Optimus 81 (NEVER LIT)

Discussion in 'Optimus No:81' started by lanevitt, Jul 18, 2010.

1. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi Chums,

Here are a few pictures of my Optimus 81. Never been used, so fresh as a daisy !

Said to be one of the best spirit burners made to date !! Now, thats a bold statement !!! being a dedicated Trangia lover, it will be hard to convince me.

Here are some pictures.

1279457777-stovie_bits_003_opt.jpg 1279457786-stovie_bits_006_opt.jpg 1279457795-stovie_bits_008_opt.jpg 1279457803-stovie_bits_010_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2015
  2. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

For anyone who has never seen one of these in the flesh so to speak, here is a look as to how it operates and how you fill the stove with spirits.

The base unit is an all in one burner assembly,unlike a trangia where a small brass vessel sits within an aluminium holder/ base unit.
    The best way to describe the 81´s burner unit is to think of a rockwool ring doughnut encased in an aluminium jacket, with an aluminium tube running through the centre. This tube is ported in the portion that meets the ring of the burner, so allowing fuel into the stoves absorbant filling. (Picture time)

1279458719-1.jpg 1279458729-2.jpg

The two pictures above show the flame tube in the centre of the burner. This is where the filling takes place. If you notice you can see the filling material. The second picture shows a grey plate at the base. This is a sliding plate to control full burn to a slow simmer. It does this by increasing and reducing the amount of up draught flowing though the burner tube. (bored yet?)

1279459189-3.jpg 1279459199-4.jpg

The pictures above show the sliding vent and its operating handle.

"Okay Andrew, so if its open all the way through, how do you get the fuel in without spilling over your nice Gucci walking boots" I hear you ask !!

The filling is carried out by using the red plastice filling tube. Closed at the base but has weep holes around the sides, lining up with the burner filling, when the filling tube adaptor is correctly fited within the burner.

1279459688-5.jpg 1279459700-6.jpg 1279459711-7.jpg

3. -/-

Wut, no flameshot :lol:

4. Wim

Wim Subscriber

No worries Henrik, Andrew is only waiting for the sun to go down to show us some wonderfull flame shots, aren't you Andrew? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards,

Wim

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Greetings, Guys,

Andrew, great stove, the 81 Trapper. I've come to love the Trangia, too, but in truth, the 81 is much easier to use for cooking, and burns hotter, too. I have three of them, one early model, and two of the later ones Optimus made, with an outstanding improvement. I love those stoves, and so does Sweet Bride! Ours have kept us fed and watered on many an adventure, from the Sierra's, to local mountain tops, to several journeys up in Alaska, they have always come through with flying colors!

A few years ago, I posted a report on one of my 81 Trappers, and took almost exactly the same photos as did you, Andrew!! Even the "peek" down inside the burner, is the same as you did, Lad!! ;) 8) :content : :lol:

We've found the 81 Trapper to be easy to light, easy to use, and a fine stove, indeed. Early versions, such as yours, and our original one, lacked a safety feature that later ones had: a weep hole in the side of the font, which obviated the tendency to over-fill the stove, which happened regularly, unfortunately. With the new system, you opened up the hole, which had it's own cap and chain, and filled the stove in the regular way, with Meths, UNTIL you could see Meths just begin to weep out of the hole. Cap it up, and you are off to the races, your 81 filled perfectly, and without the chance of leaking and fire!! This outstanding feature also made it easy to top up after using that stove, too, which is a fantastic feature, as we always like to carry ours filled and ready for action! This stove, so used, is very probably the fastest stove to get into action, of any stove we own, and, that, my Friends, is saying something!! Unlike the Trangia, when you open up the stove and fire it up, the 81 is ready to cook, immediately, with no warm-up necessary!!

