Optimus 8r mess kit

Discussion in 'Stove Forum' started by esphojo, Apr 10, 2020.

1. esphojo

esphojo Subscriber

Got this singel burner/tank with no case. Anyone knows of a mess kit or other with a perfect fit? 20200409_121132.jpg

2. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

3. kerophile

kerophile United Kingdom SotM Winner Subscriber

4. Optimust

Optimust United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Esphojo. I had the same problem as you & arrived @ this solution, with UK
    army mess tins. 20171223_122624.jpg lii View attachment 23373

The burner & tank unit fit inside the small
    tin, which is drilled to accommodate the control knob, & fitted with loops to hold the pot rests. The large tin is the pot & lid.
    There is some room inside for the accessories you may need.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  5. Daryl

Daryl United States SotM Winner Subscriber

Looks to me a Optimus 99 case would be a perfect fit. Might be some time before someone parts one out. I have a SS cook pot that is about 5" dia. and has flat fry pan lid maybe something like that inverted might work? Or maybe a little open wire pot stand like you would use with a trangia stove, all you really need is a pot stand anyway. Daryl wet SoCal

6. esphojo

esphojo Subscriber

Thank you, all. For the links and input. I'll have to decide if I'll make some potstands or go for the 99-lookalike

7. Lennart F

Lennart F Sweden Subscriber

I just had to check my Optimus 8 with broken rusty tin - the swedish "Enmanskök" windshield just need a small adjustment to work with it and has correct pot rest level - either getting a longer control knob or simply lift the stove when adjusting the flame - tank outside and burner inside. The m40/44 pot has plenty of room left with the naked 8 inside but it just miss a few millimeters to get the corresponding bulky army cutlery inside.
    I feel this will be tested IRL in the future as I have a very battered stainless m40 with even more bashed windshield of most common vintage that doesn't matter very much:-k:idea::-k

8. pysen78

pysen78 Subscriber

9. Lennart F

Lennart F Sweden Subscriber

@pysen78 That link confirms my feeling about it without going to my car to check the Radius 46 - I think a 15mm longer burner stem would center Optimus 8 in the windshield but I think it would be safe even with that short stem.