Optimus 48 - in our garage for 30+ years... =)

Discussion in 'Optimus No:48' started by wulf, Jun 24, 2019.

1. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

2. wulf United States

Thanks Kerophile - I have ordered some parts from the Fettlebox site and should have them fairly soon. The only thing I haven't attempted to dismantle is the non-return valve that seems to live at the bottom of the pump assembly. The kit I ordered seems to include parts for that so if it needs to be repaired I can do it.

3. kerophile

Hi @wulf the NRV is a safety critical item so it is a good idea to extract it from the base of the pump tube, dismantle it and check/change the “rubber” pip washer and the spring before regularly using the stove. The pip could have been there since 1958/9 and might be getting tired.

Please can you take a photo of the markings at the centre of the base of the fuel tank. It will help us estimate a date of manufacture.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

4. wulf United States

5. wulf United States

I ordered the 'reserve cap' too.

6. wulf United States

Hi @kerophile - picture of the markings on the base of the stove posted above!

7. kerophile

Hi @wulf thank you for the additional photo. I am still thinking about it.

1. The “sunken filler” feature of your stove indicates a manufacturing date later than 1958/9.

2. Your stove has an air-release valve mounted on the side of the filler spout of the tank. This feature is shown in the Optimus catalogues from 1972, 1975, 1984, 1985 and 1989/90 catalogues and brochures".

3. The photo you have just provided shows a tank marking of “Optimus Upplands Vasby” which was used in the early years after Optimus acquired the manufacturing rights for Primus liquid fuelled stoves (PTC) in 1962.

I think it likely that your Op.48 stove was made in the late 1960s/ early 1970s.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. wulf United States

Hi @kerophile - most interesting! I can certainly believe that time-frame might have been when the stove was made and likely purchased shortly thereafter.

I'm just now getting a non-return valve tool made up by a buddy who works in a machine shop. A suitable whisky bribe - not to be used while doing the work - has been offered and accepted. Hopefully I'm not so far away from having the stove fully serviced and up and running again.

Thanks again for all your high-quality help and advice. You've always been bang-on with what you have said.

9. kerophile

Hi @wulf it is good to hear of the progress that you are making with your stove. I have just been looking in the Reference Gallery and reckon this stove is slightly newer than your model.

Optimus No.48 from 1970/1980s ?

The tank base on your stove is marked Optimus and Upplands Vasby.

The newer model only has Made in Sweden on the tank base.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.