Optimus 8 series weekend photo shoot

Discussion in 'Events & Meets' started by johnsnz, Nov 10, 2007.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Subscriber

Doc, either you're beginning to totally lose the plot or it's about time you started writing that series of books for kiddies - Cyril the Camping Stove! ;) :lol:

Think 'Thomas the Tank Engine', 'Bob the Builder', 'Budgie the Helicopter' - you'll make an absolute fortune..! :lol:

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Brother David,

"Cyril", get it? He's named after the Russian cyrillic alphabet!!! Hey, fun is where you find it, Lad, and I seem to be able to find fun in just about everything!!! ;) 8) :lol: :lol: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Lads,

Mods, do any of you know why this thread suddenly ballooned in size, width-wise? All was well, and all of a sudden, it is now way too large, and I'm reduced to scrolling to see some of the photos, and to read all the text. It went from perfect to a PITA. Any help, or suggestions, would be appreciated! Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

4. TrainManny

Hey Men,

An awesome effort all around! Just what I would expect from my CCS brothers. Here are a couple of thoughts...

- I noticed I'm not the only person using the GSI kettle, a nice piece of gear. (though the lid doesn't stay secure.)

- I was suprised at the number of colors that the 8R came in. The green color of Doc's 8 is especially nice.

- It looks nice and warm in Austrailia and cold in the Northern Hemisphere. :(

- A children's book about Cyril the Russian Stove.... :-k

Cheers,

Manny

5. lobey_d

It was very cold, damp and miserable here yesterday but I thought I'd try taking a few photos anyway.

This is my lovely old Optimus No8.
    opt8-3.jpg

There was not a single trace of any paint anywhere so I have started to restore the bare steel box. I think I need advice from Kerophile and Exteter_Yak on the proper techniques :oops:

Here it is open, and like Doc, I love the nickel plated tank. Pity the plating is off the tank lid/relief valve.
    opt8-4.jpg
    I think it's a "wee stoater" :lol:

Now is this a repainted 8R or a clone? I'm not sure. Doc? Anyone?
    opt8-7.jpg

Both together
    opt8-6.jpg

Feeling a bit below par so it's just soup and a brew
    opt8-5.jpg

Unfortunately just a minute or two after this pic the heavens opened and rain stopped play - sorry folks :(

Much later, in the greenhouse, I tried to at least get a bit of cherry red to show you but the results are as miserable as the weather
    opt8-8.jpg

opt8-9.jpg

I wish I had something better to show you guys, but maybe next time.

6. TrainManny

Hi Jim,

No apologies are needed. I love that Optimus 8 and it looks great without paint. Does anyone know how long the 8's were produced? I've seen them in dark green, is that the original color?

Best wishes,

Manny

7. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Jim, I believe you have two genuine Optimus stoves there... no question of a clone creeping in.
    Likewise the unpainted finish looks good, and as long as you keep the stove clean and dry there should be no rust worries.
    Your photos are good and I think the low weekend temperatures might have had something to do with the lower flame level. How about keeping a look-out for a midi-pump and caps?
    Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

8. fyldefox

fyldefox R.I.P.

It's the pictures which Jan Merx posted ( sorry Jan ! ). They are 1024 pixels wide rather than the accepted width of 640 . . . when we move onto CCSv3 we won't have this problem as pictures will be automatically resized when posted.

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hey, Keith,

OK, now I get it. Not to worry, Jan, I used to do that, too, back when Chuck first had the patience to teach me how to post photos!! :oops: :oops: :roll: :shock: But, once I got the hang of it, I size all my photos the proper 640x480, and so far, all has been well.

Hey, speaking of Brother Chuck, has anyone had contact with him? Richard? Anyone? Maybe he's been super busy, but it's been a while since I remember his last post. Hope he's OK. Maybe I'd better send him a note and see. If anything is untoward, I'll report back here. Thanks, again, Fyldefox, for letting me know what cause the scrolling to begin. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

10. bark2much

Hello, I thought I would share a few pictures of my collection of 8Rs and other related items.

Here is an unused 8R with the chrome tank. It comes with all the paper work. NOte that the stamp says "8", not "8R." Apparently the factory used the shell for Model 8, in order to exhaust the stock. Later shell has "8R" properly stamped.
    |imgRemoved|
    |imgRemoved|
    |imgRemoved|

This is another one with the chromed tank, but it is now retired.
    |imgRemoved|

An earlier model, but with the brass tank, retired, of course! Note the "8R" stamped on the shell.
    |imgRemoved|

This is a later model, unused.
    |imgRemoved|

A late model, but retired.
    |imgRemoved|

My one and the only M99. Semi retired. Note the home-made windshield.
    |imgRemoved|

My one and the only M199. Active duty.

|imgRemoved|

Then my second class citizens, all active duty.
    |imgRemoved|

At ease! The center three 8Rs had been repainted. These three came in despicable conditions, and I had a certain standard of disciplne among the troops to maintain! Not that I did a great paint job, but it will keep the rust away.
    |imgRemoved|

Sorry did not have time to do an extensive action shots. Just one 8R will have to do.
    This is how I prime an 8R. I have a fiberglass pillow under the tank, and another piece wrapped under the burner.

|imgRemoved|

Sorry, did not bother to correct the perspective. 8R is doing what it should.
    |imgRemoved|

NIce cherry.
    |imgRemoved|

Another view of the same 8R, but taken much earlier. Hmmm. Where did you see something like this? If you say avatar, you get an A+!
    |imgRemoved|

Thanks for viewing.

11. Alberta Pete

as usual i'm a day late and a dollar short but i just knew you guys would feel all empty inside if i didn't post a pic or 2 of my humble little 8R s at work
    25th086.jpg
    skidoo029.jpg
    They aint pretty but they do as they are told make fire and cook dinner :D

12. lobey_d

Thanks for confirming that, George. Maybe I'll repaint the black one like Jan's red one - love the colour 8)

Yes, I thought it must have been the low temp keeping the flame low. If you look closely you will see that I've removed the heat deflectors to get the tanks hotter. Also I'm trying out panel wipe - I hope that's not the cause of the poor burn :roll:

I've not seen a pump available at any of my regular search haunts as yet but I will keep looking. When you say "caps" do you mean for fitting the pump to different stoves?

Manny, thanks for your encouragement ;)
    Sorry I can't answer your question but one of our CCS historians surely will.

Thanks to everyone else for the pictures. Some great stoves out there 8) :D :D

13. Diesel

Better late then never. I dont get weekends off. I got 4 fired up. Two have the wrong jets in them. The frankenstove in the back right demands to be run alone. This is the group shot. 2007_1211111stove0001.jpg Phoenix backpacker clone 2007_1211111stove0002.jpg 2007_1211111stove0019.jpg The double shielded frankenstove. 2007_1211111stove0028.jpg Getting warmed up. 2007_1211111stove0022.jpg 2007_1211111stove0023.jpg 2007_1211111stove0025.jpg 2007_1211111stove0017.jpg 2007_1211111stove0013.jpg 10.5 inch skillet , got her opened up now. 2007_1211111stove0012.jpg Thats what I'm talking about. 10.5 inches of red hot flame. Out of the bunch, The Phoenix backpacker has the best even burn. The Optimus with the crooked flame is a work buy I havn't touched yet. . The shiny blue ones are my repaints. The Frankenstove has a 111B jet in it. The flame actually gets bigger about another inch if I leave one shield on. it will boil 2 cups in under 3.5 minutes . Verses about 7.5 for the other 8 Rs. You guys have some nice stoves. Its always real nice to see such magnificent pieces in some very fine country. I do enjoy seeeing other parts of the world . Cyril the Russian stove :roll: And we have Twix bars too. Happy Holidays

14. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi Jim, the pump I had in mind is an Optimus Midi pump, and if you take a look at Doc's photos in the earlier part of this thread you will see one in use with his Optimus Ranger stove ( Like an 8R with a big silent burner).
    To attach one of these pumps to an Optimus 8-type stove on a 123 stove, you need to exchange the existing filler cap for a new one which includes a non-return valve. In this way the tank can be pressurised to aid fuel supply to the burner when it is too cold for self-pressurisation to do it all by itself.
    You will need to keep an eye open on eBay for a pump, or recently someone found a US supplier of new ones at a good price.
    Best Regards,
    George.

15. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

My Turn.. WOW--a call for stove photos sure brings out the best in CCS :D

PC070009.jpg

i have just two of these stoves, the clone on the left in the photo and on the
    right a real 8R ..i have posted photos of the clone before,it has a windscreen
    and runs like a blowtorch--the 8R was my second stove buy inspired by CCS.
    a Butterfly kero burner was the first..i picked up the 8R from the odds and ends
    room at a local sporting goods shop..it was missing one of the pot support wires
    which i have replaced..it never has got much use..my 123 works better..this one
    seems to run a bit "weak".

PC070017.jpg

it is however a real "pocket stove"..the photo shoot will be the first time i
    have fired it up in years..the last time was to see how it would work removed
    from the case as a light weight burner to take on hikes..it fit into a small
    cooking pot and i used stones around it as a pot support..ok idea but why
    bother when my 123 did the job with less hassle..

ok ---now the burning photos---first off the melting into the snow problem..

PC090038.jpg

well that was solved by the timely arrival of new plates for my car--

PC090043.jpg
    i used the old plates to dig out a windbreak in the snow--- PC090044.jpg

and with one behind and one under the stoves i gave them a good
    shot of meths for the per-heat---it was about 12F so i really dumped
    it on..and off they went---

PC090049.jpg

they are roaring--or should i say "purring" along --we all know
    how hard it is to get good cherry red shot in the daylight...
    i also have two 99's but for the shoot i thought i would stick with the 8R

16. Texas

Dave,
    Looks like you came down in the middle of a skunk fight.

Is the windscreen on the clone a part of the case or is it a seperate part?

Looks a mite coolish to me. Weather reports say you folks are really getting it. About 80 degree F here today. Highly unusual.

Bob

17. theacox

Since I only have the 1 8R, he brought along his bigger brother to help out.

100_9392.jpg

This is the 8R (my first liquid fueled stove, BTW) cooking up a 1 pot meal for me.

100_9395.jpg

This is a mixture of stuffing mix, mashed potato mix, gravy mix and TVP (textured vegtable protein...soybean meat).

It is a mixture I found on the whiteblaze website. I use these prepackaged one pot meals while camping and bike touring.

Tim

18. splitbus

Hey Tim we need to get together for our own Colorado Gathering sometime!! We seem to be the lonesome reps from CO one eastern slope, one western

19. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

Bob--it was Dave V.S. the Skunks--final score--Dave two--Skunks 0 :D
    the windshield is a seperate part..one end snaps on the front pot holder wire--
    i'll post a close-up shot--

Tim..looks like you could use a old license plate under those stoves--that looks
    like a real "solid"meal your cooking up-i'll have to check out that site--

20. rik_uk3

Better late than never (I've been working night shifts), last night I went out back to take a couple of shots. Fired up a 8, 199, and a 99, great stuff. Took some shots then put the camera on top of a billy can next to me, the lid was not on right, and the camera went flop into 2 litres of water :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

My nice Fuji is now FUBAR, but I'll try again tonight with my back up camera

Bloody expensive things these stove shoots :roll:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015