Optimus 8 patent c1940-47

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8 (version prior to the 8R)' started by Trojandog, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Trojandog

Trojandog United Kingdom Subscriber

I have to thank Doc Mark for this stove. When I should have been up steps painting a ceiling, I took a break to go on-line and order some spares for Mark that I will be taking across to him in May. At the same time, I had a quick look on Ebay UK and found this stove on a very reasonable Buy-it-Now that had only been listed for 10 minutes. :lol:

1391299728-op8_01_opt.jpg

The stove appears to have been little used. This is as received this morning:

1391299748-op8_02_opt.jpg

I am basing the dating of the stove on Ross's post here - Link

The case is very good, the base shows it's had little use:

1391299768-op8_03_opt.jpg

1391299787-op8_04_opt.jpg

The Swedish patent number is on the front, with the design number on the top of the case:

1391299807-op8_05_opt.jpg

1391299829-op8_06_opt.jpg

A feature that I've not noticed before is that the sockets for the pot supports are reinforced. I don't know if this is a feature of all early No8s. They are not reinforced on my later, non-patent No8:

1391299851-op8_07_opt.jpg

Another indication of it's lack of use is the tip on the spindle:

1391299865-op8_08_opt.jpg

I checked the wick but it was fine with no charring so re-inserted it and left it alone. The washer in the filler cap was solid but the cork pip in the SRV was quite soft. I replaced both with viton:

1391299886-op8_09_opt.jpg

The Optimus catalogue shows that the stove was supplied with three jet prickers. All three are present but only one shows signs of use, so I would guess they are original. I tried one in the jet and it was a nice snug fit, again suggesting lack of use:

1391300044-op8_11_opt__1_.jpg

The pot supports cleaned up very easily:

1391300060-op8_12_opt.jpg

1391300081-op8_13_opt.jpg

1391300097-op8_14_opt.jpg

Flame shots to follow as it's past my bedtime.

Regards,
    Terry

PS... Thanks Mark :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Evening, Terry,

WOW!!! Now THAT stove is a real stunner!!! :thumbup: :clap: :D :D Glad I could "help" in your chancing into getting it, too! ;) ;) :lol: :lol: I am drooling all over my keyboard, and need to have a pint of ale, just to calm down, after looking that this lovely old Optimus 8!!! Well done, and perfectly portrayed here!! Thank you, so very much, for sharing it with us, and enjoy this very rare and wonderful find!! Thanks, also, for getting those parts for me, and we'll settle up upon seeing one another in May!! Talk soon, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Mark

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

Wow, a stunning beauty.
    Thanks for sharing your good fortune.

Ken in NC

4. geeves

geeves New Zealand Subscriber

listed for 10 min. Bet that seller wont set prices that low again.
    Very nice stove

5. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Terry, what as wonderful find! It is great to see such an original stove, looking like it has just been delivered from a time machine.
    Look forward to seeing the action photos.
    I had seen the reinforced sockets for the pot stands on these early " Patent" models : image 4 of 6 of my green painted Op. 8 shows them.
    Thanks for the post.
    Regards, Kerophile

6. Stoveuser

Now that was a great find. Congrats.
    Sad to say, my Wall of Flame does not include a no8 :cry: and seeing these nice shots of a beautiful stove, makes me want one even more than ever.
    Thanks for sharing.

Best regards
    Stoveuser
    Sans no 8, but searching.

7. Admin

Admin Courtesy of Iani

8. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Subscriber

Thanks for sharing that little Optimus 8.

A well documented and photographed stove. The only drawback on these stoves is the non removable burner assembly,
    making it very difficult to change wicks.

Lovely original condition... looking forward to watching her perform.

Frank
    Sweden

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Terry, Frank, and All,

Thanks to the both of you, I have now found a problem with my later Optimus #8 stove!! I posted what I found, again, thanks to you Gentlemen, in the fettling area. I'll fix that problem soon, and thank you both for leading me in the right direction. God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. Rick b

Hi Terry, beautiful stove, thanks for posting.

ATB,

11. Trojandog

Ian - Thanks for the PT pointing out that the stove is an 8f. I wasn't aware there was an 8f :) . I too thought of Hammerite when I first saw the stove. After cleaning the case I am still unsure. It looks like a Hammerite finish but a couple of things raised doubts in my mind:

1. Areas where the paint has worn shows that it is a very thin paint coating. I have used Hammerite numerous times but have never managed to achieve a thin coat. In fact, Hammerite is known for producing a thick coating. The Hammerite instructions tell you to apply four spray coats.

2. Some areas of the case have received minor knocks. In all of these instances, the paint coating is damaged. I would have expected any new paint coat to cover any knocks.

3. The stove it'self shows very little signs of use. The tip of the control needle, the pot supports, the wick, jet and prickers all show lack of wear consistent with the condition of the case.

4. Hard to explain, but it just 'feels' original.

I don't know if Optimus ever produced cases with a hammered finish. The technology certainly existed. The case of my Villiers Mar-Vil from the 1930s has a hammered paint finish, as do other Villiers in the Stove gallery.

Whether the finish on the case is original or not, I'm still more than happy with it. I would have gladly paid the asking price even if the case had been rust covered. However, it is not my intention to pollute the Gallery by claiming an original finish if it is not. I would be grateful for comments from members as to whether such a hammered finish could be original. I don't have any other early No8 cases to compare it with. I'm here to learn, so if I'm wrong I apologise.

Mark - I hope your pint calmed you down. The stove may go on my short list for May. :lol:

Frank - This stove has the removable burner. The very early number 8's had a burner tube joined to the bottom of the tank. I understand from Berniedawg's post ( Link ) that these did not have a wick. My stove is a 'later early version' where the tube enters the side of the tank and unscrews to allow access to the wick.

I was going to fire it up tonight but I've been sampling my brother-in-law's 'home brew' and know from experience that alcohol, highly volatile fluids and matches don't mix.

Regards,
    Terry

12. Trojandog

OK, it's lighting up time. Priming with a little meths using some wood stove sealing rope in the spirit cup as a wick:

1391460918-IMG_8418_opt.jpg

Opened the control valve a little and an instant blue flame:

1391460942-IMG_8419_opt.jpg

Let it run for a minute then opened up some more:

1391460963-IMG_8431_opt.jpg

That'll do for me :D/ :thumbup: . I don't think I have another stove that runs from light up to fully open without a hint of yellow.

In my post above I said that my Villiers has a hammered paint finish, but as John (presscall) has correctly pointed out, it is really a crinkle finish. So I'm still unsure about the finish on this stove case.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  13. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Beautiful, a real gem.

Alec.

14. Knotty

Beautiful blue flame from simmer to high. How wonderful.

15. Pinky

Pinky Subscriber

Congrats on the great score Terry, and thanks for the fantastic pics! They really help a lot with discerning all the little differences that make each model special. A well made and well presented stove, and in such great shape! :D/