Optimus 8R box repair

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Haytum Aboneaaj, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Haytum Aboneaaj

Haytum Aboneaaj United States Subscriber

hey guys, just got my Optimus 8R bought a few days ago. Going throw the cleaning, I’m in need of the cleaning needle and a nozzle.

If someone has them in the United States please send me a message or reply I’m PayPal ready. I’m also looking for a nozzle A stamped. For alcohol.

Question one, can I use the A (alcohol) stamped nozzle in my 8r.

Question two how do I fix the retaining bracket that holds the stove to the box it appears to have snapped off on one side, will heavy duty glue work, maybe soldering or?

Finally the box was missing the chain that holds the regulator to the box. Will I be able to find this to buy?

Pictures below.
    Thank you in advance.

8328CF6C-5698-422B-91FE-C958246DE90A.jpeg

384B9E60-682A-42DA-B2D8-1784AD8A9D42.jpeg

2. hikerduane

hikerduane Subscriber

The 8R uses Coleman fuel/camp fuel/white gas only.
    You might want to spend some time reading up on stoves and where to find parts. This is the wrong topic area to ask for parts. Like I said, spend some time getting up to speed.
    Duane

3. Haytum Aboneaaj

I don’t see anywhere else in the forum that said repairs or parts. I know the 8R uses white gas but I thought changing the nozzle to Alcohol type would be okay.

Would you be so kind to share with me where I can order parts ?

But my main concern at this point is getting the tank holder fixed please.

4. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom Subscriber

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  5. Haytum Aboneaaj

My apologies. Just noticed the fettling thread.

6. shueilung.2008

Man, first I don't think any glue is going to work, that's an "spot solder" or "electric arc" soldering. You can solve it with rivets or bolts, but it will never be the same. Anyway if you are more interested in functionallity, it will do.
    And NO! You can't use alcohol in your 8R as @hikerduane said, it's white gas/Coleman fuel.-

About the chain, I usually put this if the chain is lost:

Foto0418.jpg

Cheers

Enrique

7. Haytum Aboneaaj

@shueilung.2008

Thank you for your reply. I will only use white gas in the 8r. But as far as the bracket its More of a cosmetic thing for me, don’t like seeing it like this. And it is efffecting the functionality of the opening and closing the heat shield hits the pot pot holders when you try and open the stove.

8. Haytum Aboneaaj

My apologies.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  9. Colin Geer

Colin Geer Subscriber

If you search around your local area, you might find someone who has a spot welding machine, maybe a metal fabrication workshop of some sort or even some schools might have one in the metalwork/tech/craft departments - can't remember what it's called in the States. My local school has one but that's in Scotland!

10. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

hi, @Haytum Aboneaaj ,

I don't think we've met already, so welcome to CCS, Sir! Yes, your 8R uses the fuels that have been mentioned, but don't try to use it with alcohol, or kerosene, or any other fuel. It's a one fuel stove, which has to be Naptha-based, like the fuels that have been suggested.

As to your needed repair. If this is a user stove, then you might consider a few ideas that are not super pretty, but highly functional and strong. One, is to drill one hole in each part of the folding shelf, and the bracket bar that holds your stove. Use pop rivets to make it strong and tight, and call it good. Maybe stronger might be a set of Chicago screws, which can be had in various sizes, and consist of two prices that screw together, once inserted into the holes you will drill. You could use regular nuts and bolts, but that is bulky and cumbersome looking, at least to me eyes. Last, is send the case to someone who can do the brazing needed to make bond tightly, then repaint your case.

Lots of decisions for you, and maybe some new skills to be learned along the way. I should probably warn you that buying such neat little stoves as your 8R is highly addictive, and leads to a medical condition which I call "the Stove Pox"!! There is no known cure, and it will cause you to buy more, and more, and MORE stoves, until you have to move to a larger house, as your stoves will take over where you live, now!!! YIKES!!! (Just kidding, of course, but you probably get my meaning!) Most of us have "the Stove Pox", and happily so!! Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc