Optimus 535A

Discussion in 'Optimus No:535' started by Mark Layman, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

New to me Optimus 535A. This is my first alcohol boat stove. The boat registration number is pencil engraved on the tube. VA 090 40 0777. The VA indicates state of registration in the USA which is Virginia. Stove was purchased from a person in Maryland which borders Virginia. So much for geography lessons.
    Complete disassembly and cleaning was in order as the tank had old alcohol in it which had tainted the tank innards black. The burners had to be removed and cleaned and the brass gauze removed and cleaned along with the spindle seats and spindle taper reworked. They did not seal and allowed alcohol to leak through nipple after shutdown. New Viton pips for fuel cap and NRV with cap gasket. Note the older style Optimus fuel cap reminiscent of the embossed style 8R stoves.
    Leather pump washer was replaced as the old one was dry and brittle. Mineral oil applied to maintain it for a long time to come.
    This stove runs best on Galley heat alcohol as I believe the regular denatured alcohol has too much methanol as produced in the USA. Jasco green I am sure would be just as good as the Galley heat brand.

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0738.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0755.JPG

IMG_0756.JPG

2. boknasild

boknasild Subscriber

Congratulations Mark

That's a very nice stove.
    I have an Optimus 535 that runs on parrafin. I'd really like to have one that burns alcohol.

Bjørn

3. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

Thanks @boknasild I await an old homestrand mariner that has the Svea 1915 burners. I plan on converting it to burn paraffin. I will however be needing burner grates so I am on the lookout for a pair of those.

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Very tidy, and a great description of the 'found' state. One has to wonder if the previous owner had given up on it due to lack of the simple steps you took.

5. Mark Layman

Mark Layman Subscriber

My assumption exactly @Simes
    The left side burner did not have the copper cone washer as from the factory but it sealed anyway so I will leave it as is.

6. z1ulike

z1ulike United States Subscriber

That's a great stove you've got there. I especially like the railing and adjustable pot holders. Those are essential on marine stoves to keep your pot of coffee from flying off the burner when you plow into an oncoming wave. I've got the kerosene version but alcohol is definitely the way to go on boats.

Ben