Optimus 8

Discussion in 'Optimus No:8 (version prior to the 8R)' started by mbechtel, Apr 2, 2011.

1. mbechtel

After replacing the filler cap gasket and the wick, this stove burned very well. I did have a lot of trouble getting it primed. It took 3 fills of the priming cup with alcohol before it finally got hot enough to take off. This case has been re-painted. I can see the tell-tale signs of the familiar old green in a couple of spots, but whoever painted it did a good job, so I might just keep it as it is.

1301708047-op8_1_opt.jpg 1301708055-op8_2_opt.jpg 1301708063-op8_3_opt.jpg 1301708071-op8_4_opt.jpg 1301708077-op8_5_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2015
  2. Lance

You replaced the wick but did you run some kind of cleaning rod/brush/wire through the tubing after removing the old wick to remove any built up gunk in the fuel line. And did you clean under the nipple and supply valve to ensure it was able to deliver fuel to the burner properly????

Great looking stove other wise. I like that bronze colour. I think it's much better looking than the blue/bleu seen in the pictures and on most other 0-8's. Nice flames too.

lance

3. mbechtel

Hi Lance,
    Yes, I gave all the plumbing a good cleaning while it was apart. Everything works as it should, but that minature priming cup holds so little fuel or alcohol that it just doesn't last very long. I can easily see why the later models got a more standard size cup.

4. dday

dday Subscriber

Nice #8 Matt! I really like the embossed cases that Optimus made. I've seen a few #8's available but have never been the winner. Nice score and great flame!
    Dan

5. BernieDawg Banned

Hi Matt
    I have a couple of 8's and that little spirit cup just won't do the the trick on the first go around in my experience. Another collector I know who has some 8's says the same. So, not to fret on yours, it seems to be the nature of the beast to do a double (or triple) prime to get them going. OR, another approach is to find some small pan larger than the supplied cup and just keep it in the case and use it under the burner for the prime. It's what I and some others have settled on. Once you get them going, they're the dog's. Thanks for sharing yours. :thumbup:

Cheers,
    Gary

6. mbechtel

Hi Dan, Thanks, I've been after a number 8 for a while now. I really like using the box style stoves in the field...it's their stability. I too like the embossing Optimus did to their cases. Keep your eyes peeled!...you'll find one. This was listed as an 8R, but that key and the nickel tank told me something was afoot. The "8" on the case was not visible in the photo. I bid and won...and not until I opened the box when it got here were my suspicions confirmed! I could have asked the seller, but I like a good mystery.
    I'm sure others suspected it as well as the bidding got a little higher than normal for an 8R, but all in all, a good deal.

1301845725-Op_8_listing_photo.jpg

Hi Gary, I was looking at the pics of your older Op 8 in the gallery and THAT is what I'm on the hunt for! I love that older style case. I lost out on one a while back. I have a spare 8R with messed up threads at the burner bell and I keep it mainly for parts...although it does work. I was thinking of trying that spirit cup on this 8 to make the prime better, but I'm leaving it alone and just going with the multiple primes. I DO like the way it's held up off the bottom of the case by that little post. It keeps the heat off the paint and makes it easier to see if you spilled a little fuel in the case while priming...which I've done and blistered paint :oops:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  7. Knight84

Very nice 8F Matt. A great find!

Cheers,
    Jeff

8. Ian

Ian Subscriber

I've recently acquired an 8, cleaned it up & fitted a new wick. It fires up just fine on a single prime of its own fuel (Aspen 4T) in that tiny priming cup.
    I think that forcing its own fuel, by whatever means, thru' the jet into the priming cup is the only way to have any chance of doing it in one. Opening the valve in good time; certainly before the prime is finished, or keeping it cracked throughout, also helps.
    Dropping fuel or alcohol into the cup externally, as it were, is a bit of a non-starter ( :oops: ) There needs to be fuel vapourising in the burner pretty much from the word, 'Go'. That great big wall of steel in the shape of a heat deflector works far too well at start-up time.

9. mbechtel

Thanks Ian, I'm going to give it a try. So far I've only filled the priming cup with alcohol.