Optimus 8

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by short tip, Apr 23, 2008.

1. short tip

short tip Subscriber

Hi all, can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between an Optimus 8 and 8R? Mine just has a number 8 stamped in the lid. Also, this stove came with a mini-pump and the associated cap. It seems a bit quirky. Opinions as to the pros and cons of these?
    Thanks in advance, PK

2. the priest

the 8 was the first model of this stove and may burn hotter. the 8r (the second generation) is like the Svea 123r in that is has an internal cleaning needle, but is otherwise the same in function.

one note,....some cases marked '8' have 8r's inside. they apparently used the 8 cases until they ran out. the cleaning needle in the 8r is accessed by turning your key all the way to the left. if it is an 8r, a very small needle will poke it's head up through the jet in the middle of the burner. this will tell you if you have a 8r in a 8 case,....or if it's a real 8. ;)

Good stove, reliable to a fault, won't let you down,.....parts are still available in the States at A&H.

3. Prime Us

Hey PK,
    I'm no expert, but I think the 8R has the internal pricker that clears the orifice when you turn the valve all the way counter-clockwise.

Don't forget that 8-8-08 is WOED! Worldwide Optimus Eight Day - Celebreight the Eight! It will be the biggest Optimus 8 (and variations) event until 3008, so you won't want to miss it. Anticipeight, Innoveight, Mastur-oh, never mind, but it will be the stove event of the milennium with no shortage of exemplary hyperbole and deliberate misspelling. I don't think that there has been a celebreightion scheduled for The Granite Steight, this is your chance to join the pantheon of the Greights, don't hesiteight!

Best...
    Gary

4. short tip

short tip Subscriber

Thanks, I must have the "transitional" model, since this one does have the internal pricker. I can't weight 'til 8/8/08. I hope there are no negative climate impacts when we all fire up at the same time....... I reside in the Old Dominion, so I'll have to cross a border to get to the Mountain Steight.

Any opinions on the Mini-pump? I'm not sure I feel the need.....

5. alanwenker

alanwenker Subscriber

What's the canoe in the avatar? Looks nice.

6. the priest

The mini pump isn't a bad thing. In very cold weather it's a good thing. You probably don't NEED it,....but it's dependent upon how you use your stove, pot size, and also how cold. ;) The bigger version, the midi pump, (angled body to the pump instead of all straight) is much easier to use)

Because of the small tank only a couple of pumps are usually needed.

Having said that,...........if you want to sell it,.......please let me know. I'm out a lot in the winter and would gladly take it off your hands for a very fair price.

7. rik_uk3

Spill a little pre heating fluid in the case, this heats the tank and away you go, but from a safety point of view this is done at your own risk

8. short tip

short tip Subscriber

The canoe is a Thompson Bros. Ranger from the early 50's a standard issue Forest Service and Scout Camp model. I bought it from it's original owners, a Boy Scout camp, oddly enough. Took all winter and half the spring to remove the 7 or 8 coats of blue paint they had applied over the years. We added the seats and replaced the outwales, decks and some other stuff, as well as a re-canvas. Stable enough to cook in...heh heh.

Priest, I confess, I have 2 mini pumps but only one cap. If you can find or have a cap, let's work a trade for some other spares or something. You talked me into keeping one for XC ski season.

I thought pouring fuel into the case was SOP!

almostdone.jpg

9. Prime Us

Oops. I saw VA and thought VT.

L8r,
    Gary

10. the priest

short tip,

PM sent.

11. alnl1996

I got a stupid question why is the early 8's and 123's regarded as hotter stoves compared to their newer versions with the cleaning needle :?:

Take care

12. Prime Us

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that the needle, along with its rod and associated mechanism, though convenient, restricts flow.

13. alnl1996

Makes sense,which begs my next question: Has anyone done a comparison of the two?
    Say an 8 and an 8R side by side boiling a litre of water...hmm makes me wish i had an 8 :?

Take care

14. the priest

When each hits it's maximum burn you can see and hear the difference. I don't have a pile of these stoves but have enough of each to say I don't have much doubt about the 123s being hotter. (or the claim that they are)

Except for the angle of the throttle I definitely like the 123s better.

15. Prime Us

Hey alnl,
    May I call you alnl? Many of the WOED* regional conclaves will feature side-by-side boil-offs. TAG Heuer is a semi-official sponsor of Worldwide Optimus Eight Day and will be providing the same precision timing equipment used in the Olympic curling events.

Best...
    Gary

*8-8-08

16. rik_uk3

You can line up a row of similar stoves, light them all up, and there will be a slight difference in burn on them all.

17. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hey, Guys,

I have quite a few Optimus 8R's, but only one Optimus 8. I also have many SVEA 123's, and quite a few SVEA 123R's. I can definitely say that the 123's are much hotter, and with a much more easily controlled simmer, than the 123R's. As to the 8 vs the 8R's, I have to say it's a toss-up, or at least it is for mine. My Optimus 8 works very well, but I have a nagging feeling that it would work better if I replaced the wick. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison, someday, and if I do, I'll report back here. Suffice it to say, I prefer either stove without the internal cleaning needle, but can make do with either version.

One more comment, if I may: I never slosh fuel inside the case of any of my stoves, when priming, unless by accident!! Doing so is a great way to bung up the paint job of the case, which can eventually lead to rust. It also can lead to premature failure of the NRV/safety cap plug, especially if done quite a bit. There is also no reason to so do, as far as I'm concerned, as a good, careful prime, using just the spirit cup, as designed, will start such stoves every single time, without fail. In winter, or very cold conditions, I do use a mini, or midi pump with either the SVEA 123, or the 8R, and find it well worth it's weight. Just my comments, and your mileage may well vary..... ;) :D Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

18. knutb

I agree 100%, but accidents do happen, and that's one of the things I like about the 8/111 style stoves: If I happen spill a little priming fuel, it ends up in the case rather than on the ground.

But hey, we can't have all this talk about 8's without a picture, can we? :)
    optimus8.jpg

Knut

19. Prime Us

Yay, celebrate the 8. I've gotta agree with Doc, spilled fuel is why you see so many scabrous, rusty Optimus 8s. I try to take care of my gear because I want it to last forever, but on the other hand, I appreciate that others might choose to not fetishize their stuff.
    Doc, it sounds like you have a wealth of 8s. I have 2 and on WOED* I'll be doneighting half my collection to a worthy recipient as a symbol of eightly brotherhood.

*Worldwide Optimus Eight Day; 8-8-08. If you can't attend, mark your calender for the next on August 8th, 3008.

Eleveight-1.jpg

20. hobowonkanobe

or a completely scalded 99. same diff. Hell same tank and burner, exactly.

looked like some one FILLED the base w/ petrol and lit it! idiota!