Optimus 80, new to me (also Primus 71)

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Greeley, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Whether I needed it or not, an Optimus 80 showed up on the local sale board and I picked it up yesterday for the princely sum of $50. Brought it home cleaned some of the dust off, gave it the dunk test. It passed, so I added a bit of Coleman fuel and fired it up. Great flame, good old helicopter putting. Seller said it was his stepfather's, he had no idea of its former use. Stove container showed some signs of a minor conflagration, but otherwise it doesn't appear to have been used much. Included a funnel and packets of both Optimus and Primus prickers (apparently unused). Except for the Optimus etching and label on the canister it appears to be a twin of my Primus 71. Would be interesting to know its vintage. Here are photos of both stoves.

Also wondering if I should try to straighten the "tilt" of the riser (and risk a crack) or if I should just let it be....

Tom

Attached Files:

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi @Greeley . Your new Op.80 has an engraved tank and a case with an adhesive label on top. These would indicate that it could have been made just before, or just after the formation of the Primus Trading Company (PTC) in 1962.
    Have a look through this thread:

Data on PTC Optimus 80s & Primus 71Ls

Best Regards,
    Kerophile.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  3. Metropolitantrout

Metropolitantrout SotM Winner Subscriber

@Greeley
    I've had a few stoves like yours that were easily straightened out by holding the tank firmly on a flat surface and applying pressure to the vaporizer. Cheers, Jerry