Optimus 48 in home made box, one owner from new.

Discussion in 'Optimus No:48' started by Big Si, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

So, I love me a silent burner stove always have. Whilst browsing Facebook market place yesterday a "Paraffin Stove" popped up so I made contact with the seller who explained she was clearing out her late father's estate. He had brought the stove new and used it on camping trips ever since, well into his sixties. He was eighty when he died. I paid the lady then brought the stove home and checked it over last night, but apart from a bit of 3in1 oil on the pump leather, it needed nothing doing to it. I instead it out as it had been dry stored then filled it, gave it a double prime just to be sure and fired it up. The result, it works as it should. After comparing it to others in the gallery I would say it's a late 50's early 60's model? I'm especially happy with the homemade box. It has been made by someone who thought out where things could be stored and designed it accordingly.
    DSC02871.JPG DSC02872.JPG DSC02873.JPG DSC02874.JPG DSC02875.JPG DSC02876.JPG DSC02877.JPG DSC02878.JPG DSC02879.JPG DSC02880.JPG DSC02881.JPG DSC02882.JPG DSC02883.JPG DSC02884.JPG DSC02885.JPG DSC02886.JPG DSC02887.JPG DSC02888.JPG DSC02889.JPG

All the best.
    Si

Attached Files:

2. z1ulike

z1ulike United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Nice acquisition and a great back story to go with it. I'm sure the previous owner would be thrilled to know it went to someone who appreciates the homemade box and will care for the stove as much as he did.

Ben

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Howdy, @Big Si ,

WOW!! You scored a wonderful stove!! Sweet Bride and I have used our Optimus 48's to cook many a meal, whilst car camping, and they always work a treat!! The home-made box is like the icing on the cake, too. VERY lovely acquisition, Sir!! It's also neat that you got a proper windscreen to use with it. Don't see those too often on this side of The Pond. Well done, and thanks for sharing your good fortune with us!! Have fun with it, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. nmp

nmp United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

@Big Si

Great stove and box plus the bonus of an original cleaning cloth?!

Nick

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Big Si . You have a nice stove there and the storage/transport box is a great bonus. I believe that you are spot on with the date range that you propose for the stove.
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

6. Big Si

Big Si Subscriber

@nmp
    Nick, I don't think it's original at all but a washcloth from under the sink. Still could be and if so there may be many of them appearing on eBay very soon.
    @kerophile , all your hard work on the dating makes hazarding a guess quite easy. Thanks for you time you've already put in.

Si

7. nmp

@Big Si
    I have one cleaning wipe and it’s got the identical look to yours!
    Maybe mines from under the sink too?! But looking at adverts they look like the real deal!
    :lol::lol:
    cheers Nick

8. nmp

upload_2020-6-17_21-14-16.jpeg

@Big Si Take a look at the “swab” in the lid of the outfit bottom right?

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber