Optimus 8 with great hinge repair

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8 (version prior to the 8R)' started by ArchMc, May 1, 2021.

1. ArchMc

ArchMc SotM Winner Subscriber

Here is my Optimus 8, shown with the brass windscreen I made for it. DSC03934.JPG
    The main purpose of this post is to document how a great case repair (by the previous owner) restored what would have been a parts stove to full usability.

This post in the Fettling Forum from 2016 documents Ken's @snwcmpr efforts to restore the case, rebuilding the rusted out and broken front hinge that allows the tank to swivel forward.

Here is the repaired hinge today (2021).
    DSC03935.JPG The metal is sound. The unevenness is where new metal was brazed on.

I've used this stove on a number of trips since Ken gave me the stove. One of those is documented in the Action Gallery here.

Especially considering the usage I've given it, the repair has held beautifully. The only changes I've made to it are the brass windscreen and a wick in the priming cup.
    DSC03936.JPG

Putting it through it's paces. Priming:
    DSC03937.JPG A nice strong flame:
    DSC03947.JPG The tea test:
    DSC03945.JPG Success!
    DSC03946.JPG
    ....Arch

2. presscall

presscall United Kingdom SotM Winner SotY Winner Subscriber

@ArchMc @snwcmpr I regret somehow missing Ken’s post on the restoration and the postscript regarding the gift.

Better late than never to enjoy reading now. My compliments to you both, guys.

John

3. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

You can't get any better than a repair that passes the test of time. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    I also like the wind shield. It is a good addition. :thumbup:

4. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

I am honored by the honor.
    I am so glad to hear that stove is holding up.

5. Majicwrench

Majicwrench Subscriber

I had to look to make sure it wasn't one I repaired......I've done a couple of 8R's over the years,.

Awesome old stove.