Optimus 535

Discussion in 'Optimus No:535' started by Niels Chr., Sep 15, 2012.

1. Niels Chr.

Hello
    I just bought this fine stove today. It comes from a boat and it seems to be special made for boat use but is it rare, I have never seen this model before.
    Niels Chr.

1347744627-006_opt.jpg 1347744652-013_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi - nice example but fairly common. This is the 535. Originally a Primus model.

1972 catalogue

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  3. Dutch_Peter

Does it run on Alcohol or Paraffin?

4. corby

Hi The 535 is a good boat stove which runs on paraffin. It is this model of stove Francis Chichester used aboard his yacht Gipsy Moth on his round the world voyage. you have a good buy.

5. Spiritburner

Spiritburner Admin SotM Winner Subscriber

That's the one, except his was the original Primus version. One of our members Henry Pugh restored it for the 2005 voyage which sadly ended with the yacht running aground.

Here's some of the story Link & Link

There is also an alcohol version of the stove - the catalogue linked above shows the different style of burners. I suspect the one shown is paraffin as it's burning so well on that fuel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  6. corby

hi thank you for the links which I enjoyed reading.
    I was very fortunate to go on board Gipsy Moth 1V and see the stove and the famous chair with a swinging balance,GM1V was a remarkable boat sailed by an equally remarkable man, I can still remember the boat well. A lot of sailors used paraffin on their boats for heat light and cooking because of the reliability, I still do.

7. Niels Chr.

Thank you for the answers - by the way the fillercap has puzzeled me a little. Is it a safetyvalve as well, and when you want to shut the stove down, do you just unsrew the fillercap or is there an other way, it seems a little awkward to reach over the burners to open the fillercap.
    Niels Chr.

8. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

the regulated burners should completely shut off and the filler cap will be the wrong one. Yours is for a 123 or similar but should be one the same as the optimus 00 which is the same thread but has an air bleed

9. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Check out the photos of Primus 535 stoves in the Gallery. I believe that the tank was not fitted with an air-release screw, but sometimes a safety pressure-release cap.
    If the regulated burners shut of completely, as they should and you are using the stove regularly for a period, as you might if you are using the stove on a boat, it makes sense to leave the tank pressurised for the next time you want to use it.

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

10. rivermonk

I picked up this stove (it looks the same, no markings that say 535) yesterday for pennies to use on my sailboat. After some cleaning and oiling, it worked super. HOWEVER it has no flame spreaders, so just jets the alcohol straight up into the air. Any suggestions on getting 2 of these spreaders for a reasonable price somewhere?