Optimus 8R burner issues

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Brian Whyte, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Brian Whyte

Brian Whyte United Kingdom Subscriber

5F408C6F-BC7B-4FB6-BE90-A5CAC87744BA.jpeg Well my fettlingnof my 8 r burner went a bit astray by holding and important part with pliers when heating cherry red to clean it!!! So a couple of helpful folk here recommended Fogas in Sweden. Very quick service and burner fits great BUT I can’t close the case as the clip at the back to locate the burner folks thinks. The new burner is lacking a collar to raise it from the clip. Did i get the wrong one???

2. afoton

I had to check out my 8R. The 1974-model does not have the clip, and has a bell without the collar. The older model have the clip and bell with collar.

3. Brian Whyte

that answers that then @afoton. So, order a new one but keep the wrong one and get another 8r??? or, send back the wrong one :) thanks very much for your help :)

4. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Just get another 8r that needs the bell you have. I'm sure there's one out there just waiting for you. Or.you could always take off the section from the old bell and braze to the new one.

5. Brian Whyte

it's no longer round in shape!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

6. Simes

Simes Subscriber

Time to get it that nice bright red colour again then and squeeze it the other way. Just be gentle this time. Nothing to lose really at this point and you can get some practice in for serious fettling. :)

Wooden mandrel to knock it over so not to cause further damage, it'll be a bit smokey so I wouldn't do it in the kitchen.

7. cmb56

cmb56 Sweden Subscriber

Depending of in which condition you want the box to be in but have you concider to try to bend the clip downwards to see if the burner goes in all the way and you can close the lid?
    If it is working you can bend it right again if you need to use it for another burner bell.

Michael

8. afoton

This is how a collection grows. I have a part, I think I try to get the rest of the stove :)
    Svea123R use the same bell, so that is another option if you don't find a 8R without bell.

9. Brian Whyte

Cheers folks. It would fit without the clip but I think I'll just order another, correct fitting bell!!

Someone has asked for the bell for another stove, so, it's away to a new home.

Thank you all for helping :)