Does this stove have ANY faults, at all? Well, yes, it does. The Achille's tendon of this stove lies in the very thin rubber o-rings on the safe-fill tube, which, by the way, are two different sizes :!: . These thin o-rings tend to break after a while, and once they have cracked, leakage is immediate. So, we always carry a few spare o-rings, just to be prepared, AND we never install the safe-fill tube without first having lubed the o-rings with lip balm, or at the very least, spit. Word to the wise, Folks: Do this religiously, or you WILL break one of those thin little o-rings. Been there, done that, and didn't care for it, one bit!! :cry: :doh: [-X [-( :-({|=

Andrew, you have a wonderful new stove, and I am one who appreciates a nice "virgin" when I find a mint stove! If you decide to never fire this one up, it will retain it's special honor, and also it's value as a collectible stove! However, should you fall victim to your own firey desires to use your "virgin", be advised that, whilst it will lose it's special appear in one way, it will gain very special appeal in another: You will very likely love using this stove!! Once the pots have been allowed to get their hard patina of brownish coloring, which will happen after a few uses, the stove works better, and better, and better, too!!

So, whether you fire it up, or keep it a "virgin", your Optimus 81 Trapper is a wonderful stove, indeed, and most certainly one of our most trusted and loved models!! Congratulations on getting your own, Sir!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

6. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Hi Chaps

Henrik...flame shots is it ?? Waiting for dark ??
    Denamark in mid summer, thats almost midnight when that happens. So, its a trip to the barn where its dark in the tractor shed !!

Thanks for those words Doc. I would like to see your early post of the 81's operation. Compare notes and pictures. No i didn't see your's then copy it. Too much work involved !! easier to provide a link to your old post saving me all that uploading and cropping photo's.
    Soon off to fire up the 81. One thing stands out with this setup. IF you loose the red filling tube, you are scuppered !!

7. -/-

Unless you know a handyman, he said knowingly O:)

8. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Hi, Andrew,

Check this link, and see if it takes you to my original post on this fine stove.

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/3794

Sorry, I don't know how to shorten links, yet..... :oops: :oops: :whistle: 8-[ :doh:

I believe there are more posts about this stove, and in fact, am sure of it. But, I'm to church soon, and don't have time to seek them out. In any case, you can see how close our posts and photos are! Cool! 8) 8) :content : :content : Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

P.S. By the way, I never even considered that you might have "copied" the stuff from my original post, Sir! "Great minds...", and all that, right?!! 8) ;) :content :

9. RonPH

Andrew, what a lovely piece of kit you have there. One on my MUST HAVE list. Anyone out there's got an extra? Do let me know.

Ron

10. rik_uk3

Doc convinced me about the value of quality of these stoves, they are fantastic. I've had four in total but now have two and as Doc says they cook far better than the standard Trangia. The only possible drawback is that you can't pack a kettle inside. I last used mine on a camp with 4B and the stove cooked all the food for my lad and I all weekend with ease.

A great stove now fill it up and light it :)

11. lanevitt

lanevitt Subscriber

Optimus 81 Now lit !!!! 8)

1279477465-stovie_bits_037_opt.jpg 1279477480-stovie_bits_039_opt.jpg

Whilst operating the control lever, it suddenly hit me,,Its just like the control lever on my webber grille !! :lol:

12. rik_uk3

Good man :) Once lit its like cooking on a 'real' cooking ring, very simple to use.

13. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Congrats, Andrew!

Well done! I think that, as much as you seem to like the 81 now, you will like it even more as you get used to cooking on it! Right now, I can only lay hands on three of the ones I've had. That means I either gave one away and have misplaced the other, or I still have two more of those wonderful stoves, buried down in the Hobbit Hole, someplace!! 8) 8) :lol: :lol: Cool! Have fun with your 81 Trapper, and welcome to the 81 admiration club!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

14. DAVE GIBSON

DAVE GIBSON Subscriber

there are very few stoves i'm really impressed with and the Trapper is one of them.Doc's raves and photos plus i saw Alan run his on our "very mini" meet--just he two of us--a few years ago.it struck me as light enough to haul around on canoe trip but big enough to really cook a meal--and it simmers!.
    it's the only stove i would go so far as to buy on my bank card if one came up for a realistic price.

15. theyellowdog

I must admit I have been thinking about contacting you, Chickenthief, to see it you could make this part. Rik-uk3's has posted photos of one with a alloy insert instead of this red plastic one. I think the plastic one will last me a life time... but if I melt it or something silly like that I would be stuffed.

The trapper a fantastic stove! The only think that irks me is the pot holders don't really fit in the stove when you pack it up, they just squeeze in and this dents the base of the burner.

Andrew, I am glad you lit this stove! BRILLIANT

Dan