Optimus 535 Pulsing question

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by lazystar, Sep 8, 2021.

1. lazystar

Hello everyone!

My Optimus 535 has recently starting slightly pulsing a bit ,as well as it will sometimes blow out after pre heat. After checking around the forum , I'm thinking some rolled up brass mesh may do the trick.
    Does anyone know where I can find some? Also , any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Jonny

2. ally

ally Subscriber

watched this the other day, might help

:)

3. lazystar

Thank you so much Ally! This looks to be exactly what is going on with my 535.

4. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

Base Camp has pre cut mesh.
    Duane

5. ally

ally Subscriber

I liked the casual talking as the tank is exploding!

It's a lovely looking stove, would be nice to use it properly

6. Dutchmike

As the 'tank is exploding'? That video by Bernie Dawg is a tutorial, not a video game. I wish people would stick to facts instead of hyping nonsense which does nothing to improve knowledge and ultimately safety. The casual talk might be explained as this person has that (extensive) knowledge and is not fazed by some flare ups. So should we all, and learn from each other based on facts and make no undue drama about it. Mike

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  7. ally

ally Subscriber

I'm sorry I upset you mike

please advise me of the correct term for an explosive event in a fuel tank of naptha and I'll edit my post

I will also try to be more forthcoming and definite with my smiling emoticons, I will see if I can find one with it's tongue in it's cheek

8. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

I guess I missed the explosive part. We all been chastised I guess.
    Duane

9. Scrambler

Scrambler Australia Subscriber

Ally, it's vaporisation in the fuel supply tube, pushing heated fuel vapour back into the tank.

It would be equally accurate to describe boiling water as "exploding" as bubbles of vapourised water come to the surface.

The noise is fuel vapour (like steam) bubbling back into the fount. The tank itself is heating from this boiled (hot) fuel coming back. Nothing is detonating, exploding etc. It is simply bubbling slowly. There is a pressure drop in the fuel line that causes the flame to dip, but there is no oxygen entering the line, just a brief near-absence of fuel vapour at the burner.

I haven't gone back to listen to BD. If he says "exploding" I would assume him to mean "popping" as a sound.

10. Kiwi NZ

Kiwi NZ Subscriber

I have learned a lot from this post, thank you @lazystar for asking it. I have two 535's and did not know that they have a mesh restrictor.
    I will know where to look if they start to play up.

And yes, the word explosion was used several times in the video, possibly not the most accurate description but that is what BD said.

11. Dutchmike

It seems I took the wrong angle on a word game then. Still, I read 'explosive tank' which has nothing to do with anything shown or said in the video, so I took the comment from Ally as a needless excitement not helping a look on technicalities based on fact. That's all. Mike