Optimus 81 Trapper

Discussion in 'Optimus No:81' started by Billyboy, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Billyboy

I got a text from a good friend, that lives 700 km away from me. He was on a road trip in southern BC, about 700km south of his place and texted me a picture of a stove. He said he saw it and thought I'd like it.
    Do I ever!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Billyboy

The Chapstick is there as per @Doc Mark 's instructions on lubing the o-rings.

3. IvanN

IvanN United States Subscriber

That's interesting. It's a new stove to me. I'll have to read up on it in the reference library.
    Ivan

4. NP4-8-4

NP4-8-4 Subscriber

You have a good friend there Billiyboy! A nice score indeed. Thanks for posting photos too.

5. shagratork

shagratork United Kingdom Moderator Subscriber

A very nice stove, often underrated.
    It is very well photographed for the gallery.
    I have seen and used an 81 but have never owned one.

6. orsoorso

orsoorso Subscriber

Simply the best spirit stove ever built. Period. It' a Trangia with what a Trangia lacks: power, fine power tuning, adequate cooking time for gourmet, fuel efficiency, no scalded fingers :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    It lacks just the possibility to store a kettle inside, quite a small flaw.

7. Ridge

Ridge United States Subscriber

Sweet Maria, you've just scored the Holy Grail of spirit stoves!

Congrats!

8. brassnipplekey

I've had good /interesting times with an opti 81.
    Interesting stove ..Why aren't there a lot more of them in our world ?
    'Simply the best spirit stove ever built ' ? oouch thats a big claim..... Trangia afficionados would probably dispute.
    I've 7al 'similar'alco stoves .... the 81 isn't the 1st one ithat i'd grab and go.. usual rider applies... ymmv.
    Big bonus is that you CAN play football with it...obviously without the kettle !!!..
    I dont want to get scaulded. Boiling water is hot !!!
    Have a play with a cheapo such as Ledmark /Tor purple flame/clas olson assaklit/ trangia with a simmer cap. get to know your rimmer sing .
    Good stove ? YES. The best spirit stove????? 'Close but no cigar '.. my reckoning.
    The fry pan is not a natural inhabitant on the stove, breakfast/fry up can easily go slip sliding away.
    Opti 81 central draught regulation is an interesting principle.. Just a bit flawed in its '80s Optimus heavy realisation . Filler tube O ringed and the measuring plastic thingy ...which are aside whilst the stove is operating. Alcohol is a buggeroid for evaporating, fast, the 81 doesn't seal sufficiently to meet my requirements for keeping fuel in my stove whilst in transit/storage.. Dried 'O' rings on Trangia (type)burner seal?caps are an established PITA....Lightweight or not. Trangia users if not already bin it/throw it away,rid yourself of cap and O ring seal.
    Keeping alcohol long term (even here in a cold climate)....unless its well sealed = PITA.
    I'm of a belief that unless it's a daily user stove .. you don't keep alcohol in your burner/stove.. it's a beautifull /horriblus/monster /seeking /Steel/Alu with alco is not a marriage evap/intrametalicorrosive..
    Suggest ? spray or protect all the steel and plastic bits with silicone ..lip balm at a pinch .. spit/saliva works
    The pots/pans are generous for reasonable volume gourmet cooking.
    I still like it/them .... But it does have limitations.
    My thinking....It's a 'Classic Camp Stove' It worked good for me under canvas/plastic ..x camping counties/countries.I'm (As an alco/keroffin/pump petrol stove user)always thinking . alco is for lightweight... opti 81 is a n also ran in alco stoves ,,,,Classic ..
    It would be behind a Trangia in my grab go bug out must haves ..
    How cheap is alcohol where you're travelling ? Is it available/legal ?

:-)..... Don't they simmer absolutely beautifully.
    Cooking stove ... Look after it .

Nick

9. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Howdy, Billyboy!

Sorry for being late to this party, but we've been inundated with work since this past Christmas, and though we thought it would have tapered off by now, the work keeps rolling in!! Not complaining, as we VERY much appreciate that blessing!

In any case, you have the best version of the Trapper 81!! I have three now, after gifting one away. One is the original version, which is good, but not as good as the last version, like yours!! The little weep hole in the font is a sublimely masterful touch, and makes refilling very easy! I'm very happy that you love your 81, and have to agree that it's head and shoulders above almost all other Spirit stoves. I put the Trangia on the same level, though I still much prefer the sliding vent lever and the longer cooking time of the Trapper 81. I can't say it's "better" than the Trangia Tribe, which are fantastic.,capable, and very simple stoves. But, it's on the same level as the 81, and just different. I could be happy with using either stove. But, we have used our 81's on some really hairy trips, and it's never let us down. Both SB and I love how it cooks, and simmers, with a touch of the lever!

Well done on getting one of these for yourself, and many thanks for tagging me so that I can share your happiness in your Trapper 81!! Take care, have fun, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (VERY happy for you!!)

10. Albatross

Albatross Subscriber

Hi fellow stories,
    The Optimus 81 are still about, I have just been to a local cash converters and couldn’t believe my eyes, walked out of the shop with a complete Optimus 81 for the sum of $25.00,
    Cheers to all
    Albatross

11. Harder D. Soerensen

Harder D. Soerensen Denmark Subscriber

Congrats on a great score @Albatross!
    I really like those old Optimus pots'n pan sets. I have the Optimus Loke 85 and it just works very efficiently with a great simmer.
    Should I ever see an affordable Trapper 81 - I would buy it on the spot.