Optimus 8R Heatshield? Anybody got a spare??

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by Mendologist, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mendologist

Hi all and Happy New year when it arrives in your time zones!!

I have been given a thoughtfull Christmas present by someone who has taken note of my interests.
    A cracking little Optimus 8R.
    Cleaned up the brassware and burner etc, runs lovely, going to repaint it soon, BUT -
    It doesn't have a heatshield.
    Out of stock in the UK at Base Camp for the forseeable future.
    Can't see any at mo on the auction site.
    Does anyone have one to sell please to complete the stove?

Much appreciated for any help in finding one.

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark Subscriber

Morning, @Mendologist ,

Congrats on your little 8R. Great stoves, they are! Have you tried getting in touch with A&H, here in California? I know it's overseas for you, but they may well have what you need. Their eBay handle is bella10202. Take a peek and see if they can help you. Good luck, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. snwcmpr

snwcmpr Subscriber

I have found that there are enough of these being sold with damage to find an inexpensive stove to take the heat shield from. Also, there are a lot of the stoves, like that, being taken apart and selling the parts individually. I acquired a heat shield in that way for an Optimus 8(Not 'R') later version .. a seller sold the part individually.

Ken in NC

4. Mendologist

Thanks for that info guys.
    probably by the time one is shipped from A&H, the cost may be very prohibitive but may currently be the only option.
    Not in a big rush at mo, got to rub down and repaint.

Thanks again.

5. Ray123

Ray123 Subscriber

Check with Base Camp. The part number is 2060 and it's listed as temp out of stock with a GBP 3.50 price. You never know until you ask but they may have a used one around or maybe they have one and haven't updated the site yet.

6. Mendologist

Hi, yes e-mailed Base camp. Definitely out of stock with none available to order for themselves at the moment.

7. Mendologist

DIY - Stainless heatshield.

Only option appeared to be to order one from the USA at approx $30.00 posted to UK!
    So decided to have a go at making a replacement heatshield Bought a piece of 0.7mm stainless, 200mm x 200mm. Enough to make 2 from.
    Made a paper template from the other stove I had.
    A bit of a monkey to cut out but next time I think i'll use a finer hacksaw blade! Took lots of filing after cutting - stainless sharp edges!! 2 hours later, peeled off the vinyl and it's a lovely brushed finished on the outer side.
    Formed round a cylinder with tie wraps and a rubber hammer, (would use hose clips next time i think?)

Poor lighting angle makes it looked creased (it's not) but it came out an acceptable copy.
    Template should be readable in front of stoves if anyone needs it.

Optimus 8R heatshield 001.JPG Optimus 8R heatshield 002.JPG Optimus 8R heatshield 003.JPG Optimus 8R heatshield 004.JPG Optimus 8R heatshield 005.JPG Optimus 8R heatshield 006.JPG

8. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Mendologist

Good work! There's something satisfying about doing your own manufacturing (when it all works out).

Cheers

Tony

9. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A Christmas present and a nice looking home made heat shield. It's no longer just another 8R. :clap:

10. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Mendologist,
    What a really good job you did of the heat shield, & yes you are right, circlips will make the job much easier. I used them myself on another job alltogether. So much more satisfaction when it's DIY. Congrats & Best regards.Optimust.

11. monkeyboy

just curious, what cylinder did you use. by the way, most excellent replacement part. as said above, not just another 8R.

12. Mendologist

Hi monkeyboy and thank you. It was an industrial gas cylinder for a blow torch, a refillable/exchange type.