entire family was justifiably upset about that!

He told me that the stove had never been used, since his brother had passed away. When I received it, I took it out to fire it up, which it did, wonderfully!! I also noted some mud trapped inside the bottom of each leg, remnants of the last time this fellow's poor brother had used his stove!! I've never had the heart to clean it, and so it sits today, exactly as I received it, mud inside the legs, and all!

Still, it's an outstanding stove, and a fine performer!! Yours is simply stunning, George!! I am in awe of your abilities to clean and polish your stoves!! Very nice, indeed!! Please keep 'em coming! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc Mark

6. mr optimus

mr optimus Subscriber

And another stunning restoration by kerophile a real master fettler.These discus style tanks thay realy do look the bees knees a fantastic style to a well made stove well done kero and many thanks for showing it off :clap:

7. Littledre

George if there was a league table for fettling I would place your stoves at the top. And your photography aint bad either.

8. kerophile

Hi, I just checked my notes on this Op.48 stove.
    It is marked on the base of the tank as:

AB OPTIMUS
    Made in Sweden
    UPPLANDS VASBY.

I acquired it from Surrey, England in Jan. 2005.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

9. kerophile

Hi, along with the other two Optimus No.48 stove I have featured in the Stove Reference Gallery I have been thinking about the likely manufacturing period of this particular stove:

1. This stove was produced by Optimus in their Uppslands Vasby factory. The outer silent burner cap is marked OPTIMUS-SWEDEN, so the stove was likely produced before the formation of the Primus Trading Company in 1962.

2. The filler cap is mounted flush into the tank. This feature predates the introduction of recessed fillers into the Optimus No.45 and 48 range of stoves in 1957/8. So this stove probably pre-dates 1957/8.

3. The air-screw is mounted on the filler cap. This mounting position is shown in the 1959 and 1962 catalogues, but not in the 1954 catalogue where it is shown on the side of the filler up-stand.

So,in conclusion, the flush mounting of the filler up-stand indicates a date of pre-1957/8, whilst the top-mounted air-screw suggests post 1954...so late 1950s perhaps?

I do wish Optimus had date-coded their stoves as Primus did.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. Wade

Having sold of my collection of stoves years ago, today was a great day as I just found in the bottom of a box at a yard sale a very blackened Optimus 48. I fired it up already and love it.
    No more selling of stove!!

Four questions:
    1 How was the accessory igniter intended to be used? Dipped in alcohol? Wasn't a match easier to light the alcohol in the dish?
    2 Roughly how many hours will a full tank burning full out last?
    3 Is it ok to apply lacquer to a polished stove if the intent is to use it? Ie heat issues?
    4 It did not come with any jet cleaning needles, how often does one have to clean the jet? Hourly while using?

thanks

Wade

11. kerophile

Hi Wade, welcome to CCS and back to stove collecting.
    To answer your questions:

1. Auto-igniters

2. The manufacturers claim a full tank of fuel will last for up to four hours, but at full throttle you might realistcally get around 2.5 to 3 h.
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/1957-58-appr-optimus-catalogue.9292/

3. If you apply a suitable clear lacquer intended for brass or copper it should be OK for nomal use:

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/stove-restoration-parts-1-to-4.3963/

4. Many more jets get worn out by over-pricking with cleaning needles than do with normal use. If you are using good quality, clean kerosene you only need to carefully prick the jet when it shows symptoms of partial/ full blockage. It is possible to run a stove for weeks without the need for cleaning.
    If you do need to prick the jet, always use a proper cleaner intended for a 0.32mm Diam aperture for your Op. 48 stove.

All the information I have provided today can be found on this great CCS site. Have a wander through it and you will be captivated. The Google search function, particularly when used from the Home page can be very useful for finding particular features, or answers to queries.

Best Regards, and again welcome!
    Kerophile.

12. Wade

Thanks so much for the information. I am off to buy some vinegar to clean the stove today.
    Regards
    Wade

13. Wade

Photo on 2016-06-05 at 7.14 AM.jpg

I am sorting through my parts that I fortunately have kept over the years. The purpose of this accessory escapes me. Anyone have ideas as to it's purpose?

Thanks again,

Wade