Optimus 8R Melts Itself To My Table

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by PerraHunter, Sep 19, 2021.

1. PerraHunter

Good afternoon,

I have a quick question about my new to me optimist 8R stove. It is melting itself to the table or chair or whatever I put the stove on when I run it. Is this normal?

I placed a bit of tinfoil between the burner and the inside of the box as an insulator. I can’t tell if that helped or not. The bottom of the priming cup rest directly on the tin box. Is that the way it is supposed to be or is there supposed to be some kind of a spacer to hold it off the box? In playing with the stove I to set it on a wire trivet just to protect the table, but that makes it ridiculously tippy.

I grossly overpaid for the stove recently at one of the big antique malls near me, and all it needed was a bit of a rinsing to get the dust off and some fresh fuel. It fired up right away the first time.

Thank you for your help,

Russell 66C64698-4DE7-4413-9503-B72B9D3D2E10.jpeg 933C0CD0-F38B-4399-9E9E-B10C2D472230.jpeg

2. Doc Mark

Doc Mark SotM Winner Subscriber

Hi, Russell,

Yes, the 8R runs very hot, and you should put some better insulation underneath the stove, when using it on any plastic, or vinyl surface. A good square of an old Ensolite pad, wrapped in heavy duty aluminum foil should do the trick. Or, you can use a square of good fibreboard, or plywood underneath it, Aluminum, by itself is not good protectionfor your tables, and such, as you have sadly learned. Good luck on and congrats on scoring your 8R! Great little stoves! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc

3. itchy

Agree with Doc. They can get hot enough to do that. It is a good idea not to use them directly on finished surfaces; a piece of scrap lumber or plywood is not a bad idea though.

4. Rangie

Rangie Subscriber

Perfectly normal :lol:

I carry an 8" square piece of oiled 1/8" plywood with my 8R in case I have to use it on any good surface as a heat-insulator.

Alec.

5. snwcmpr

snwcmpr SotM Winner Subscriber

What size pan are you using?
    An oversized pan can add to an already hot stove and tank. And if using that large pan for a considerable period, you might have other problems.
    Have you checked that the SRV pip is in good order?

6. PerraHunter

Great, thank you for your responses. I have a nice cork trivet that I can trim to fit, and will keep it with my stove.

Russell

7. Fettler United States

What you'll find too, is "pressure stoves" also need to be insulated against ice or snow or even frozen ground for optimal operation. The tank needs to get hot, and stay hot. Not too hot, though hot nonetheless. A small piece of ensolite foam or cardboard will help considerably.

8. Greeley

Greeley United States Subscriber

Just wondering, since the 111-type stoves and 99's and 199's operate on the same principle do they also get as hot while in operation (or--as cold in the snow)??

Tom

9. SveaSizzler

SveaSizzler United States Subscriber

Yes. And Svea123s too.
    I have a ceramic insulator under my stoves when used in my backyard. Ensolite on the road or trail.

Attached Files: