Optimus 80 Spares

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Gunner, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Gunner

I've just put in a bid for an Optimus 80 on Ebay, which is described as "1960s" - and I notice that Base Camp list very few spares for this model, which surprised me somewhat. Looking at the pictures, though - both in the ad and on here - the vaporiser / burner assembly looks very similar to a Svea 123 (not the 123R), with the characteristic down-sloping tap. I also note from Wikipedia that Optimus acquired Svea in 1969.
    So my question is - do spares made for the Svea 123 also fit this era of Optimus 80 stoves? If not, do parts from any other stove fit the Model 80?
    I'm not sure about what looks like a soldered repair to the vaporiser, where the spindle housing joins the body; if it's soft solder, I'll get a replacement burner, as I wouldn't feel happy with trusting it to hold up if the stove is running for any length of time. If it's silver soldered, it would be fine. The seller has included a picture of the stove running - but I'd still want to make sure about the vaporiser. Optimus 80.jpg Optimus 80 2.jpg

With best regards to all,
    Gunner

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    If you do need a new vapouriser (I think you might not), look for one a Fogas.se if Base Camp does not have one.

Cheers

Tony

3. Gunner

Thank you, Tony - I'm much obliged!

Gunner

4. Gunner

Update - I didn't just buy the stove shown above; I bought another one to keep it company . . .
    In mitigation, I wish to point out that I suffer a chronic lack of adult supervision!
    Optimus 80 A.jpg Optimus 80 B.jpg Optimus 80 C.jpg

Do you think they'll breed?

Gunner

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Yes. They breed.

Tony

6. Gunner

Oh. Like my collection of books . . . and Bardic lamps . . . which, at times, make me feel like King Canute!

7. Gunner

Just to clarify, re. my first post; the area which I thought might be a soldered repair on the burner was, in fact, just a reflection from the camera flash - and I apologise to Twoberth for any offence which I unwittingly caused.

Gunner

8. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

@Gunner
    No problem. If it had been a repair I would have said so.
    Hope you like the stove.

9. Twoberth

Twoberth United Kingdom Subscriber

Also shown here.